Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Only thing you loose with the softtop is access and storage in the back, some security... flexibility, ease of use, noise and warmth are all solid on the softtop
Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Only thing you loose with the softtop is access and storage in the back, some security... flexibility, ease of use, noise and warmth are all solid on the softtop
I am bothered by the rear window's inability to flip up easily . My wifes hard top is so much easier for rear access.My only soft top complaint so far. Although it looks like the rear window will be tough to see out of this coming winter.

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does it too but on the driver's side (2 door). I haven't noticed any difference between pushing it in versus leaving it popped, other than cosmetic. I've had mine since Christmas, and it's been played in in the snow and ice. Nothing ever appeared to have enter the cargo area. So it's just become a habit to push it in as I walk by :like:. I'm also wondering if when it warms up, it will remain pushed in.
Just so you know, it happens when it is warm all of the time. I have given up pushing it back in.

jeditdedn

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I am bothered by the rear window's inability to flip up easily . My wifes hard top is so much easier for rear access.My only soft top complaint so far. Although it looks like the rear window will be tough to see out of this coming winter.
Yeah, on the JK's soft top you could unzip the two side zippers, and roll it up into the two spandex holders on the ceiling of the top. One of the few benefits it had over the new easier to disassemble JL top.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Yeah, on the JK's soft top you could unzip the two side zippers, and roll it up into the two spandex holders on the ceiling of the top. One of the few benefits it had over the new easier to disassemble JL top.
You can remove the bottom corners and sides from the retaining channel, then flip the window up to set it on the roof for easy access. I do this all the time. Not as easy as the glass on the hardtop, but just as easy as unzipping on the JK.

My biggest complaint is that the windows can't be rolled. Now window storage takes up so much space.

Sponsored

EJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport Altitude
You lose the rear windshield wiper/washer and defroster as well which are huge features in cold weather

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey
@Jenga Jeep , @GreyFox , @RichD

I bought myself one of these inexpensive boxes with intent on destroying it to solve the loose flaps on the soft top you discuss:

https://www.harborfreight.com/mater...orage/18-divider-storage-container-94456.html

Using strong scissors I cut out two identical rectangles from the top of this purchased box, about the width of the soft top flap and somewhat taller than the piece of the corner soft top brackets that the soft top rear clips into.

I stuck these pieces under each of the brackets, then I put each soft top flap into this taller piece.

The soft top flaps stay snug now. : - )

I have read here, I don't know if accurately so, that Bestop has made the flap on their soft top rear windows longer since first creating it for the JL, for FCA.
Thanks! I will give that a go... I have given up putting them back on by now :)

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Hi guys,
I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I have this part of my soft top popping out during the day I always have to put it back in everyday at the end of the day.
Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a fault on the soft top?
Thanks

20190403_155058.jpg
My 2018 Sahara premium top was the same. I lost the driver's side rear panel while hwy driving w/windows closed & top up. The panel was replaced under warranty and the dealer made an adjustment (to the top) I asked what they did but it wasn't made clear to me. Whatever they did the top has remained tight and the rear flap has not worked loose.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Just so you know, it happens when it is warm all of the time. I have given up pushing it back in.
Yes that's true! Lol I've just gotten used to pushing it back in when I pass it:giggle: No biggie really. I'd rather have this soft top than a hard top:like:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like putting the soft top completely down, in cool weather, 45°, how difficult will it be to reinstall windows, latch to windshield ? Does the top material shrink with the cold ?
I had power twill tops on my convertibles, they were great, but I've read how hard it is to install Wrangler tops in cool weather...
Thanks in advance

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It will be a little tougher with the cold weather, but as long as it wasn't down in really cold temps for days and days you should be fine getting everything back into place.

DustyVan

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
First let me say...obviously the following is just my opinion, so feel free to disagree. Just going by my own personal observations. ;) And it may have alot of "Thank you Captain Obvious", but some may be curious...so here goes.

A quick background…I ordered my 2 Door Rubicon last year from the factory with the hardtop. While I went back and forth, I ultimately went with a hardtop on the order for a few reasons. Anywho, I knew eventually I would want a softtop as well and the dual top was not an option on the 2 Doors.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. After going back and forth between the trektop and factory premium softtop, I settled in on the factory. Found what I thought was a good price ($1,788 to my door), and installed it this past week. While there are enough threads and videos that show the decibel levels between the two, I wanted to touch a few things that I haven’t seen much on.

1) I think I became spoiled on the quietness of MY hardtop. I emphasis MY, because it’s probably not a fair comparison. Soon after I got my Jeep, I installed the Hotheads Headliner with the Sound Assassin. I’m going to say, there is no comparison in quietness between the premium softtop and the hardtop with this set up. While I don’t remember exactly what the decibel reading was after I installed the sound assassin last year (there are videos on that too I think), it is MUCH quieter than the Premium softtop. Again, I know it’s not really a fair comparison (ie. Glass windows vs vinyl, hard shell vs fabric, sound dampeners vs nothing), but if you are thinking about changing over to a premium softtop or twill trektop, and you have the same hardtop set up as I do, prepare yourself for the fact that it will be louder. I just wanted to point this out since there are videos and comments out there that show the hardtop pretty much on the same sound level as the premium soft top, however, with the hotheads and sound assassin, that will not be the case.

2) This may be all in my head, but it does feel like the Jeep handles a little differently on the road. Maybe that’s due to the difference in weight, creating a lower center of gravity around turns. But the bumps seem to feel a bit harsher for some reason. Could be because there is a little less weight? Or could be that the hardtop creates a more tightness in the body resulting in less give in everything? Or again, could be in my head.

3) Lastly, all that said, I’ll sacrifice these things for the ability to put the top down this spring and summer. :rock: Just really looking forward to it. The top looks great and was a very easy install. :like:

Just wanted to share a couple of things for those going to a softtop or planning to order one with it. I do think a hardtop with no headliner and a Premium Softtop are going to be very comparable in sound. But if you have been running a hardtop all winter with the same set up as me, just be prepared for a significant difference.

Hi Folks,

I'm new here. I just purchased my first Jeep. 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL. I bought it used and it came with a soft top. I've been looking around online and was curious if you all had a recommended place to purchase a hardtop shell. Preferably white, to match my Jeep.

Thanks!
Dusty

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
After owning two TJ's and a JK I have to say that Hard top vs soft top is still one of the toughest decisions to make.
They both have really strong good points and they both have some pretty negative points.
Having said that - I really wish they had a dual top option when ordering a two door JL!! :mad:
Sponsored