Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Is 91 octane common?

The gas stations around me carry 87, 89 and 93. If I get the 2.0T, I guess I will have to mix.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
91 is common premium for higher elevations. 93 is common premium for those of us closer to sea level. It's 93 octane in my neck of the woods too.
Yeah, up here, on the US side of the border you will even see 85.5 as the ā€˜regularā€™ octane level in some places because of the lower propensity to ignite prematurely, but I would avoid that stuff when possible, about as actively as trying to avoid ethanol, to which...

Some of the variability of whatā€™s on offer in some areas is also dependant on the use of ethanol, either for petroleum company preferences or state/county requirements ( a lot of ā€˜cornā€™ states or ā€˜greenā€™ states/counties use ethanol to boost their ratings). Most often you will see the 93 options having a higher ethanol content to reach that level, 93 on pure gasoline is rare. Look for the price difference between octane ratings, higher price premium is more likely pure gasoline, a closer price with regular is more likely higher ethanol content which will impact your fuel economy (to the tune of about 2% drop in fuel economy for every 5% in ethanol blend).

Based on a general map, it looks like NJ is a state that requires Ethanol in some of its fuel, so that may explain it, most people mention those NE states when they say they have 93 and not 91.You can see where itā€™s just some counties, like NY, Maine, etc.

Jeep Wrangler JL 91 Octane {filename}