Sponsored

Hardtop VS premium soft top

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler 2018 JLU Rubicon
Hi All,
Any current JL/JK users with premium soft tops?
How does the premium soft top compares to hard top, in terms of highway rides, and winter? can a hardtop be replace permanently by premium soft?

I am trying to compare whether to get the dual top or save myself few bucks, and stick with premium soft all year round, keep in mind I live in Ontario Canada.

Any feedback is appreciated
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going with the premium soft top this time as from what I understand they are much improved over the JK in both ease of use and noise. Although I will admit I'll be taking a leap of faith on that one as a first year production could have problems.

OP
OP
Gus

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going with the premium soft top this time as from what I understand they are much improved over the JK in both ease of use and noise. Although I will admit I'll be taking a leap of faith on that one as a first year production could have problems.
Thanks for your feedback. All the best of luck.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Ive opted for the premium soft top of the hard top this go around, it appears to be much improved and although I have no gripes about the function of my JKU hard, top my top down driving took a serious hit and dealing with the panels was a pain ( realizing that soft top issues can be a pain as well) but in reality i can flip at least the sunder portion open in seconds and its much easier to stow the soft top windows etc on a whim then deal with the panels......I have owned soft tops on previous wranglers, Ive even had dual tops but I don't have a viable storage solution for the dual top and I have a lot of faith n the new soft top...we will see.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
I am trying to compare whether to get the dual top or save myself few bucks, and stick with premium soft all year round, keep in mind I live in Ontario Canada.

Any feedback is appreciated
I have a JKU. I live in PA. I dont have a premium top. But I can tell you I am of the mindset, I don't care what "soft" top you have, the weight of snow sitting on top for any amount of time will have a cumulative effect of causing sag. Now if you're diligent with clearing it, or have a garage, I would go dual top. I actually bought a used hard top because of this. And our winters are not that bad.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gus

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive opted for the premium soft top of the hard top this go around, it appears to be much improved and although I have no gripes about the function of my JKU hard, top my top down driving took a serious hit and dealing with the panels was a pain ( realizing that soft top issues can be a pain as well) but in reality i can flip at least the sunder portion open in seconds and its much easier to stow the soft top windows etc on a whim then deal with the panels......I have owned soft tops on previous wranglers, Ive even had dual tops but I don't have a viable storage solution for the dual top and I have a lot of faith n the new soft top...we will see.
Thanks for your feedback, the soft-top mechanism is standard on all new JL tops as far as I know, the premium is the thicker cloth one, but in terms of mechanism and track, the new JL should have the same mechanism whether it is premium or standard as far as I know.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I have a JKU. I live in PA. I dont have a premium top. But I can tell you I am of the mindset, I don't care what "soft" top you have, the weight of snow sitting on top for any amount of time will have a cumulative effect of causing sag. Now if you're diligent with clearing it, or have a garage, I would go dual top. I actually bought a used hard top because of this. And our winters are not that bad.
Ive heard this concern, but my YJ, TJ's, and JK's that did have soft tops never had an issue, I live in SE PA.......YMMV.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Thanks for your feedback, the soft-top mechanism is standard on all new JL tops as far as I know, the premium is the thicker cloth one, but in terms of mechanism and track, the new JL should have the same mechanism whether it is premium or standard as far as I know.
Yes you are correct, but if you are thinking about soft top only, I highly recommend stepping up to the premium...it better quality, quieter, and more insulated...really no down side at all...this is going from my experience previous generations of course.

OP
OP
Gus

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes you are correct, but if you are thinking about soft top only, I highly recommend stepping up to the premium...it better quality, quieter, and more insulated...really no down side at all...this is going from my experience previous generations of course.
Thanks Justin for your feedback, appreciated.

Sponsored

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Wrangler (sold to nephew), 2018 JLUR, 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Charger ScatPack 392, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Road Glide
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered dual tops on my 2013 so I got the premium soft top with that. The hard top was on for the first week or two and the soft top has been on ever since. AND still looks great. I like the ability to take the top down completely if I'm out on the road away from home. Sometimes around here it's chilly in the morning and topless weather by mid-morning/lunchtime.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
For good reasons, the decision on tops has become more difficult for me. I say, "for good reasons" because both soft and hard tops have improved in the JL. On the one hand the entry level soft top is much easier to take down and put back up than in the JK (the premium may be so as well, I just haven't seen its movement in video yet.) On the other hand the hard top is lighter than in the JK and is easier to unscrew from the vehicle.

And still yet confusing for me is that ideally I want both tops, and IMHO, FCA does a pretty good job at incentivizing you to get the dual top in not only making the cost cheaper than buying the 2 tops separately (and letting you put it on the loan if that's your thing) but throws in the premium soft top in the dual top option.

I think this pricing was very smart on FCA's part, recognizing that it can capture vehicle top sales now, before the aftermarket produces better quality and lower priced options, as well as compete somewhat with it afterwards.

Last edited:

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Ordering with a hardtop does include the rear wiper/defroster hardware as well. Something to consider if you want may want a hardtop later on and don't get it from the get go.
This is exactly why I changed my 2 door order to a hardtop. I can get a soft top after and Just drop it on but the hardtop needs a harness and washer line plus a switch stem and module flash

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
This is exactly why I changed my 2 door order to a hardtop. I can get a soft top after and Just drop it on but the hardtop needs a harness and washer line plus a switch stem and module flash
This is exactly why when I get around to buying my jeep I am getting a hardtop at a minimum if not going with the dual top straight out the door depending on after market options. I actually like the aftermarket options a little better for the soft top options right now like the spider web shades and some of the Trektops/Adventure tops over the OEM tops.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Stupid question all: the dual top option also includes the rear wiper/defroster hardware as well, right?

I mean it would certainly make sense---but---had to ask--sometimes FCA does weird things.
Sponsored