First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Wait…..

Ford has a truck called a Maverick?

the last Ford Maverick I drove was around 1982. The Maverick was a 1973 with as much rust and bondo as paint. In-line 6 was crap.

Not mine but looked like this….. this is clean….mine was sh*t…… but def not a truck.

Jeep Wrangler JL A more simple Jeep? E7C511AA-434C-48B8-8687-0E3A7364F4FB
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The new Ford Maverick is a huge seller already, Ford has put price point, value, fuel economy in a very attractive package. Bring in young buyers, and keep them for life.
This used to be Jeep Territory,how many repeat buyers stay, or come back, because of memories associated with that vehicle brand ? The youth market is key, which is why the 2 door base Wrangler Sport will never go away.
Actually, a versatile fun, affordable vehicle appeals to young and old, the latter for simplicity and retirement affordability. The Maverick appeals to both these markets.
Will the Maverick force a response from Jeep, as the Bronco has ? Stay Tuned

OP
OP
Nomad

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The new Ford Maverick is a huge seller already, Ford has put price point, value, fuel economy in a very attractive package. Bring in young buyers, and keep them for life.
This used to be Jeep Territory,how many repeat buyers stay, or come back, because of memories associated with that vehicle brand ? The youth market is key, which is why the 2 door base Wrangler Sport will never go away.
Actually, a versatile fun, affordable vehicle appeals to young and old, the latter for simplicity and retirement affordability. The Maverick appeals to both these markets.
Will the Maverick force a response from Jeep, as the Bronco has ? Stay Tuned
This is more what I’m taking about.
I’m not saying to bring back and modernize the TJ. I’m saying that the Renegade is going to need a full redesign soon one way or another. Jeep already has plenty of SUVs that are not focused on off road. So a little more Wrangler styling and add a few more rugged features while eliminating some of the floof. And maybe they keep the Renegade while making a different model in the same platform. Whatever. The Jimny is making money overseas whether they bring it here or not. I don’t see why Jeep couldn’t do something similar. Maybe they don’t project enough sales, fair enough. But it’s not like they couldn’t.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
About 2 years ago, Jeep announced they are planning to produce their smallest Jeep.

Many assumed it would be a car smaller than the Renegade. I hope it will be a mini version of the Wrangler.

The Suzuki Jimmny sells well here. Compared to my 2 door JL, the Jimmny has squeezy cockpit, little cargo space and less ground clearance.

But I note the external dimensions of the Jimmny, the length and the width, are about the same as the 1941 GP Jeep.

I think a mini Wrangler would sell well in Australia. The Jimmny is not availabale in the US or Canada so a mini Wrangler would take that market.

Find below 2 videos, comparing the 2 door Wrangler to the Jimmny. I have done off roading at the place the first one was filmed.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
The largest car market in the USA is California and you won’t be able to sell that vehicle in that state unless it’s electric within 13 years. Massachusetts announced the same, and currently 26 states follow CARB so I’m expecting the same from them. Your version of the vehicle should be designed electric from the ground up unless you want to redesign it later which would be costly. That could affect the size and will surely affect the range of the vehicle. The Rivian is the only “off-road” EV and it weighs 8500 lbs. As of today, the idea of small / not complex and EV do not mix well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nomad

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The largest car market in the USA is California and you won’t be able to sell that vehicle in that state unless it’s electric within 13 years. Massachusetts announced the same, and currently 26 states follow CARB so I’m expecting the same from them. Your version of the vehicle should be designed electric from the ground up unless you want to redesign it later which would be costly. That could affect the size and will surely affect the range of the vehicle. The Rivian is the only “off-road” EV and it weighs 8500 lbs. As of today, the idea of small / not complex and EV do not mix well.
I’m not at all against EV but 13 years is a lot longer than the shelf life of a particular design, even the Wrangler.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not at all against EV but 13 years is a lot longer than the shelf life of a particular design, even the Wrangler.
Whether it is or it isn’t, it now is. Hasn’t the 3.6 been around for 11 years?

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
To put things into perspective....my '99 TJ Sahara was over 21K bought new in '99. It had the 30" tire package, 4.0 inline 6, sound bar and dual tops. No power anything but full doors. That was 22 years ago.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
When I bought my 2021 Rubicon off the lot two months ago, I bought it specifically because it had everything I wanted, and none of the options I didn't want. It only has two options, a hard top and an auto transmission, which was perfect for me. It had been so long since I had seen a base model Rubicon, and it was the right color, so I bought it the same day. Most of what you want on a Jeep is now standard equipment, and options are just stupid, like cross-path detection, adaptive cruise control, etc. There is definitely a market for a less well equipped Jeep, but dealerships almost never order them that way because they make more money on highly optioned vehicles. If I could have bought one without stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes, or any of the other nuisance electronics I would have done so. The problem is, there are so many laws regulating every aspect of our lives, that manufacturers can't sell a simpler Jeep, at least not for on road use. The Roxor pictured above, and UTVs have become the simpler Jeep of today. My Can Am Defender is plain and simple, cost $20,000, and is street legal in my state. But you couldn't drive it on the interstate, or expect to put 100,000 miles on it.
Jeep Wrangler JL A more simple Jeep? Defender Limited light bar

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Now that Congress ("We have met the Enemy, and he is US") has passed a law requiring a Drunk Driver Detector, by 2026, on all new passenger vehicles , you can kiss any notion of " simpler " goodbye.
Forget the Fact that " distracted " driving, notably contributed to by all the aforementioned Add-ons kills more people than "drunk driving", like 6X more.
Texting and cell phone use ranking as the greatest culprit.
The Reality of punishing all for the bad choices of the few is reaching ridiculous proportions ; if you think you can take refuge in Pre - Lobotomy vehicles, Surprise ! They will be legislated out of existence by the Well Intended Rulers of Big Goverment Purgatory.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A dealer who would stock base Jeep right now would sell every single one. They would have to be a 90%/10% mix of automatic to manual though.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Here it would be more like 75-80% four door. But, yeah, I get your point.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that Congress ("We have met the Enemy, and he is US") has passed a law requiring a Drunk Driver Detector, by 2026, on all new passenger vehicles , you can kiss any notion of " simpler " goodbye.
Forget the Fact that " distracted " driving, notably contributed to by all the aforementioned Add-ons kills more people than "drunk driving", like 6X more.
Texting and cell phone use ranking as the greatest culprit.
The Reality of punishing all for the bad choices of the few is reaching ridiculous proportions ; if you think you can take refuge in Pre - Lobotomy vehicles, Surprise ! They will be legislated out of existence by the Well Intended Rulers of Big Goverment Purgatory.
2024 according to car and driver. Don’t worry, it’s not like they would past the cost on to you lol
Sponsored