Sponsored

$500 to install bumper???

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Whenever I need something done that I can't do myself, I shop around and get quotes from multiple reputable places. There's always at least one place that tries to charge twice the rate of the others. $500 lol
Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had to install all my own stuff not only save money but for the satisfaction I get every time I look at it. You can do it! :like:

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I went and bought the tools I needed - did the whole front bumper thing myself...

What a disaster...

Cuz I was able to do it easily and learn, so then I bought the rear bumper and did that... and then a winch and did that...

It never ends...

BTW I just meant it was a disaster for my wallet :CWL:

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Do it yourself. Buy tools. You need tools if you own a Jeep. Learn how to use them and be handy at least the basic bolt ons lol.... (wow)

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Check out Tekton tools on Amazon. Way higher quality than the big box stores and HF for less money.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Honestly everyone chanting that $500 is a rip-off doesn't really understand what it takes to keep the lights on at a shop. $125/hour for 4 hours is high but not ridiculous. I wouldn't pay it because I do everything myself but if I had a shop I wouldn't do it for much less.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
Honestly everyone chanting that $500 is a rip-off doesn't really understand what it takes to keep the lights on at a shop. $125/hour for 4 hours is high but not ridiculous. I wouldn't pay it because I do everything myself but if I had a shop I wouldn't do it for much less.
Totally agree. Most people have no clue of the cost of running a business.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I have a Milwaukee 12v ratchet that made the job quick and easy. I just popped the small plastic panel of the top of the bumper and was able to get to the bolts holding the bumper to the frame from up top.

Getting the lights and harness out of the stock bumper is a different story though. Lots of fasteners on that.

wizardfitz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
All the bumper Installs I've watched, doing mine next week, seem to take about 1 hr and are rated at 2 wrenches

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
That's not true, we understand when we're being ripped off. This shouldn't take 4 hours for a professional garage to do on the worst of days. They're asking $500 because either they don't want to do it or are trying to take advantage of the OP. However, if you're willing to pay us $500?!?!?...we'll fit you in. If they charged reasonable rates for some things, they may get more business. My grandfather ran his own garage so I'm not unfamiliar with garages. Also, we have quite a few around here that are efficient and affordable.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
That's not true, we understand when we're being ripped off. This shouldn't take 4 hours for a professional garage to do on the worst of days. They're asking $500 because either they don't want to do it or are trying to take advantage of the OP. However, if you're willing to pay us $500?!?!?...we'll fit you in. If they charged reasonable rates for some things, they may get more business. My grandfather ran his own garage so I'm not unfamiliar with garages. Also, we have quite a few around here that are efficient and affordable.
Exactly! The rip off isn't the rate they are charging but the hours to install they are charging. The garage I use gives a quote at the listed hours but will adjust the final charge based upon the actual hours. Poor shops will have no problem adjusting your bill up for additional hours over the listed hours, so a good shop should also adjust down if using less hours.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Hi, I just purchased a fab four bumper for my JL. I’m missing a couple of the tools to put it on and reached out to a shop for a quote. They said it was going to take them 4 hours and wanted over $500 to install it. Does this sound right or way too high? It is a bolt on bumper and I thought they were pretty quick and simple to get on. Thanks!
I’m not familiar with the bumper... did they give you a quote for a bumper after seeing it or without ? If someone quoted me $500 for that without seeing it —- does not pass sniff test.

OP
OP
elispaulding

elispaulding

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Occupation
Student at University of Utah
UPDATE:
Got the bumper installed and also did Rigid fog lights with amber colored covers. I live in Salt Lake City and am always driving up to ski in the snow so they should work out perfect. Also decided to switch from my 33 stock rubicon wheels to 35s with an Icon wheel.
Thank you everyone for all the help

IMG_2406.JPG

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
UPDATE:
Got the bumper installed and also did Rigid fog lights with amber colored covers. I live in Salt Lake City and am always driving up to ski in the snow so they should work out perfect. Also decided to switch from my 33 stock rubicon wheels to 35s with an Icon wheel.
Thank you everyone for all the help

Jeep Wrangler JL $500 to install bumper??? IMG_2406.JPG
Looks great, congrats!
Sponsored