Sponsored

Pretend I'm Dunder Mifflin's Michael Scott and please explain to me (slowly), what is the 6th gear for on my 2022 JLU Willys?

InVinoVeritasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Willys and JLU Rubicon
Ok, the 6 spd/3.6 is a lot of fun and I have zero complaints about the clutch. It is very fun to drive. The Willys JLU is still stock, so it's set up as the engineers intended. But what in the world is that 6th gear about? What were the Jeep engineers thinking? I was sure I would find a use for it on a road trip, but after a two hundred mile trip today with two passengers and no heavy cargo, the gear baffles me. What's it for? Because I can't find any use case for it. I can't imagine what would happen if I put any bigger tires on it. Thanks!
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Ok, the 6 spd/3.6 is a lot of fun and I have zero complaints about the clutch. It is very fun to drive. The Willys JLU is still stock, so it's set up as the engineers intended. But what in the world is that 6th gear about? What were the Jeep engineers thinking? I was sure I would find a use for it on a road trip, but after a two hundred mile trip today with two passengers and no heavy cargo, the gear baffles me. What's it for? Because I can't find any use case for it. I can't imagine what would happen if I put any bigger tires on it. Thanks!
I have only used it on the interstate...65+mph, and that's with 4.10 gearing in the Rubicon.
You're right, it's pretty useless. I mostly use 4th, sometimes 5th at 55+.

OP
OP
InVinoVeritasty

InVinoVeritasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Willys and JLU Rubicon
I have only used it on the interstate...65+mph, and that's with 4.10 gearing in the Rubicon.
You're right, it's pretty useless. I mostly use 4th, sometimes 5th at 55+.
Willys has 3.85 gearing.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
But what in the world is that 6th gear about? What were the Jeep engineers thinking?
It for if you regear. They’re thinking people modify Jeeps with big tires.

Deleted member 59098

I use it all the time. If there's light traffic, everyone is going 75-85. 6th seems quieter, maybe more fuel efficient? What I don't like are grades where you're going 65-70 in a mandatory 3rd or 4th gear. Feels wrong, but well below redline.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Willys has 3.85 gearing.
Which makes 6th even more useless, I get it.
I use it all the time. If there's light traffic, everyone is going 75-85. 6th seems quieter, maybe more fuel efficient? What I don't like are grades where you're going 65-70 in a mandatory 3rd or 4th gear. Feels wrong, but well below redline.
Considering cars used to have 2 or 3 gears, 4th is not bad at all. It's my preferred gear around town.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I took a trip to TN from IN. On the portions of highway that i could get 65+ I set the cruise in 6th and watched the live MPG stat to show about 28-30. Running stock sport S (with cold weather pkg tires). 3.6 with Manual no eTorque. So yea 6th is about as useless as an automatic stapler

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
4.10 with 33" on Rubicon should be about the same as 3.85 for 31.5" tires on Willys I guess.
Yeah, I forgot about the smaller tires.
6th is pretty useless, but I suppose it's the standard these days when autos are 8 speed and up.
I use it all the time on my VW though.

Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
It's for long flat highways only at 72 mph or greater to maximize fuel economy when you're on cruise control. That was my conclusion, anyway, after I did some experiments at various speeds in 5th and 6th.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I took a trip to TN from IN. On the portions of highway that i could get 65+ I set the cruise in 6th and watched the live MPG stat to show about 28-30. Running stock sport S (with cold weather pkg tires). 3.6 with Manual no eTorque. So yea 6th is about as useless as an automatic stapler
But automatic staplers are awesome, man!

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
short answer.. mpgs

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It's for long flat highways only at 72 mph or greater to maximize fuel economy when you're on cruise control. That was my conclusion, anyway, after I did some experiments at various speeds in 5th and 6th.
as little a drop in rpms as 5th to 6th makes it still helps
Sponsored