First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Anyone else have a low key quick paced rattle/knocking noise when accelerating with a cold engine? The speed of the noise seems to be in line with engine rpm, goes away when the trans is shifting and comes back while accelerating through the next gear. So it’s only doing it under acceleration and for the first couple minutes when the engine is cold. The noise is totally gone after the engine warms up, maybe like 2 or 3 minutes of driving.
Sponsored

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
My engine sounds like a diesel when it’s cold. Always makes me cringe. But it also pings when it’s warm. And it drinks oil.

You know how people would put 300K miles on an old Toyota truck and feel bad about selling it because it still ran perfectly? Yeah, this isn’t that.

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Maybe Fuel? What grade of fuel are you using?

Kind of sounds like what you are describing is not high enough octane or older fuel that's been sitting. Try a different station and higher octane for a tank and see what it does.

Could be a knock sensor failing.

OP
OP
Qjoh5510

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Maybe Fuel? What grade of fuel are you using?

Kind of sounds like what you are describing is not high enough octane or older fuel that's been sitting. Try a different station and higher octane for a tank and see what it does.

Could be a knock sensor failing.
I’ve been running mid grade which is 91 out here. My last 2 fill ups have been 93. I don’t get any pinging or knocking when warmed up. Just this quiet knocking or whatever it is when cold for the first few minutes. It is load based too. The more load I give it the heavier and louder it gets.

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 Door sport
I’ve been running mid grade which is 91 out here. My last 2 fill ups have been 93. I don’t get any pinging or knocking when warmed up. Just this quiet knocking or whatever it is when cold for the first few minutes. It is load based too. The more load I give it the heavier and louder it gets.
I just posted a question regarding a similar issue with my 3.6/6speed. I’m hearing that noise aswell when accelerating cold; but I can also hear the ticking/tapping/knocking when it is coming down from fast idle to normal idle for about 5-7 seconds , are you experiencing this aswell?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Qjoh5510

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I just posted a question regarding a similar issue with my 3.6/6speed. I’m hearing that noise aswell when accelerating cold; but I can also hear the ticking/tapping/knocking when it is coming down from fast idle to normal idle for about 5-7 seconds , are you experiencing this aswell?
I’m not sure about the fast to slow idle. I’ll have to check on that in the morning. You’re talking about when you first start the engine and it’s at fast idle and eventually slows down? I’ll pay attention to it in the morning and report back.

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure about the fast to slow idle. I’ll have to check on that in the morning. You’re talking about when you first start the engine and it’s at fast idle and eventually slows down? I’ll pay attention to it in the morning and report back.
Yes exactly, as it’s settling down to normal idle speed I’m getting the noise for 5-7 seconds

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not picking up any knocking noises during rpm slowdown after high idle warmup.
alright well thanks for checking anyways, I’m going to be bringing it to the dealer next week to get checked out.

Sponsored

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I run 93 in mine all the time to keep it from pinging. The manual says pinging is normal. Guess that’s easier than fixing it.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Let your gas tank almost go empty and fill-up with premium. Could be placebo effect, but I swear mine runs quieter and smoother when I do that.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
Just a thought regarding premium fuel. Given the cost of gas these days it occurs to me that stations may be selling a lot less (of premium) these days. Makes me wonder if the stations are sitting on old gas . Perhaps seek out stations with high volume to minimize the chance of getting old gas .........or buy regular which everyone buys and throw in some octane boost.

Anyone ever datalog a Jeep?
Sponsored