Sponsored

Air intake noise when decelerating?

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
At almost 1000 miles on my 2021 JLURD and was wondering if anyone else notices some noise when coming to a stop. Sounds to me almost like back pressure or something from the intake, which is now on the drivers side.

this is my first diesel and first turbo so maybe it’s normal and I’m just not used to it?
Sponsored

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
Does it sound like a turbine by chance? It could be the sound of your turbo spooling down.

I occasionally hear mine when I’m coming down the small hill on the road approaching our house. There’s a sharp corner at the bottom so I’m normally going 15-20 mph and the sound is pretty distinct.

You’ll hear it quite often on acceleration, but that’s the only time I hear it slowing down.

OP
OP
diamondschwin

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
Does it sound like a turbine by chance? It could be the sound of your turbo spooling down.
I mean that’s what I assumed it was, but I figured someone would know better. I get some whistle and high pitched noise with throttle and sometimes this noise when letting off.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
At almost 1000 miles on my 2021 JLURD and was wondering if anyone else notices some noise when coming to a stop. Sounds to me almost like back pressure or something from the intake, which is now on the drivers side.

this is my first diesel and first turbo so maybe it’s normal and I’m just not used to it?
On my 3.0L diesel, it is the turbo spinning down. The high frequency sound is there, but very subtle.

Sponsored

mikejr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JKURD, 2021 4RTRDORP
Similar here, my sound when slowing down is like a small ”thunder” sound. IDK how to describe it.
I've noticed a sound that's almost like a disc brake w/ a bad rotor or pad dragging when slowing down - without my foot on the brake. I just assumed it was part of that extremely aggressive engine braking tune the 3.0 has.

Kyrioes

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUD
I have been hearing this the past couple of mornings. This is bad impersonation, but its a quick "lug lug lug" sound when I let off gas when the Diesel cold. It sounds like its sucking in air.

ZiggSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I have been hearing this the past couple of mornings. This is bad impersonation, but its a quick "lug lug lug" sound when I let off gas when the Diesel cold. It sounds like its sucking in air.
Turbo bark/compressor surge
Just the air moving back over the compressor wheel when its got no where else to go.
Sponsored