5000 mile break-in before towing?

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
I am brand new to jeep—300 miles in and I love it so far! I know Jeep recommends a 5000 mile break in period before towing. Does anyone have thoughts on whether that is necessary? I have a utility trailer converted to hold kayaks and a roof top tent that I previously towed with a minivan. I haven’t weighed it but there is no way it is 2000 pounds. I am certain I’m going to want to take it out before I hit 5000 miles! How patient should I be?
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Do your axle a favor and change the fluid at 5K. These things generate a lot of metal and if you are towing install 75W-140 in it. Changing the axle fluid is easier than changing the engine oil and filter.

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
Oh jeez, I plan on towing relatively soon after taking delivery too. I thought it was the first 500 miles that we weren't suppose to tow and then when first towing, limiting speed to 50 MPH the next 500 miles. Are you sure it's the first 5,000 miles?

ETA: I hope I'm quoting from an up-to-date owner's manual as I just took of screen shot of page 197 and it does say 500 miles. *whew* ...I hope I don't have to wait 5,000 miles as that will take me a long period of time to rack up.

Jeep Wrangler JL 5000 mile break-in before towing? towing during break-i

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quinn99

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
That sounds way more reasonable! Guess I should have read the manual instead of listening to a buddy. Thanks!
Sponsored