Sponsored

Anyone else stalling their manual Jeep trying to reverse in 6th gear?

Nonskid

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I know this isn't necessarily a Jeep thing but I was wondering if other people had a hard time breaking that muscle memory. I drove a 5 speed lancer for 12 years and to be fair I've only had my Jeep for 4 days but it's getting embarrassing.
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
My only issue is I randomly shift into 3rd instead of first a few times so far and don’t realize it until I take off again... Not big issue if I remember to stay calm. But when I completely goof up, is when I feel rushed in traffic trying to get into a appropriate gear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nonskid

Nonskid

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
My only issue is I randomly shift into 3rd instead of first a few times so far and don’t realize it until I take off again... Not big issue if I remember to stay calm. But when I completely goof up, is when I feel rushed in traffic trying to get into a appropriate gear.
Yup. Been there.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned a variety of 6-speeds, German, Japanese, and American, but none of them had a reverse lockout collar like the Wrangler, so it's a novelty to me, and I haven't mis-shifted when trying to back-up.

But I understand the issues with muscle memory. I have tried to push a non-existent clutch pedal in an automatic transmission car a couple of times. If the brake pedal is large, and catches that left foot...oh, that's a barrel of monkeys.

Imagine smoothly, gently braking for a turn, then trying to push a non-existent clutch pedal which ends up in mashing the brake. No fun for driver or passengers. LOL

OP
OP
Nonskid

Nonskid

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I've owned a variety of 6-speeds, German, Japanese, and American, but none of them had a reverse lockout collar like the Wrangler, so it's a novelty to me, and I haven't mis-shifted when trying to back-up.

But I understand the issues with muscle memory. I have tried to push a non-existent clutch pedal in an automatic transmission car a couple of times. If the brake pedal is large, and catches that left foot...oh, that's a barrel of monkeys.

Imagine smoothly, gently braking for a turn, then trying to push a non-existent clutch pedal which ends up in mashing the brake. No fun for driver or passengers. LOL
Ha ha. Or anyone behind you.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
My first time in an SS camaro it was so stiff I went from 1st to 4th, but the V8 took it as a challenge and took off anyway.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Not to mention every time you forget you’re wearing a tiny bit off of your pressure plate.
You’ll get used to it though. I’m half lucky because my Isuzu work truck is also 6 speed with reverse left and up.
I say “half” lucky because 1st is left and down and 6th is right and up.
Thank God most take offs on the truck are in 2nd gear which is where 1st is on the Jeep.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
My first time in an SS camaro it was so stiff I went from 1st to 4th, but the V8 took it as a challenge and took off anyway.
You reminded me of my first truck driving job when I was 18 years old. I had to drive a 13 speed Road Ranger transmission out of a loading dock with the bosses standing around. I stalled out a couple of times and was embarrassed as hell. I thought I was in 1st but was in 3rd. I managed to take off without stalling and comically drove off the entire property in 3rd without shifting. Once I was away and the pressure was off I figured out the transmission and was fine. I laugh at the thought because 3rd in those monsters is only 15-20 mph and that’s how I drove out.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

That's exactly why I installed a dead pedal on my '21 JLR w/ Auto Trans.
OK, left foot. Your pedal is there. Just press that pedal. Press it all you want. Keep yourself entertained.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
I know this isn't necessarily a Jeep thing but I was wondering if other people had a hard time breaking that muscle memory. I drove a 5 speed lancer for 12 years and to be fair I've only had my Jeep for 4 days but it's getting embarrassing.
For me it's driving my manual Cummins that is almost impossible to stall then jump into the Wrangler that needs a few R's to get moving. So yes, I feel your pain.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
That's exactly why I installed a dead pedal on my '21 JLR w/ Auto Trans.
OK, left foot. Your pedal is there. Just press that pedal. Press it all you want. Keep yourself entertained.
I got a chuckle out of my daughter when I reached for the ghost shifter driving an automatic rental. Luckily I didn't yam on the brake with the left foot.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
You are not alone. I have done it, though not often. Corvette 7 speed, R is all the way right and down. Jeep of course all the way left and up. You will get used to it.
Sponsored