Any engine with ESS

socal66

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have no trouble with the concept of ESS and I even think when done right is beneficial. Unfortunately I find the ESS on my JLUR to be quite temperamental.

I will be stopped at a light and ESS will properly shut down the engine but a few moments later the engine will start up again although I have done no movements that should trigger things back on. The end result will be that the engine will actually be running more than not during the stop.

I will park my Jeep and it will ESS-off the engine and before I can complete putting it in park and pushing the ignition button to turn things “off” the engine will start right backup again only for me to have to turn it off again a second later.

These behavior characteristics occur far too often than they should and are really unforgivable given the situations in which they occur as any half witted ESS should handle these scenarios without issue a high percentage of the time.
Sponsored

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
I have a question about the ESS system.

I want to start by saying, my father built engines for a living. He not only built them he blueprinted and balanced the motors. One thing he always preached was "...the most wear an engine gets is on start up, all of the oil is in the pan..." The next topic was, "...each time the engine is started, extra wear is put upon the starter motor, electrical systems, etc..."

The info supplied by Chrysler states "..The 3.6L Pentastar® V6 engine includes Engine Stop/Start (ESS) Technology. ESS automatically shuts the engine off at full stops, then re-engages for takeoff. The technology is engineered to help deliver efficient performance, and can be disabled with the push of a button. I can't see why the above would not also apply to the 4 cyl and the diesel.

Is this happening at every time the vehicle stops ? Like every time at a stop light or stop sign ? OR if we are sitting talking to a friend while on the trail or pause to pick up the mail ? Is there a pause delay, after so many seconds, is when the engine turns off ?

I am curious how many times during the course of a normal drive is the engine actually shutting off.

Additionally, the information supplied states the driver can disable this function. How is this working in the real world ?

To me, it seems that Chrysler spent a lot of time and money paying some engineer to come up with a way to "promote" a system most of us will never use - not to mention the extra wear our engines are getting.

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
I don’t know how other manufacturers do it. I drive lots of rent cars with stop start and I never hear a conventional starter engage. On my JLU diesel it is the starter motor and it sends waves of anger through me to hear it when I forget to turn it off. It takes quite a bit more starter torque to crank the diesel and seriously doubt that they overbuilt the starter and ring gear to handle it.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Black and Tan
I have a question about the ESS system.

I want to start by saying, my father built engines for a living. He not only built them he blueprinted and balanced the motors. One thing he always preached was "...the most wear an engine gets is on start up, all of the oil is in the pan..." The next topic was, "...each time the engine is started, extra wear is put upon the starter motor, electrical systems, etc..."

The info supplied by Chrysler states "..The 3.6L Pentastar® V6 engine includes Engine Stop/Start (ESS) Technology. ESS automatically shuts the engine off at full stops, then re-engages for takeoff. The technology is engineered to help deliver efficient performance, and can be disabled with the push of a button. I can't see why the above would not also apply to the 4 cyl and the diesel.

Is this happening at every time the vehicle stops ? Like every time at a stop light or stop sign ? OR if we are sitting talking to a friend while on the trail or pause to pick up the mail ? Is there a pause delay, after so many seconds, is when the engine turns off ?

I am curious how many times during the course of a normal drive is the engine actually shutting off.

Additionally, the information supplied states the driver can disable this function. How is this working in the real world ?

To me, it seems that Chrysler spent a lot of time and money paying some engineer to come up with a way to "promote" a system most of us will never use - not to mention the extra wear our engines are getting.
To be honest I can't speak for the Diesel however the ESS does exist on the 2.0 engine. I've gotten used to it and it will only shut off the engine after you have traveled a little while and keep you're fit in there brake. Before you fly lift your foot from the brake pedal there engine kicks back on. A word of caution you definitely want to deactivate this feature off if you are offloading.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I've had my Jeep for 1.5 years and I don't even think about the ESS anymore. I've got a manual transmission, so it shuts off when I stop with my foot off of the clutch. It's not a big deal.

Sponsored

huberro2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2019
Occupation
Engineer
ESS, Hate it. Give it, no snaps. Anyway, I'm always fumbling around for the switch, looking to turn it off, especially in the dark. Fixed that. I put one of those tiny (1/4 inch) self-sticking, half-round, clear rubber cabinet bumpers on top of the switch. Now I can just feel for the button (braille) or quickly eyeball locate it, and off it goes. Ha Ha. Would like to see Superchips add it to the next model of TrailDash2 to de-program. A two-fer. Superchips, are you listening? Signed, Born free and taxed/regulated to death !!

PYLDRVR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito JLUR
I have no trouble with the concept of ESS and I even think when done right is beneficial. Unfortunately I find the ESS on my JLUR to be quite temperamental.

I will be stopped at a light and ESS will properly shut down the engine but a few moments later the engine will start up again although I have done no movements that should trigger things back on. The end result will be that the engine will actually be running more than not during the stop.

I will park my Jeep and it will ESS-off the engine and before I can complete putting it in park and pushing the ignition button to turn things “off” the engine will start right backup again only for me to have to turn it off again a second later.
You might consider having it looked at. I've had mine about a year and half with a little over 9,000 miles and haven't experienced either of those. Okay, that's not entirely true, once in a great while it'll start back up when I don't think I've done anything but that's happened maybe a handful of times. I've never had it shut off and restart while parking.

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sahara
I find ESS to be the most annoying thing on my new Jeep! The best I did was disconnected it and never have to think about it again. Until my Jeep went back in for service and left the Jeep dealer and come to the first stop sign and boom, engine turns off. Oh boy, they reconnected it without telling me. Well, Yes the first thing I did was disconnect it again and happiness is back!!!

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Yes, this is due to fuel efficiency standards set by previous administrations. Manufacturers are doing whatever they can to meet them. The 3.6 engine even went on a diet in 2016 and lost substantial weight, it's why the oil capacity went down to five quarts from six. ESS is just another step in this direction. I don't like it either, for the same reasons already stated here, but I've only had my Wrangler for 2.5 months and I'm already in the habit of turning it off every time I get into the vehicle.

Trailnut

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Chevy Colorado, '20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Fire Marshal (Retired)
I find it amusing the oil companies are now making oil badged as specifically being for start/stop applications.

Either it's all marketing or the vehicle manufacturers are lying when they say it doesn't contribute any wear to the engine. I think it's both personally.

But OP, this isn't a Chrysler thing, it's an every-manufacturer thing. Really it's a stop-gap bandaid until vehicles go all electric.

Use a battery powered weed eater or chain saw and you won't miss the idling in between cuts, or the "oh I forgot that ONE branch, gotta start it back up again."

I use my Tazer to disable my ESS. ESS has not been allowed to function for the 16k miles my JL has been driven thus far.

What is a "Tazer" ?

Thanks

Sponsored

Phantom_D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2Dr Sport S
First few times it happened I thought I stalled (manual) but ya its a very rough implementation of this feature. would love to disable this feature but now in the habit of hitting the button. May shell out the $ for a tazer

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I absolutely hated ESS when I first test drove JL. So much so that I refused to buy a Jeep for an entire year.

However, after having owned my JL for six months, ESS doesn’t bother me any more. I don’t even turn it off because I don’t notice it.

I must say the 3.6 V6 + 8-speed combination on my JL feels a LOT more refined and smoother than the 3.6 V6 + 5-speed on my JKs. From what I understand, FCA reworked the V6 thoroughly to be able to withstand ESS operation. I read somewhere that 80% of engine parts are all-new.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
I believe ESS is a good idea... it saves fuel... my complaint is how it was implemented on the 3.6 engine.. I couldn't get used to the rattling of my rig ... I have been on other cars with very smooth Auto Start Stop systems where you won't even notice it ... I have been on quite a few other JLs and the rattling is the same... also.. in general I believe ESS is silly to implement on a JLU like mine that only gets 11.5 MPG city drive after lift and big tires.. but well.. CAFE regulations ... FCA had no choice..

No idea what percentage of us disables ESS because:
a) is annoying
b) think it causes additional wear and tear of the engine..

I am not concerned about wear and tear .. ESS is well designed to minimize wear and tear... but with ESS active I had to crank up my stereo and listen to Death Metal to drown the ESS... :)

Gee-Pah... to answer your question.. a very smooth ESS would be necessary for me to adopt it...

Here is an interesting video from one of my favorite youtube channels... well worth watching it..

huberro2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2019
Occupation
Engineer
I tried the Tow Plug Tester. It works turning off ESS, however, I have two concerns with this method. One the weather cap is open and subject to the elements when not towing. Two, the parking brake turns on one of the LEDs (not that would seriously drain the battery) . I needed a Tow Plug Tester anyway (only $10), but I think re-programming is a much better approach. Tazer ties up the port for a SuperChips TrailDash2. I'm sure as time passes on, the perfect solution will surface. Back to manually turning off (see tiny cabinet rubber bumper trick, in this thread).

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
I tried the Tow Plug Tester. It works turning off ESS, however, I have two concerns with this method. One the weather cap is open and subject to the elements when not towing. Two, the parking brake turns on one of the LEDs (not that would seriously drain the battery) . I needed a Tow Plug Tester anyway (only $10), but I think re-programming is a much better approach. Tazer ties up the port for a SuperChips TrailDash2. I'm sure as time passes on, the perfect solution will surface. Back to manually turning off (see tiny cabinet rubber bumper trick, in this thread).
No side effects whatsoever and compatible with Superchips devices: https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

(and a forum sponsor).
Sponsored