AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
Go with the tow package. I love the alpine system but would chose the tow if I had to pick. Most importantly, beautiful dog! Goldens are the best

B3D99288-597A-4896-8971-DCDAEF05D6F8.jpeg
Yes they are definitely the best :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. Even though I love the Punk’n, I’m wondering if I should just order what I want. No use in paying for other extras. I do love the Granite Crystal too and that’s a mainstay color. I wonder if Jeep has anything special planned for their 80th anniversary...

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Thanks everyone. Even though I love the Punk’n, I’m wondering if I should just order what I want. No use in paying for other extras. I do love the Granite Crystal too and that’s a mainstay color. I wonder if Jeep has anything special planned for their 80th anniversary...
Absolutely order what you want and pick your next favorite color.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
We have a 2020 JLUR and a 2020 JLUS. The Rubi has the alpine upgrade and I love it. Better sound, better screen, and hd radio. Neither has the tow package. Both with the turbo. Absolutely love the Rubi, especially around town. For trips, the Sport rides smoother, easier, and better mpg. A\T on the sport, M\T on the Rubi. Both fairly minimally equipped and the Rubi only $7k more than the Sport.

My Sport is Granite Crystal and I still love the color. Hopefully it’s timeless

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Decisions.... decisions!

I debated many of the same things you’re considering before I bought my Rubicon. I drove 2 doors and 4... manuals and auto... loaded and bare. Ended up with the Rubicon for several reasons.

First, I have no intention of rock crawling. I am however a wanderer and usually travel alone. I go exploring all the time so as a solo traveler I have to be prepared for whatever I find and wherever I end up. Rubicon was my insurance. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Second, it had the majority of things on it that I wanted, including the Alpine. I thought at the time that I wanted tow as well and was disappointed it didn’t have it. Turns out I didn’t need it. Tow rating was too low to really be useful and the Jeep is so capable there was really no need for me to add a bunch of aftermarket stuff where I’d be better off having the switch bank. The Alpine however gets used every day and the 8.4 inch screen is fantastic for seeing/reaching everything. Sound is incredible, even with the soft top or topless.

Four cylinder or six. Mine has the V6. My sister and many friends have the four. They both “feel” similar and if I didn’t know already that the four was a four when driving it I would have been hard pressed to tell. No issues on mine and no issues on theirs so far and all of us are in the 24-30k mileage range under all sorts of circumstances.

Bottom line as others have said, prioritize what you need and what you want. If you order you get it all. If you find one on a lot that you like that checks most of the boxes then go for it. If you find it needs something later, in most cases there’s an aftermarket to fill the void... it’s a Jeep after all!

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Man I really like the Rubi though, but for 15K more? Ugh. I hate making decisions so much.
Hi Jenn........ , If you have that little voice in the back of your head telling you to get the Rubi........DO IT! All other options can be added later if necessary, but if you get another model just because it’s optioned they way you want it, that little voice will start using a megaphone and will never go away.......... trust me on this!

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I abide by a simple rule when it comes to my cash. I ALWAYS buy what I want. Settling is not an option. That said, I’ve had many aftermarket systems in my rides over the years. I spent thousands on my 1st wrangler with a removable Alpine deck, 2 amps and custom dual 12” sub box. I can tell you with certainty.. the Alpine system in my new 2020 Rubi is the best I’ve heard, hands down! When the top is down, you’ll appreciate it even more. Good luck.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
< gotta love them punk'n rubi's!!!

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y’all are the best. I love reading everyone’s reviews. While, I really want an orange Jeep at some point, I think I may start looking for one in another color that has my “must haves” or order one.

Not sure how long I can wait as my 15 Sahara has 85K and will prob continue to lose value. The one good thing is I’m not putting as many miles on it due to Covid.

For those that have the Adaptive Safety Group, how do you like it? I don’t think I would like it and probably turn it off every time I get in. That would become annoying. But it seems like most Wranglers on the lot have them, at least the Saharas and Rubis.

Also for the 2.0, does that require premium gasoline? Doesn’t that offset any fuel savings?

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Y’all are the best. I love reading everyone’s reviews. While, I really want an orange Jeep at some point, I think I may start looking for one in another color that has my “must haves” or order one.

Not sure how long I can wait as my 15 Sahara has 85K and will prob continue to lose value. The one good thing is I’m not putting as many miles on it due to Covid.

For those that have the Adaptive Safety Group, how do you like it? I don’t think I would like it and probably turn it off every time I get in. That would become annoying. But it seems like most Wranglers on the lot have them, at least the Saharas and Rubis.

Also for the 2.0, does that require premium gasoline? Doesn’t that offset any fuel savings?
Yes the 2.0 turbo requires premium. typically it's only about $5.00 more per 20gal tank for me it's worth it. I run premium in all my vehicles even if they don't require it. Test drive a 2.0T you will be surprised how much power they have.

Sponsored

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
Are you in love with Orange?. You may end up liking whatever color you get if you go in a different direction. Don’t get one you hate obviously, but over time, you can grow to like most colors. These forums have made me change my mind about almost every color except two or three that I can’t stand.

“if you’re not with the one you love, love the one you’re with”

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!

I test drove the 2.0 and that’s what solidified my choice to stick with the 6 cyl 3.6. It’s a time tested engine which can be modified in the future should you wish. Again, I always think “ optionality”.

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
If you're not in a rush, order what you want, NOT what the dealer has on the lot. You'll be way happier. Also, to echo what so many have said, the tow package is a must imho because of the switch bank and accessory wiring made simple.
As far as the Alpine system goes, I personally think it's not worth the 1200. Drove a Rubi with that setup last week and although it did have better sound than mine, it wasn't $1200 better. You don't want the sub woofer and there are threads on here with speaker upgrade options you can choose for WAY less money, and it doesn't get you anything on resale. Did I read that someone spent 5K on a stereo upgrade?!

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
I bought a Sport S about a week ago and it has the base stereo system. I took the doors off for the first time this weekend and with it "naked", I will admit I wish I would've sprung for the Alpine system. The base stereo is pretty "meh". I imagine I'll upgrade at some point down the road.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
When i ordered mine i got the alpine but not the tow package. I like my music loud and wanted the big screen and it was a no brainer for me as it was something i knew i was going to make use of and enjoy every time i got in the Jeep. On the other hand, i knew i am very unlikely to ever use the extra wiring that comes with the tow package and our other car (WK2) has a hitch for the bikes.

A year of ownership later, i wish i had a hitch on the JL but it seems to be an easy DYI to buy one online and bolt it on, though not sure how much the dealer would charge to install the extra wiring & buttons.

I guess if i had to decide on either / or, i would base it on 2 things:
1. Which one would i get the most use / enjoyment out of?
2. If i want to retrofit the package i don't end up getting, what is the excess cost to do it vs. what it costs out of the factory/dealer? Alpine goes for $1,300 and Tow for $800
Sponsored