First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
Thinking about pulling a trigger on a new Wrangler. I've always wanted one.

I know the 2 vs 4 door debate is all about personal needs with no wrong choices.

I just love the way the 2 doors look, it's a classic jeep, but I've never owned a 2 door car before.

Has livable is it for every day use? Is it easy for kids to get to the rear seats?
Do you regret not get the 4 door for the extra space?

We have a family-friendly car that we use for longer trips but would need the jeep to be practical enough for school drop-off and grocery store runs on daily basis.
I wish I could have gotten the 2 door as I love that style over the 4 door, but I ordered the 4 door to accommodate the family.

Back in my teens when my sister drove a 2 door I would be the one who would have to crawl into the back as she picked up her friend to go to school. I was never lacking for space at the age and felt comfortable. Not sure I could crawl back there nowadays though. šŸ˜†

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
The fact that you already have what you describe as a family friendly car makes buying a 2 door all the more reasonable. You will not be disappointed - go for it.

3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door 6sp
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m in a bit of a different situation as the only reason I would need an Unlimited would be to haul around friends. I can say I was interested in the 2 door since day one and not once did I look back on that decision. It definitely is more unique than a lot of the other JLs and the turning radius is out of this world haha. Iā€™ve driven it across the country a couple of times and it definitely requires a bit more planning but if you remove the backseats there is plenty of room.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Mine is my family vehicle. My 6 and 9 year old get in the back, no problem. I can fit the groceries. When they don't come, I have more room than I need. The 2 door has better agility, I love it.

Sponsored

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Coming from a Mustang, with a booster and a forward facing car seat, the Jeep has plenty of room in the backseat. It's liveable day to day, not a ton of storage space but it's fine. Remove the rear seats and all is well, plenty of space.

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green

I know the 2 vs 4 door debate is all about personal needs with no wrong choices.

I just love the way the 2 doors look, it's a classic jeep, but I've never owned a 2 door car before.

Has livable is it for every day use? Is it easy for kids to get to the rear seats?

We have a family-friendly car that we use for longer trips but would need the jeep to be practical enough for school drop-off and grocery store runs on daily basis.
No regrets at all. I have a 2 door Willys. Took the rear seat out the day after I picked it up. On my previous 2 door sport, only twice in six years did any one sit in the rear seat. With the rear seat removed, thereā€™s lots of room for gear.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

2 door is totally fine once you get used to it. Getting on the backseat doesn't bother me. We have a 6 month old and I get the car seat back there and everything. It is out adventure vehicle, we use it for camping and all of our travels. We recently went to big bear and stayed there a few days. Baby in the back with mother in law. Mother in law isnt a big fan, but thats too bad lol. so 4 people total. 2 kayaks on the roof rack. I really dont mind at all and think it is perfect. We do own a Camry we use for the city, the 2 doors can get a little old after a while but not that big of a deal. Theyre small, but not that small. 4 doors are a lot more convenient.Just go for it, get the 2 door, your kids will love it. 4 doors are boring.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any 2 door regrets? IMG_20210806_184302015_HDR

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
No Regrets here, love every minute in this thing!

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
One really useful improvement in JL 2-Door is that the rear seat can fold and rock forward. There are even lash straps and footman loops to secure the seat in the rocked forward position. This feature makes the weekly grocery shopping doable because of the freed up floor space. I have ridden for trips of up to seven hours in the rear seat of our 2021 JL 2-door; at 5'8", 163 lbs I do not find it terrible. Comfortable?, not exactly; but not killer bad. Most of the time our rear seat is in the garage only to be mounted in the Wrangler when needed for family or friends. Get the 2-Door learn to work around any issues and enjoy the coolest ride in your part of the country. If it does not work out; buy a 4-Door next time.

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Zero regrets! My JL is my second 2-door Jeep and I love it!

Granted, I've never owned a 4-door vehicle of any kind. Even before Jeeps, I only drove 2-door vehicles. So, I might be biased.

I used my 2-door JK for many years as my daily driver and commute vehicle, on top of my weekend adventure vehicle. Cargo space is limited, especially with the backseat in place, but I made it work (even on two cross-country moves where I had to haul three weeks worth of stuff, plus my dog and other pets, into it).

I don't have kids, but I routinely crammed large adults into the backseat of my JK. I'm not saying they were overly thrilled with the amount of space, but they managed fine. Kids are small and flexible, they'll be fine. ;)

Also, the 2-door is pretty flexible. The backseat comes out very easily, if you need extra hauling space. And even with it just folded up, you have enough room for a fair amount of gear.

I love mine. But any Jeep is a good Jeep, if you ask me, both with two or four doors!

rizzosmith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
I've owned nothing but 2 door Jeeps, both CJ and Wrangler. I've had a TJ, JK, and now JL (2018), I don't have rear seat passengers often but it is a bit difficult getting them in and out. I don't do it more than 5 or 6 times a year, so it's not a big deal. The seats are comfortable, it's just releasing the passenger seat and sliding it all the way forward to allow for max room is more work than opening a rear door. But I prefer the look of the 2 door enough to deal with it.

MadChef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th, 2019 4Runner, 2008 350z
2 doors are so much more nimble and an absolute blast to drive. Steering is spot on even in the wind. On my third 2 door now and am totally impressed with the JL.

Kids will love sitting in the back. If not get them bicycles.

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
2 door is such a blast to take on long and short trips. The 4 door isnā€™t really a jeep because it was meant to be like a mini van. Lol.
Sponsored