ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them!

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I'm still debating the MP Concepts, waiting on a sale or something. It's still around $850 shipped, tax, etc. although it does include skid and winch plate, whereas the best I can find the OEM is $850 for the stubby, then another $450 or so for skid and winch. Anyone else install the MP Concepts and have any issues, etc.?

The other factor is I'm literally in sand/salt on the beach almost daily, basically wind-blown sand onto my Jeep. So......rust is definitely a factor with steel.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
It seems that the winch plate does not fit the swaybar disconnect mechanism on Rubicons without trimming:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...um-bumper-trim-winch-plate-for-rubicon.97783/
Yeah, that's my concern. $850 or so by the time you pay tax, and you are taking a torch/grinder to it, not the end of the world, but that's equipment I don't have readily available. The OEM stubby is a thought, it's roughly $825 on BAM, but add the skid and winch plate and it's getting pretty costly, with a a chance of rust at some point.

Sponsored

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
VKS Shorty V3...

20220820_153903.jpg
20220820_153920.jpg
20220525_204508.jpg

Walter4xe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep wrangler sahara 4xe
I was really curious to read through my thought process again -- starting on page 11 was when I got interested in front bumpers, but I think I had done all my research in "private" and was just deciding which Rock Hard one to do at that point. Thus I could share my spreadsheet for the front, but I now see I didn't look at the Aries for the front at all, and didn't fill it in as much on the rear that I post later, where I was thinking a lot more out loud on the process.

On the rear I wrote it better back then than I could now haha. You can start at the first one and read through, or these are the 4 main highlights:

Starting thought process on rear here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...bumpers-only-lets-see-them.68595/post-1954342

Rear Spreadsheet here (note prices might be slightly out of date, as I found later RH went up in price even more, and some others were on sale): https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...bumpers-only-lets-see-them.68595/post-1957575

Decision here on everything: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...bumpers-only-lets-see-them.68595/post-1983196

And install pic/notes on accessories: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...bumpers-only-lets-see-them.68595/post-1999638
Nice spreedsheet, do u have a frotn bumper ss?

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Nice spreedsheet, do u have a frotn bumper ss?
Thanks. The answer is yes and no to that. I had looked into the front bumper first, and had started making up my mind a bit more before I did the spreadsheet. Thus I had already figured out that I thought Rock Hard had the best price to weight to feature set for me (see the weight*price figure), and was mostly filling in all the bumpers for confirmation...meaning until I found until I hit a "deal breaker" and then move on (vs the rears I was much more unsure what I wanted, so filled in everything).

So I'd say see this as a work in progress that will never be finished, and likely a bit out of date on prices and vendors, but perhaps still a good start.

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 2.33.32 AM

I had started a steel one too, but when I saw the weights I knew I didn't want to do that regardless of cost (for example a Mopar steel system all in roughly 100lbs more than rock hard system)

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 2.42.36 AM

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Thanks. The answer is yes and no to that. I had looked into the front bumper first, and had started making up my mind a bit more before I did the spreadsheet. Thus I had already figured out that I thought Rock Hard had the best price to weight to feature set for me (see the weight*price figure), and was mostly filling in all the bumpers for confirmation...meaning until I found until I hit a "deal breaker" and then move on (vs the rears I was much more unsure what I wanted, so filled in everything).

So I'd say see this as a work in progress that will never be finished, and likely a bit out of date on prices and vendors, but perhaps still a good start.

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 2.42.36 AM

I had started a steel one too, but when I saw the weights I knew I didn't want to do that regardless of cost (for example a Mopar steel system all in roughly 100lbs more than rock hard system)

Wow that is pretty awesome, thanks for sharing. I did something similar for my research, but it was a whole bunch of messy notes and sticky notes all around my computer area haha. This is MUCH better!

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Wow that is pretty awesome, thanks for sharing. I did something similar for my research, but it was a whole bunch of messy notes and sticky notes all around my computer area haha. This is MUCH better!
Thanks! Glad I could contribute. If you're interested in the rear one, the link is embedded in a quote just a couple posts back. It's filled in quite a bit more than this one.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
For a while I considered silver to be an accent color on my Jeep, but recently I changed my stock Willys tires to ones with no white lettering. That made my chrome colored lugs stand out more on the black Willys wheels, so I changed those to black ones. That made the last silver be the bolts on the Rock Hard bumpers and the hard shackles I put on the bumper....

I finally got around to changing those to black. I just plasti-dipped the bolt heads and the shackles. I didn't hate the silver but I do like this more. For anyone considering it here's the difference:

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! front_post_black

4X4JOY

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Supra A91 CF Edition, Acura RDX
Clubs

I also went Genright. I bought the metal skids but haven’t installed those yet, they require drilling holes in the bumpers to mount. I used self etching primer and painted the Aluminum black. I’ve had high scratch area items powder coated in the past and not been any happier w powder coat than paint.

The front bumper went on easily and without any grinding or drama. I went with the full version that protects the stock sway bar disconnect stuff. Winch fit just fine.

The back bumper was difficult and I’m not done yet as the bumper doesn’t come w the parts needed to mount the backup sensors and the optional rear support brackets were delayed, I just got them. I may have to grind the frame a bit if I want the bolts on top to line up.

The bumpers are light and beautiful. They fit tight, especially the rear. I would have liked a bit more installation detail given the cost, but every time I call Genright they pick up the phone and are very supportive.

Offtopic but I went with CavFab tire carrier over Genright because I don't want to double action opening the rear door, I hated that about my JK. The CavFab carrier is very heavy, negating a bit of the value of my Aluminum bumper but a very solidly built product.

Also slightly off topic but Genright did not recommend their Aluminum sliders if "you are going to wheel the thing offroad" because with the JL light body they are having problems. Genright recommended their JL/JK frame mount metal sliders, I went with LOD instead, possibly regret it as they sit lower than I would prefer.

How did you cut the aluminum bumper to fit the rear tow hitch? I just bought same bumper and wanted to see if you photos. Thanks

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Frustrated that Quadratec doesn't offer a fitment for parking sensors; it would be the perfect bumper for me otherwise.

veganchefstyle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 2.0, 2016 BMW 228i xDrive Convert
Occupation
Filmmaker, Plant-based Chef
Clubs

Next Venture Featherlight w/ skid
Bumper looks awesome. What lights did you use? Are the lights mounted in front of or in vent holes? Can you share any photos or info on how you modified the skid plate to accept lights? Thanks
Sponsored