J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Update: glass guy just came and went.....to confirm for others P/N#68401325AA is for the JK only. I questioned them a few times and "home base" said it would fit, they were wrong. The installer knew immediately and so did I :) They will now work with a local dealer for proper P/N replacement. We'll just keep waiting for that Gorilla Glass :(

jmkling

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rvgreenboard.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR with Sky Top
Occupation
Retired Navy Commander
Wife caught a rock on the interstate, very small hit but a 15" crack. I was able to fill it about 60% with a $10 repair kit, only had the Jeep two weeks and 500 miles. Had my JK for 3 years, got chips but not a huge crack from a small hit. The windshield is definitely not as resilient as the JK. I figure I'll hold for now until I get the next one....

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My guess would be $300? I'll find out Monday......
I'm not sure if it was this exact stuff but when I got my expensive (Huper Optik) tint done they told me it's only worth coating the glass if you're driving a Lambo or something where windows cost thousands. He made it sound like it'd cost several grand which surprised me.

Let us know. $300 I'm down for, for comparison sake my tint was around $950.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I'm not sure if it was this exact stuff but when I got my expensive (Huper Optik) tint done they told me it's only worth coating the glass if you're driving a Lambo or something where windows cost thousands. He made it sound like it'd cost several grand which surprised me.

Let us know. $300 I'm down for, for comparison sake my tint was around $950.
Wow.....you know what - you're probably right; otherwise, this stuff, if worked as advertised, would be the most popular thing out there in the Jeep world.......

Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
So I met with the Madico Clearplex dealer Monday night. I walked away impressed and booked an appointment for an application in a few weeks.

The stuff is like you'd expect - a clear, think film and the process takes about 2 hours (they have to compound the windshield) to "install". This stuff is used mostly for high end cars - he had mentioned he has applied this on a lot 911's, Ferraris (and a McLaren last week and applying it to a tour bus next week) and Wranglers. Who knows if this is true but this guy got stellar reviews.

According to this guy, it's a great protectant. Downside: It will only last about 3 years before it gets hazy or scratched up and about 5 to 7 years if your car/truck is garaged and kept inside most of the time.....It cost $400 to install. Worst case is I hate it and have it stripped off....

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I sent @JeepCares a PM about this. I would think this is on FCAs radar, but no idea. It's obviously an issue.
I would think there has to be a class action lawsuit against FCA. There are WAY too many windshields being replaced because they went with a thinner glass to save weight.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I would think there has to be a class action lawsuit against FCA. There are WAY too many windshields being replaced because they went with a thinner glass to save weight.
A lawsuit for what exactly? Such a litigious society we live in. Do you have any proof of what you’re saying? The thickness of the glass has nothing to do with it. The glass is too brittle.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
I live in Alaska. Both of my trucks have cracked windshields and we replaced the cracked windshield on my wife's daily driver to prep it for sale when the Diesel Wranglers are reality. I don't replace windshields until the crack extends through my view.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
A lawsuit for what exactly? Such a litigious society we live in. Do you have any proof of what you’re saying? The thickness of the glass has nothing to do with it. The glass is too brittle.
Yes, we do live in a "way too litigious society". I totally agree! But, sometimes, there is actually a legitimate reason, unlike the majority of the "politically correct" BS that seems to fill up our courtrooms today.

The JL windshield... is it "too thin"? Is it "too brittle"? The point being made is... "it isn't right"! Whenever you read countless testimonies on this forum and others about not only JL owners that are on their 4th windshield in less than 6 months, but there are numerous reports of how the windshield would just crack while driving down the road with no vehicles in front of them to deliver a bouncing stone into their windshield.

It is probably a combination of both, being too thin and too brittle. The Wrangler is a very unique vehicle. Being that you can not only remove the top, but also the doors, this sets up a structural body that probably has a lot more flexibility in it than any other vehicle on the road. I believe mounting a windshield in the same conventional way as other vehicles, IF this is how Jeep did it (I don't know for sure), is probably a big mistake. Because of the increased flex in the body, the windshield SHOULD be mounted in a manner where it almost "floats" around a seal/gasket. Not where it is loose, but it has to be able to move slightly and not be just totally adhered or fixed to the windshield frame. This might explain why some JL owners have reported that their windshields just cracked while driving it with no one in front of them to cast a rock/stone into their windshield.

A class action lawsuit??? Maybe a harsh statement I made earlier. But, the facts are that there seems to be an indisputable issue with the windshields in the JL. Until the problem is corrected, FCA should be picking up the tab on windshield replacements except where they can prove negligence or in cases where a HUGE ass rock hit the windshield that would most likely have cracked any windshield on any vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sandow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red 2 DR Rubicon
FCA is currently deciding if they are going to pay for mine, which was one of the windshields that spontaneously cracked when I was driving it home from purchasing it. They know full well there is a problem with their windshields. As the rep that is handling my case is fully aware of all the complaints. The dealer in my hometown absolutely sucks to put it mildly. They took photos 3 weeks ago, and told me they would contact me and FCA when they sent them in. Well 2 weeks later FCA called me and said the dealership forgot to send them in. So I’m supposed to hear something this week.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
i had a rock crack my window on memorial day. saftelite is charging me 728 for install at the shop in montgomery alabama. they did not have anything other than OEM according to them.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
So you think that the windshield, which you can fold down, is somehow an active structural element of the body to transmit forces and torques? What do you think that big beefy ladder frame underneath the body is doing?
Hey, I am just bringing up some possibilities. When a windshield spontaneously cracks without being hit by a flying object, one should search in all directions and look at all potential causes. Something is creating some stress, vibration, etc. on the glass. Would you agree?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No, I wouldn't actually. I have no chips and no cracks on my windshield yet. My trick? Don't tailgate and don't speed. Like my TJ before it, my JL will throw rocks all over itself with the factory falken wildpeaks, including throwing rocks onto the hood and the roof. The reports of "it just cracked for no reason" I suspect there was either already a chip and heat/cold caused the crack or they took a rock off of their own tire. While you can't prevent all impacts to your windshield simply not tailgating and slowing down on gravel roads does a tremendous amount to help. If you don't want to do either of those things, lower the windshield.

There is a chance that a batch of bad glass made it into some vehicles, it happens (sunroofs go off with a bang from time to time as they heat up) but it's not something I have any concerns about. If mine breaks, I'll put a new on in. It's a windshield, it's basically a wear item.
Hm, I never tailgate or speed but I have 4 chips/stars in under 12k miles and 10 months on the road. I repaired all of them before they cracked. All just happened with someone passing me or a very long shot from the semi I was following (2 seconds or more following distance) on a highway or freeway. I'm getting to where I won't get within a quarter mile of anyone on the freeway if I can help it.
First one was from a cop pulling out of a freeway median right in front of me to go chase a speeder.
I'd call a windshield per year a problem, not a normal wear item.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Hm, I never tailgate or speed but I have 4 chips/stars in under 12k miles and 10 months on the road. I repaired all of them before they cracked. All just happened with someone passing me or a very long shot from the semi I was following (2 seconds or more following distance) on a highway or freeway. I'm getting to where I won't get within a quarter mile of anyone on the freeway if I can help it.
First one was from a cop pulling out of a freeway median right in front of me to go chase a speeder.
I'd call a windshield per year a problem, not a normal wear item.
I would agree.
Sponsored