Sign of 4xe Battery issues?

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
Got my 4xe last April. Powertrain in EV mode and hybrid modes were flawless until mid-winter. Whenever I had juice, EV mode was available until 0% and after that, hybrid always functional. Was driving short distances (less than 5 miles) and not plugging in very often once winter started. Noticed that in hybrid mode, engine was not turning off during idle time, let alone during breaking and overrun situations. Being in Boston cold, looked past it. Having owned 3 other full hybrids, still seemed strange. Battery seemed to be functional - gauge would show charging and discharging.

Recently, weather warming up and been able to plug in more often. However, about 2/3 of the time when I start up, with a full charge and temp in 40s and 50s, engine immediately starts and if I try to put into EV mode, display tells me "Electric mode temp unavailable". Even after engine warms up, no change. Engine never shuts off even when idling at stop lights. The few times I've been able to get into EV mode, after a few miles it goes back into Hybrid mode and I get same "Electric mode temp unavailable".

Anyone else run into this?
Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Not a battery problem. It's a problem with the electric heater being locked out, assuming it's saying "Cabin Cooling or Heating" and is continuing to lock you out when it's warm.

Could also be Fuel Oil Refresh Mode.

What is it displaying with "Electric Mode Unavailable"?

OP
OP
alpha1847

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
Not a battery problem. It's a problem with the electric heater being locked out, assuming it's saying "Cabin Cooling or Heating" and is continuing to lock you out when it's warm.

No other warning indicators that I have noticed. I'll try to look harder. I may try to turn climate off and see if same thing happens....

thanks for the insight!

OP
OP
alpha1847

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe

I did notice that an initial message of "engine and oil refresh mode" keeps coming on. Don't recall that before these problems started.

I turned off climate control, but still no change. Engine stays on and battery won't go below 98% in hybrid mode.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
I did notice that an initial message of "engine and oil refresh mode" keeps coming on. Don't recall that before these problems started.

I turned off climate control, but still no change. Engine stays on and battery won't go below 98% in hybrid mode.
You're in FORM

Jeep Wrangler JL Sign of 4xe Battery issues? Screenshot_20220205-081712_OneDrive

Sponsored

OP
OP
alpha1847

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
You're in FORM

Jeep Wrangler JL Sign of 4xe Battery issues? Screenshot_20220205-081712_OneDrive
Thanks - certainly sounds like it. Fuel not old, so must be oil. I am close to oil change. I haven't taken a 20 min drive in weeks, sadly. Think I know what the doctor ordered.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Thanks - certainly sounds like it. Fuel not old, so must be oil. I am close to oil change. I haven't taken a 20 min drive in weeks, sadly. Think I know what the doctor ordered.
Yup, oil change ought to get you cleared right up.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
If you’re bored at the dealership, give this a read:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fuel-and-oil-refresh-mode.71505/

In short, there’s a number of Canadians, Northeasterns, and myself (Mid-Atlantic) who have had issues clearing that “fuel and oil refresh mode”. For some of us, changing the oil either doesn’t work, or only works temporarily - the root issue appears to be engine temperature. Some folks are resorting to the diesel grille cover, just to bring the engine up to temperature.

In my case, the issue resolved itself once outdoor temperatures hit low 60’s. YMMV - I would suggest looking at the experiences and fixes of folks who live in a similar climate as you.
Sponsored