Any regrets going automatic?

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
My buddy in England went to autos a few years ago. I believe his M4 DCT was his first. He felt shame, but admitted the performance was better.
Well yeah, when it comes to M4s and other high end performance cars, can't argue with a dual clutch auto. But for a car as slow as Jeep, you need all the fun and feel you can get. haha
Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I still own and love to drive manuals, but for daily driving around town, in traffic, and off-road (admittedly light-duty), I prefer the eight-speed auto - especially given the clutch-less 'manual' shifting option.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Auto is always going to be better for Moab ledges or Colo mining roads.

For towing or driving snowy highways I'll choose a manual any day.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I miss shifting my own. My wife and I debated for a year between a diesel and a manual. Ultimately we went diesel, but we both miss the manual.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
I know the automatic transmission is way better than the manual transmission. I’m seeing the new 392 rubicon is offered in automatic only and I’m not saying I’ll be getting one anytime soon. I’ve been driving manual for a long time to a point where driving an automatic is uncomfortable for me because my foot is constantly reaching for a clutch pedal that’s not there and my hand is constantly going for a gear change that’s unnecessary. Just out of curiosity how many of you out here made the switch to automatic from manual and if you have any regrets or love it better?
I've always driven manuals in cars, pickup trucks, vans and motorcycles. In 2017 I bought a Grand Cherokee. It was a very nice driving vehicle and the auto transmission was a very good one; but I just really missed the involvement of a 3-pedal stick. I need to have someting for my left foot to do ;-) The Grand Cherokee's paddle shifters worked very well; but its just not the same experience at all. So it's just a matter of what you enjoy driving. I have a manual Wrangler on order.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Just made the switch to auto myself. First 4 wranglers were manual and I didn't ever think I would go auto, but honestly I don't miss it yet.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Absolutely no regrets going auto... It does it's job very well.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I've always driven manuals in cars, pickup trucks, vans and motorcycles. In 2017 I bought a Grand Cherokee. It was a very nice driving vehicle and the auto transmission was a very good one; but I just really missed the involvement of a 3-pedal stick. The Grand Cherokee's paddle shifters worked very well; but its just not the same experience at all. So it's just a matter of what you enjoy driving. I have a manual Wrangler on order.
I've switched from manual XJs/TJs/JKUs to Grand Cherokees and back pretty much each vehicle. The Grands are just nice, comfortable vehicles. But after a while I get bored and want to get further back, so I switch back to a manual Wrangler. This is my first auto Wrangler, but it was sort of forced. I do like the new 8-speed, but if I had the manual diesel option, I certainly would've done it.

zgrw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I learned how to drive in both auto and manual cars, owned a manual for years, then owned auto for years. I would chose auto anytime over manual. In my opinion, it is way comfortable, and you can get used to it within a week or so.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
No regrets. Been driving manual since I was 15. Yeah you expect a clutch and such, thats normal, habit. But that goes away after a few days and you get used to auto.

Sponsored

JaayyyeeeE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Jeep Wrangler JL Any regrets going automatic? 1605636291981

Coming from a M3 6speed, I can’t see myself double shifting and heel-toeing in this slow gentle mammoth.

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Have about 17,000 miles on JL manuals. Having driven TJ and JK manuals, the shifting is an absolute dream. That being said, it's not the most passenger-friendly transmission and the gearing is weird - first is almost useless and third is 25-50mph. I'm 24 and don't commute in this Jeep so feel confident in my decision but would probably opt for an auto (which I have driven in rentals) if I was commuting regularly.

Also... wheeling might be more relaxing while driving an auto but there is nothing more adrenaline inducing than wrangling your lifted stick-shift machine over a bunch of rocks.

At the end of the day, I still value those moments of sheer bliss you get in a manual over the long term comfort of an auto. Get what feels right for you right now and don't overthink it too much.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I'm in the opposite position from almost everyone else in this thread. I have never owned a manual in my life. Never even driven one. I own an auto JL and I have absolutely no complaints about it, I don't think about the transmission at all because it's always doing the right thing at the right moment.

But... for some reason, I wish I had gotten the 6 speed. Probably just because it would be completely new and exciting for me. But it sure seems like a blast to drive.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
One thing I think FCA dropped the ball on,well many but that's another thread, is they didn't put the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. My '14 GC diesel had it and thought it would be great for crawling. Other than that the 8sp is nice having come from 6sp manual and that boat anchor 5sp auto.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
7th CJ/Wrangler, 1st auto. Never lived anywhere before with so much traffic (central Florida). That said, only nit pick would be that it holds the lower gear too long sometimes.
Sponsored