5000 lbs tow limit

AndySpill

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Searching the forum (although less than exhaustively) I couldn’t find this increased tow limit, from 3500 lbs, on the 2024 Rubicon with the free floating axle, cited from some Stellantis website. I see it mentioned on the web, and on this forum, but not from Stellantis.

Has anyone a Stellantis link to this? I couldn't easily find it on the https://www.jeep.com/ website--which doesn't of course mean it isn't staring me in the face there and I just missed it.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

As far as I have seen, nobody has been able to find anything official except press releases when they announced the model year... No manuals or anything else mentions it...

(E) stupid autoassume.

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

dstevens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX
tl;dr

Marketing materiel for the 2024 showed a 5000 lb tow limit. None of the vehicles have more than a class II hitch and none have a limit over 3500 lbs.

Seems like marketing got ahead of engineering. Or they failed a test. Or the accountants found out.

BenDiesel

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep wrangler 2 door 6MT soft top
Occupation
rocket scientist
Clubs

ya the web page for the 4 door rubicon says it can tow 5k, no upgrade for the 2 door

KCSgtMaj

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY24 Rubicon Unlimited, 3.6L
Occupation
Retired Marine, Master Plumber
Only 2.0 and 3.6 auto’s with 4.10 gearing with full float axle is supposed to be able to tow 5K lbs. Though when I reviewed my build sheet it showed a Class II hitch was installed, and according to data a Class II hitch max tow weight is 3500lbs. So you would need a Class III receiver hitch installed to cover the 5Klbs weight rating.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Anyone see a new order guide since May? Last one I can find still shows all the hitches as class II.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Only 2.0 and 3.6 auto’s with 4.10 gearing with full float axle is supposed to be able to tow 5K lbs. Though when I reviewed my build sheet it showed a Class II hitch was installed, and according to data a Class II hitch max tow weight is 3500lbs. So you would need a Class III receiver hitch installed to cover the 5Klbs weight rating.
I haven't been able to find an aftermarket hitch capable of 5k either. The highest rated one I've seen is Draw Tite's at 4500/675. https://www.draw-tite.com/product/76382_class-iii-trailer-hitch

Sponsored

winojoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel
Interesting. According to that doc (and apparently only that doc?) it's auto 2.0 and 3.6 Rubicons with 4.10 gears.
that’s exactly correct. Can’t find this on Jeeps website, even the configurator has wrong info. Rubicon Unlimited+ 4.10 + AT+ 2.0L or 3.6L get 5K towing. All others are 3500.

Also, all 24 Rubicons have the full floating rear axle. Some ppl (including professional automotive reviewers) mistakenly believe that only the two engine configurations with 5k towing have FFRA, which is not true.

winojoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I tend to think the FFRA having anything to do with tow rating is a marketing ploy.

Interesting read on the test: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/

Some thoughts on the things they have to overcome:
Hitch, obviously
Cooling system requirements, this was specifically what I've heard in engineer interviews when they released the JT.
Wheelbase, one of the tests includes the amount of weight that can unload from the front axle, the shorter the wheelbase the more upward force on the front from the same load (at least calculating in my head from classes I took 20 years ago, lol)

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I haven't been able to find an aftermarket hitch capable of 5k either. The highest rated one I've seen is Draw Tite's at 4500/675. https://www.draw-tite.com/product/76382_class-iii-trailer-hitch
Rough country doesn't list specs, but does classify their hitch as class 3. By industry standard class 3 hitches are supposed to be rated up to 8klbs. Has anyone seen the hitch installed on the European and Australian models? They've always had a 5500lb rating so I'm guessing they don't put the class 2 hitch on them?

OP
OP

AndySpill

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Searching the forum (although less than exhaustively) I couldn’t find this increased tow limit, from 3500 lbs, on the 2024 Rubicon with the free floating axle, cited from some Stellantis website. I see it mentioned on the web, and on this forum, but not from Stellantis.

Has anyone a Stellantis link to this? I couldn't easily find it on the https://www.jeep.com/ website--which doesn't of course mean it isn't staring me in the face there and I just missed it.

Thanks.
Answering my own question: first bullet point here: :)

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=24889&mid=52#:~:text=New for 2024, select Wrangler 4xe models offer a Jeep,-ft.
Sponsored

Last edited: