4xe issues

DeepAK47

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63
I drove Rubicon 4xe 1500+ miles in last two weeks from Washington DC to Dallas. amazing drive on skyline drive, blue ridge pkwy, Smokey mountains. it is absolute pleasure to use 4xe's max regeneration on mountain drive. with max regen on, step off the gas and jeep will loose speed fast just before turns/ blind spots without having to press on breaks.. makes driving very comfortable and safer.

No issues with vehicle at all.. acceleration is amazing.. low cabin noise with mopar, stable driving even when overtaking on higher speed 80, 85 or 90+. Super bright LED headlights got me faster lane clearance at night ;-) typical sedan car's rear view mirror gets flooded with light when you are even at 100+ yards away on highway.

IMG_00031.jpg
Sponsored

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Just found out tonight that the Level 1 charger will NOT work unless it's plugged into a GFCI outlet. Typically not a problem unless you decide to plug in at the old barn built in the 1950s on the farm.
That’s a bummer. Are GFCI outlets common in garages? Mine are standard outlets.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Yeah, usually porches, kitchens, bathrooms and garages are GFI protected. The actual feeder receptacle with the reset button might be inside.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Anyone else get the message for the 4xe recall? Someone posted in another thread about it yesterday but hasn’t updated the thread. Jeep cares responded but I think they took the conversation to PM

Original recall thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4xe-recall.71680/#post-1498309

I had my 4xe for 48 hours when the engine light came on. The car wouldn’t let me into e-save or electric mode only hybrid mode. I had about 45% on the battery and had to make it home. Once the battery got to <1% the Jeep stopped in the middle of the road I was on. Luckily had enough coast to get to a side road. Had my kids in it and all. Good times. It’s been at the dealer since. They can’t find anything wrong, super surprised.

This sounds like it could be your problem... something to keep an eye on at least.

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
... low cabin noise with mopar, stable driving ...
Would you explain this sentence fragment to me? Did you purchase something to reduce cabin noise? I'm very confused as to what this means.

Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Teslas catch on fire. EVs aren't safe. Change is scary. You can't like different things than me. I'm going to spend my time in the EV dedicated subforum making sure you know how upset this makes me.

BTA

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru legacy

Curious about the age of your house, they're a requirement almost anywhere that could be damp or wet (basements, garages, kitchens, bathrooms, ETC.)

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Curious about the age of your house, they're a requirement almost anywhere that could be damp or wet (basements, garages, kitchens, bathrooms, ETC.)
It could also be that the outlets in your garage are standard outlets, but are "downstream" from a GFCI outlet, which, if wired properly, protects all outlets after it. It's also possible to have a GFCI breaker in the panel to protect all outlets on the circuit.

As someone else pointed out though, the charger is not going to know if the outlet is GFCI protected or not. It's more likely a ground issue. I originally tried using the supplied 110V charger with my 4xe, and it was very spotty in my garage outlets. It would work if I shoved the plug to one side, but then stop working (obviously an intermittent ground issue) , and not work at all in other outlets. I bought a level 2 to plug into an existing 220V outlet, so problem solved.

My garage was the original house, built in 1950 with an old "2x4 main and range" panel that someone repurposed as just a junction for the branch line sometime later after the new house was added on in 1958. I don't believe that 3-prong outlets were even required at that point, so I'm a bit surprised the garage outlets even have ground at all.

Last edited:

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hey folks !!! Any issues with 4xe !!
Sponsored