MisFiTkEv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport S 2.0l Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
View attachment 80947 Hey everyone. Since before people even had their turbos there was debate over what the real life MPG was going to be. Just wanted a space for MPG discussion. Ive been putting 91 octane and getting about 25 mpg (when I am not driving like a maniac).
How about you all? what are you getting?

20180816_135852.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
View attachment 80947 Hey everyone. Since before people even had their turbos there was debate over what the real life MPG was going to be. Just wanted a space for MPG discussion. Ive been putting 91 octane and getting about 25 mpg (when I am not driving like a maniac).

20180816_135852.jpg
How do you get the average mpg to show up?

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
You have to go into screen setup and tell the display what info you wish to view and where.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Iā€™m still on my first tank of dealer gas lol. I not going to post numbers until I know for a fact that a couple of tanks of 91 are in it. Iā€™ll be filling it up for the first time this weekend and am wondering exactly what thecdealer put in it because they proudly proclaimed when I was picking it up ā€œyou can put regular gas in it!ā€ I just stayed quiet and did an eyeroll to myself.

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon

20180816_135852.jpg
Great idea, and great MPG! :like:
Thank you.

Sponsored

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Iā€™m still on my first tank of dealer gas lol. I not going to post numbers until I know for a fact that a couple of tanks of 91 are in it. Iā€™ll be filling it up for the first time this weekend and am wondering exactly what thecdealer put in it because they proudly proclaimed when I was picking it up ā€œyou can put regular gas in it!ā€ I just stayed quiet and did an eyeroll to myself.
LOL

OP
OP

MisFiTkEv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport S 2.0l Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
How do you get the average mpg to show up?
Just like Relbus said...go to screen setup. Its pretty cool how much you can change the display.

Rockreid... I am curious--- are we all just "afraid" to put in 87 in our turbos? I mean, do we really think it will harm something in the future? Or just make a small "engine knock" that we can ignore? I guess only time will tell!

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Just like Relbus said...go to screen setup. Its pretty cool how much you can change the display.

Rockreid... I am curious--- are we all just "afraid" to put in 87 in our turbos? I mean, do we really think it will harm something in the future? Or just make a small "engine knock" that we can ignore? I guess only time will tell!
My understanding is that it dampens the Turbo benefits. You only get the intended feel (responsiveness, acceleration, etc) and efficiency if you use the premium. @viper88 posted several comments to that effect on another thread - the 2.0L feels more sluggish on regular and only really comes to life with 91.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
You have to go into screen setup and tell the display what info you wish to view and where.
Thank u , been driving me nuts how to figure that out , and how to keep track of certain trip distances

Brad1927

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara Turbo
I've been getting 17 in my daily commute, which is short and very hilly city driving. Few highway trips got about 21.5. All on mid grade. No vehicles come close to EPA where I live.

Just switched to 93 (don't have 91 here), so I'm hoping for an uptick.

Sponsored

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Forced induction engines (turbos and superchargers) have higher compression ratios when under boost than a ā€œnormalā€ NA engine. Higher compression pressures inside the engine cause cheap gas to detonate or burn too quickly. The ECU has to retard the timing of the engine to avoid damage and this reduces performance and hurts fuel economy.

Higher octane gas burns more slowly to deal with the higher compression. Full performance and fuel economy specs are realized using the recommended 91 octane level the manufacturer requires. Btw, Putting in 93 will not add to the performance even more. 91 is all you need. FYI, my Audi q7 v8 has a NA engine but also needs 91 because it too is a high compression engine, so engines donā€™t have to be turbos to need Premium fuel.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
I canā€™t find screen setup lol

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Forced induction engines (turbos and superchargers) have higher compression ratios when under boost than a ā€œnormalā€ NA engine. Higher compression pressures inside the engine cause cheap gas to detonate or burn too quickly. The ECU has to retard the timing of the engine to avoid damage and this reduces performance and hurts fuel economy.

Higher octane gas burns more slowly to deal with the higher compression. Full performance and fuel economy specs are realized using the recommended 91 octane level the manufacturer requires. Btw, Putting in 93 will not add to the performance even more. 91 is all you need. FYI, my Audi q7 v8 has a NA engine but also needs 91 because it too is a high compression engine, so engines donā€™t have to be turbos to need Premium fuel.
My Infinity M35 needed premium as well and it wasnā€™t a turbo , in Chicago i go to Costco for my Gas and they only offer 93 octane but. Itā€™s still way cheaper then going to a regular gas station here

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My understanding is that it dampens the Turbo benefits. You only get the intended feel (responsiveness, acceleration, etc) and efficiency if you use the premium. @viper88 posted several comments to that effect on another thread - the 2.0L feels more sluggish on regular and only really comes to life with 91.
I'd run what FCA recommends. The 2.0 is designed to run at it's peak performance with premium. I definitely noticed the difference in performance. You can run the 2.0 with regular gas if premium is not available. Or if the dealers are too cheap to fill with premium during test drives. lol. Modern cars have knock sensors that sense engine ping caused by low octane. Engine computers will make adjustments to prevent potential damage from knock.
Sponsored