ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them!

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Really like the Next Venture and if it wasn't for the scabbed on license plate location, it would be higher on the list. The $$$ is something to choke on especially since it isn't perfect.

Really trying to figure out how to make the RockHard work. If there are any other aluminum rear bumpers to consider, I am all ears!
Agree that's a lot for Next Venture...but RH isn't gonna be cheap either when you price it out. There's always the lose 15 pounds somewhere on the Jeep to make up for the tire carrier...or maybe work out real hard right before every towing trip? :LOL:

Two aluminum bumpers I haven't looked into yet on my spreadsheet are Aries Trailchaser and MP Concepts Aluminum rear if you're up for looking them up for weight to price to features.
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Apologies if I missed it here... does anyone know the weight of the OEM plastic rear bumper?

proptied

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR Snazz
Agree that's a lot for Next Venture...but RH isn't gonna be cheap either when you price it out. There's always the lose 15 pounds somewhere on the Jeep to make up for the tire carrier...or maybe work out real hard right before every towing trip? :LOL:

Two aluminum bumpers I haven't looked into yet on my spreadsheet are Aries Trailchaser and MP Concepts Aluminum rear if you're up for looking them up for weight to price to features.
I'll have pics the rear NVM featherweight soon if you need some more detailed shots to help decide. Was suppose to ship out this week, so hopefully only a few days behind.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Aries Trailchaser looks interesting with the modular design with removable end caps. Might be nice way to fix a banged up corner? But no provisions for backup sensors and license plate mount looks hokey. Shipping Weight 59lb.

MP Concepts design not appealing to me... however price is half the others. Does have provisions for sensors. I haven't found any weight info.

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Aries Trailchaser looks interesting with the modular design with removable end caps. Might be nice way to fix a banged up corner? But no provisions for backup sensors and license plate mount looks hokey. Shipping Weight 59lb.

MP Concepts design not appealing to me... however price is half the others. Does have provisions for sensors. I haven't found any weight info.
Trailchaser does sound interesting for an aluminum design. No backup sensors is a no-go for me though, especially if it's not a cheap one.

MP Concepts are interesting in that it always seems like aluminum copies of stock products. I've seen questionable reviews for MP Concept front bumper on here but nothing really on the rear. I wanted to know the weight of another item on XT anyway, maybe I'll try to get both.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys

MP Concepts are interesting in that it always seems like aluminum copies of stock products. I've seen questionable reviews for MP Concept front bumper on here but nothing really on the rear. I wanted to know the weight of another item on XT anyway, maybe I'll try to get both.
Follow-up: I called XT and asked about weight for two products. Interesting tidbit was he gave me it seems he had access to shipping weight. On the first case, I asked about the Barricade Enhanced Rubi Rails. He said the quote was 89lbs but the product itself was likely 10-15lbs less due to packaging for a big item like those.

On the MP Concepts aluminum rear bumper, he said 36lbs and that it was likely closer to being accurate to the product itself. So that's pretty light and kinda nice given the cutout, license plate provision, sensors for a pretty low price ($750 shipped). I'd be really curious to know if anyone had used it before, since some of the reviews for the front on here were "installs ok, look good", others were like "torn up box, no instructions, hard to install, bad powder coat".

So in summary, no tire carrier sounds like the only two options one-for-one with stock are Next Venture and MP Concepts. If you were gonna do a tire carrier anyway (though I don't think you'd need to with your tire plans), RH also in the running. If you're weren't gonna do a tire carrier, RH total weight creeps into the territory with a few other steel options. If you had to have the license plate on the bumper itself, that might only leave you with RH and MP concepts from what I've seen so far.

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
Good to hear someone like me out there! Yep the Rock Hard aluminum front is great so far. My only thoughts with it left are "should I black out the bolts?" and "is there something I could do with the front light mounting tabs other than lights?" (I don't need anymore lights).

I totally agree that Rock Hard being a low weight and having the license plate/sensors is a nice feature set. The tire/offset is a bummer; I wish they had found a way to make a cutout. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me can chip on the 35s, but from what I've read before, I don't think you'd need more than the stock carrier for 35s. If that's true, you're probably in be the same camp as me where'd you'd have to buy at minimum the $150 adjustable mount / extra 15lbs when you wouldn't have before (I'm not sure but I don't think backspacing differences will help?...they say any tire over 28" won't fit).

For more of my research on this and others: All together, if I check out on their site, with freight shipping and the tire mount it comes out to $1525 for the rear (if it ships with a pallet like my front did, I don't think that would fit in the Jeep, which means I'd have to rent a pickup to get it, or pay an additional $200 for shipping to my address). That probably means around $1600-1750 total for the RH rear bumper from their site. I'd probably be able to get the cost down some by buying from Northridge or Quadratec which don't charge as much for shipping, but they say you'd wait 8-9 weeks? (I was lucky with Northridge that they had one front in stock with free shipping and forum discount).

Everybody's finances and priorities are different, but at least to me at that price point it's not the same dollar to weight to feature value proposition that convinced me to buy their aluminum front (everything together for front was almost 100lbs under some other systems, not so here). If you're gonna be at 45lbs for the package anyway, from what I've researched the Quadratec aluminum is 50 pounds and $900 shipped (though no backup sensors doesn't work for me). There are at least 3 steel bumpers I posted above that are in the 40-50 pounds range with backup sensors/space for the hitch and will cost about $650 shipped (including buying something to relocate the license plate).

I haven't nearly made up my mind yet, but for $700-$1k less and the same weight for the package, I think it'd be hard to justify RH for my use case vs one of the steel ones. If the finance part isn't a huge deal to you but pure weight is, I'd consider looking into a few other light aluminum ones as part of your research. For example I saw Next Venture is light and has a spare cutout. Says it's 34 pounds and $1650-$1950 shipped (depending on powder coat -- no license plate, but can have LED cutouts too).

Hope my current research brain dump helps with your search too.
You don't have to take the pallet. Just cut the bands and throw the bumper in the back of the jeep. I worked for a freight company most of my life and never forced anyone to take the pallet.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
You don't have to take the pallet. Just cut the bands and throw the bumper in the back of the jeep. I worked for a freight company most of my life and never forced anyone to take the pallet.
That sounds nice, wanna negotiate my next delivery? lol. But maybe that's the process if you go the freight center? I only have one data point so far: ordering through Northridge, FedEx delivered the RH front to the front of my apt complex. He knocked on the door and was like "I'll help you move it from the parking lot to your lawn, but I don't bring it up the stairs", handed me the shipping receipt (I signed nothing) and "I have no time to stay around", said "you have to take the pallet", and gtfo'd.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I haven't seen them on this thread so far, so I will throw in a post. I have the Roam Pioneer front and rear aluminum bumpers. I have had them on for about 18 months now. Really like them. My only gripe is the thickness of the ends of the rear bumper, cuts departure angle a bit. In this aspect I think the Evo or Rockhard are better options, otherwise love this set-up.

Also, while the logo is cut in very blatantly (which I would normally really dislike), in this case I choose to take "ROAM" not as a company logo but as a suggestion.

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! front bumper

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! Rear Bumper

Sponsored

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds nice, wanna negotiate my next delivery? lol. But maybe that's the process if you go the freight center? I only have one data point so far: ordering through Northridge, FedEx delivered the RH front to the front of my apt complex. He knocked on the door and was like "I'll help you move it from the parking lot to your lawn, but I don't bring it up the stairs", handed me the shipping receipt (I signed nothing) and "I have no time to stay around", said "you have to take the pallet", and gtfo'd.
Yes, that's the process if you go to the freight center, where else would you go to pick it up in your jeep?

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Yes, that's the process if you go to the freight center, where else would you go to pick it up in your jeep?
Well....yeah...that makes two of us that weren't confused about that part lol.

I was more wondering if that was specifically because they're nicer at the desk or just less stressed on time than the driver, or the process is different for packages with pallets at the freight office, as it didn't match my experience with home delivery to my apt. Or maybe I could've done it at my apt if I knew ahead of time and was insistent enough with the driver, etc.

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well....yeah...that makes two of us that weren't confused about that part lol.

I was more wondering if that was specifically because they're nicer at the desk or just less stressed on time than the driver, or the process is different for packages with pallets at the freight office, as it didn't match my experience with home delivery to my apt. Or maybe I could've done it at my apt if I knew ahead of time and was insistent enough with the driver, etc.
I guess you roll the dice on that one. What I was addressing was when you said "If it ships with a pallet like my front did, I don't think that would fit in the jeep" part of your post. So, I was just saying to cut the bumper loose from the pallet and leave it behind.

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara

Rival 4x4 full-width front bumper and Rival cube lights. Hooks painted 4xe blue.

Net weight gain over stock plastic, without the winch= 54.8 pounds
love that. Which paint did you use? The Surf Blue?

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
@dragoneggs / anyone else in the future that's interested: at the risk of exposing myself as the obsessive I can be sometimes, I finished off the aluminum table on my rear bumper spreadsheet (since there aren't that many, went through and did all I could find). Other than the notes field, I tried to leave off any "interpretations" of the data based on my own preferences (weight to price ratio, what features are requirements for me, etc.). Prices are meant to a be a total costs based on extra parts needed (spare adjustment, license plate). Thus they are in carts and ready to purchase, including shipping/taxes (to VA) and any discounts I could find.

There's too many steel ones in to do this in general, but several of the lighter steel ones are pretty competitive with these on weight so I'll eventually do those. Let me know if I got typo'd/got something wrong or there's another one I need to check out

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! alum_rear_bumper
Sponsored