Another Softtop vs Hardtop Assessment

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
First let me say...obviously the following is just my opinion, so feel free to disagree. Just going by my own personal observations. ;) And it may have alot of "Thank you Captain Obvious", but some may be curious...so here goes.

A quick background…I ordered my 2 Door Rubicon last year from the factory with the hardtop. While I went back and forth, I ultimately went with a hardtop on the order for a few reasons. Anywho, I knew eventually I would want a softtop as well and the dual top was not an option on the 2 Doors.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. After going back and forth between the trektop and factory premium softtop, I settled in on the factory. Found what I thought was a good price ($1,788 to my door), and installed it this past week. While there are enough threads and videos that show the decibel levels between the two, I wanted to touch a few things that I haven’t seen much on.

1) I think I became spoiled on the quietness of MY hardtop. I emphasis MY, because it’s probably not a fair comparison. Soon after I got my Jeep, I installed the Hotheads Headliner with the Sound Assassin. I’m going to say, there is no comparison in quietness between the premium softtop and the hardtop with this set up. While I don’t remember exactly what the decibel reading was after I installed the sound assassin last year (there are videos on that too I think), it is MUCH quieter than the Premium softtop. Again, I know it’s not really a fair comparison (ie. Glass windows vs vinyl, hard shell vs fabric, sound dampeners vs nothing), but if you are thinking about changing over to a premium softtop or twill trektop, and you have the same hardtop set up as I do, prepare yourself for the fact that it will be louder. I just wanted to point this out since there are videos and comments out there that show the hardtop pretty much on the same sound level as the premium soft top, however, with the hotheads and sound assassin, that will not be the case.

2) This may be all in my head, but it does feel like the Jeep handles a little differently on the road. Maybe that’s due to the difference in weight, creating a lower center of gravity around turns. But the bumps seem to feel a bit harsher for some reason. Could be because there is a little less weight? Or could be that the hardtop creates a more tightness in the body resulting in less give in everything? Or again, could be in my head.

3) Lastly, all that said, I’ll sacrifice these things for the ability to put the top down this spring and summer. :rock: Just really looking forward to it. The top looks great and was a very easy install. :like:

Just wanted to share a couple of things for those going to a softtop or planning to order one with it. I do think a hardtop with no headliner and a Premium Softtop are going to be very comparable in sound. But if you have been running a hardtop all winter with the same set up as me, just be prepared for a significant difference.
Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
First let me say...obviously the following is just my opinion, so feel free to disagree. Just going by my own personal observations. ;) And it may have alot of "Thank you Captain Obvious", but some may be curious...so here goes.

A quick background…I ordered my 2 Door Rubicon last year from the factory with the hardtop. While I went back and forth, I ultimately went with a hardtop on the order for a few reasons. Anywho, I knew eventually I would want a softtop as well and the dual top was not an option on the 2 Doors.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. After going back and forth between the trektop and factory premium softtop, I settled in on the factory. Found what I thought was a good price ($1,788 to my door), and installed it this past week. While there are enough threads and videos that show the decibel levels between the two, I wanted to touch a few things that I haven’t seen much on.

1) I think I became spoiled on the quietness of MY hardtop. I emphasis MY, because it’s probably not a fair comparison. Soon after I got my Jeep, I installed the Hotheads Headliner with the Sound Assassin. I’m going to say, there is no comparison in quietness between the premium softtop and the hardtop with this set up. While I don’t remember exactly what the decibel reading was after I installed the sound assassin last year (there are videos on that too I think), it is MUCH quieter than the Premium softtop. Again, I know it’s not really a fair comparison (ie. Glass windows vs vinyl, hard shell vs fabric, sound dampeners vs nothing), but if you are thinking about changing over to a premium softtop or twill trektop, and you have the same hardtop set up as I do, prepare yourself for the fact that it will be louder. I just wanted to point this out since there are videos and comments out there that show the hardtop pretty much on the same sound level as the premium soft top, however, with the hotheads and sound assassin, that will not be the case.
I felt the same in my JK with the hard top (without sound deadening) and the Bestop Trektop NX Glide twill. The hard top was definitely more quiet, but when it started to warm up, that hard top was just a pain. Yeah, you could remove part of it and open the rear window, but it is not anywhere close to being as good.

2) This may be all in my head, but it does feel like the Jeep handles a little differently on the road. Maybe that’s due to the difference in weight, creating a lower center of gravity around turns. But the bumps seem to feel a bit harsher for some reason. Could be because there is a little less weight? Or could be that the hardtop creates a more tightness in the body resulting in less give in everything? Or again, could be in my head.
The only difference you might feel is the hardtop making it handle worse, since it would raise the center of gravity. It's not a load bearing device, so any turns or twists wouldn't be affected by it.

3) Lastly, all that said, I’ll sacrifice these things for the ability to put the top down this spring and summer. :rock: Just really looking forward to it. The top looks great and was a very easy install. :like:
Agreed! I put a hard top on my JK during the late fall and winter simply because I wanted to protect my soft top from salt and such. I much prefer the soft tops.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I would think the Soft Top handles worse as the wind running over it would create a little flapping and resistance. I bet you get worse MPG with the Soft Top on because of DRAG.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@VolCntry73

Just read your post, I will start by saying THANK YOU for breaking your text down. Much easier to read and get through vice a wall of rambling text.

That being said, I WAS thinking of actually doing the opposite (getting a hard top) as I have seen various folks selling them at very reasonable rates here in FL and for obvious reasons (our locality and overall beautiful soft top weather year round).

I figured if I an get one for cheap why not? right?

Not that I ever had or have any issues with my soft top (very used to the road noise and what not and to me it is/should be expected) but as mentioned just because I can get one for cheap.

My issue became storage in the end and the question down here: When would I ever actually use it?

Enough of my rambling though haha:

As it relates to your post at least my experience with the Soft top so far, yes, there is noise road and the rain seems much louder, but, the ability to go topless and get that open air experience in beautiful weather trumps everything in my opinion.

It is such an experience for the whole family and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

The ease of removing it is (as you mentioned) leaps and bounds over the previous generation. I was actually in the Jeep sitting at a stoplight in traffic, told my wife to unlatch her side, I unlatched mine and with one good push I was in sunrider mode.

Also, don't forget, safari mode rocks too!

Thanks for posting your experience to the community!

OP
OP
VolCntry73

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would think the Soft Top handles worse as the wind running over it would create a little flapping and resistance. I bet you get worse MPG with the Soft Top on because of DRAG.
Gas mileage has been pretty close so far, but really haven't had it on long enough to tell long term.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VolCntry73

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@VolCntry73

Just read your post, I will start by saying THANK YOU for breaking your text down. Much easier to read and get through vice a wall of rambling text.

That being said, I WAS thinking of actually doing the opposite (getting a hard top) as I have seen various folks selling them at very reasonable rates here in FL and for obvious reasons (our locality and overall beautiful soft top weather year round).

I figured if I an get one for cheap why not? right?

Not that I ever had or have any issues with my soft top (very used to the road noise and what not and to me it is/should be expected) but as mentioned just because I can get one for cheap.

My issue became storage in the end and the question down here: When would I ever actually use it?

Enough of my rambling though haha:

As it relates to your post at least my experience with the Soft top so far, yes, there is noise road and the rain seems much louder, but, the ability to go topless and get that open air experience in beautiful weather trumps everything in my opinion.

It is such an experience for the whole family and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

The ease of removing it is (as you mentioned) leaps and bounds over the previous generation. I was actually in the Jeep sitting at a stoplight in traffic, told my wife to unlatch her side, I unlatched mine and with one good push I was in sunrider mode.

Also, don't forget, safari mode rocks too!

Thanks for posting your experience to the community!
Thanks Morton! I'll probably keep the soft top on for all but a couple of months of the year or if I feel like I'm going somewhere where I need added security. But I agree wholeheartedly that the ability to put the top down anytime alleviates the negatives.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I would think the Soft Top handles worse as the wind running over it would create a little flapping and resistance.
That's not really how handling works.

Also, to the OP, the Wrangler is a body-on-frame vehicle, any stiffening of the body (and if you've handled the HT off the Jeep you know it isn't capable of any stiffening) is irrelevant because the suspension is mounted to the frame, not the body. This isn't a unibody vehicle where body stiffness matters, frame stiffness is what affects handling. That's why you can remove the doors with zero effect, the body panels are not structural.

OP
OP
VolCntry73

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's not really how handling works.

Also, to the OP, the Wrangler is a body-on-frame vehicle, any stiffening of the body (and if you've handled the HT off the Jeep you know it isn't capable of any stiffening) is irrelevant because the suspension is mounted to the frame, not the body. This isn't a unibody vehicle where body stiffness matters, frame stiffness is what affects handling. That's why you can remove the doors with zero effect, the body panels are not structural.
Yep, I get that. That's why I say I'm sure it's mostly in my head. lol. I suppose I thought that since the hardtop is bolted to the body and in it's nature is still much more rigid than the softtop, that in comparison it may be creating a little more stability.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Yep, I get that. That's why I say I'm sure it's mostly in my head. lol. I suppose I thought that since the hardtop is bolted to the body and in it's nature is still much more rigid than the softtop, that in comparison it may be creating a little more stability.
It's more rigid than the soft top, but since my hardtop flexes under its own weight when you lay it on its side, for instance, it is adding zero additional stiffness to the Jeep. I guarantee it does nothing to increase the stiffness of the Sport Bar structure it is bolted to. It's basically like saying if you bolt cardboard (the hard top) to steel, it's more stiff than bolting tissue paper (the soft top) to steel. I mean, yeah, it is, but it's not stiffer than the steel you are bolting it to.

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey
Hi guys,
I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I have this part of my soft top popping out during the day I always have to put it back in everyday at the end of the day.
Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a fault on the soft top?
Thanks

20190403_155058.jpg

Sponsored

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Hi guys,
I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I have this part of my soft top popping out during the day I always have to put it back in everyday at the end of the day.
Thanks

20190403_155058.jpg
Jenga, I have the same problem. Sometimes the alignment is off causing the tailgate to catch the edge of the flap. Other than that, it seems to pop out on it's own. There are a few other posts about this problem on the forum. I think I read of someone getting the dealer to swap it out under warranty.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hi guys,
Thanks

20190403_155058.jpg
Mine does it too but on the driver's side (2 door). I haven't noticed any difference between pushing it in versus leaving it popped, other than cosmetic. I've had mine since Christmas, and it's been played in in the snow and ice. Nothing ever appeared to have enter the cargo area. So it's just become a habit to push it in as I walk by :like:. I'm also wondering if when it warms up, it will remain pushed in.

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey
:)
It's not a big deal. I was just curious about it.
I'm used to push it back in every now and then as well.
But heat is not going to solve it, has it has been around 22oC here and it still happens... Maybe when it's over 30oC :))

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
:)
It's not a big deal. I was just curious about it.
I'm used to push it back in every now and then as well.
But heat is not going to solve it, has it has been around 22oC here and it still happens... Maybe when it's over 30oC :))
Lmao I read that as 220 degrees Celsius! :headbang: I did the Spock and said where the f*ck is he at? Venus? :CWL:

ShadeTree

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK Unlimited
I have a few Rookie Questions about tops and I'm not certain if this is a good place to ask them or not but here goes. I own a 2015 JKU Sahara Unlimited. It's got a hard top with of course the Freedom Tops. It came with a full roof rack system with the removable section so the tops can be removed. I don't use the rack much and it's super noisy with the tops out and lifting them out thru the rack is a pain also. Today at church I saw an orange JL with a hardtop along the edges and a soft center which I can only assume will roll back in some manner. The edges were painted the same as the body (Orange) so it looked factory to me but we left before the owner came out and I could ask. So here's where my questions begin;

1.) Is this a top that I could get for my Jeep and if so where?
2.) Would the SunRider type that replaces the Freedom Tops be easier and less expensive?
3.) Could my "wind noise" be coming from the hardtop itself and not the roof rack?
4.) Is there a resell market for the full body roof rack and if so where would it be best to advertise it?

Thank you,

ShadeTree
Sponsored