Advice on Options...

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
Hey everyone. I’m going to test drive a Punk’n Rubi tomorrow. It’s one of only few Punk’n Rubis left on the lot in my area. It has the options I want, except the Alpine package. I love the option in my 15 Sahara. That being said, I know I can aftermarket speaker for better sound output. I really don’t want a sub that goes under the seat, but is this my only option? Can it be placed in the side panel of the cargo area where the factory sub is placed?

There is another one that does have it but it doesn’t have the trailer tow package and it’s the 2.0 turbo with ESS and I was looking to stay with the v6

Any information is much appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I assume it’s a four door? The member marketplace has had factory subs before, and JL Audio makes a stealthbox for the driver or passenger sides — similar to the factory location. If it’s a two door, the factory location isn’t the same (sub goes in the floor in the storage cubby), and you’re more limited in your options.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
If you are debating the sound vs the tow package- no brainer. Pick the tow package. The benefits are way higher with the wiring built in. As mentioned, several people on here have done aftermarket sub options and some look pretty decent. You won’t have to put it under the seat

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
If you are debating the sound vs the tow package- no brainer. Pick the tow package. The benefits are way higher with the wiring built in. As mentioned, several people on here have done aftermarket sub options and some look pretty decent. You won’t have to put it under the seat
Agreed. I ended up with sound not tow, and that’s the one thing I would change if I could buy it over again.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
You are right about it the Punkin Rubi being scarce in the area! I only saw 2 in a 150 mile radius. St. Augustine and Lake City. Maybe a dealer could do a more thorough search. Good luck!

Sponsored

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I have a Sahara with 2.0 (punk'n also ;)), the upgraded sound package or whatever. I love my turbo engine, though it seems all parties are usually happy with whichever engine they get. Anyways, I did not order the tow package as I don't plan on towing anything and I didn't realize that it came with the auxiliary switch bank.

If it's the auxiliary switch bank you are interested in from the tow package, you don't have to worry if you don't get the tow package. The auxiliary switch bank can be installed by the dealership later on, which is what I had them do for me.

If it's the other options that come with the tow package, I can't help you there. But I hope my insight and experience can help you with your decision!

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input so far. To muddy things up a little more, there is a Punk'n Sport at the same dealership...only package is the Tow package added. Man I really like the Rubi though, but for 15K more? Ugh. I hate making decisions so much.

For the handling issues I've heard about, any tips on what to look out for during the test drive? I'm coming from a 2015 JKU Sahara.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Thanks for the input so far. To muddy things up a little more, there is a Punk'n Sport at the same dealership...only package is the Tow package added. Man I really like the Rubi though, but for 15K more? Ugh. I hate making decisions so much.
Tow package is sooooo worth it. It's my only regret. I added the hitch myself no problem, but the wiring and switches are quite the hassle if you wanna do them on your own later.

I have a Sport, and most people will tell you a Sport is totally fine, but you have to be honest with yourself and what you want to do. For me, 15k more for a rubi just isn't worth it. I do mostly beach and dunes offroad, and my Sport has handled it with ease. If you're not going to do much rock crawling, then the rubi becomes more of a style statement... and 15k more for a style statement s definitely not worth it to me, but to each their own.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
I love my Sport. A lot of people will say, "Get a Rubicon for the wider/stronger axles if you plan on rock crawling," but there are a lot of other upgrades included in a Rubicon that aren't on a Sport-no-S. Take air conditioning. I'm glad I have AC -- not just for hot days but also for controlling humidity during rain. And, you're from Jacksonville...

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Rubicon that I'm going to test drive tomorrow has M/T Tires. I wished they had A/T, but that's something I can always change down the road. I'm sure they are louder/rougher on the street.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
For what it worth, I got a 2020 JL Rubi loaded, and handling wise, it is great, I travelled 1200+ miles out to the Black Hills after I bought in Oregon, and coming from a Mazda, CX-5 , one of the best driving suv's made, it really was nice. Wind effects it much more, not so much in noise, but in mileage and in a crosswind, you'll have to be keeping pressure on wheel to stay true, but it tracks dead straight.

I was actually expecting a much more primitive ride, and was really surprised.

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.toolsinaction.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR, , 84 CJ7 , 22 TREMOR, 23 Model Y
Occupation
Pan Handler
Vehicle Showcase
I so regret not getting the Alpine option. I paid $5500 to upgrade to a JL system. It sounds good but still wish I had the factory upgrade and $5500 in my pocket!
Sponsored