Sponsored

Catastrophic 4xe engine issues? Anybody else?

BluJay

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Sahara
So I was on a decently long road trip this weekend and on my way back, as I was driving on the highway, I heard a very odd popping sound followed by something that sounded like air releasing. I assumed I had popped a tire. So I pulled over, took a look at all my tires and they were fine. I checked around in the engine bay and didn't notice anything out of sorts so I went ahead and started the jeep back up and proceeded on my way. Well, when I tried to accelerate... Uhhh... Not a whole lot happened. The engine and turbo sound was VERY loud inside the cabin when pressing the accelerator and my jeep struggled to even maintain highway speeds, it held gears for a very long time at high RPMS and just overall could barley even accelerate at all even with the pedal floored completely. I managed to limp it home, and called my local Jeep dealership this morning. They told me they can't even look at it until Friday, so I guess I won't be doing much driving for a bit.

Anybody else have any issues like this yet? My 4xe only has 2600 miles on it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BluJay

BluJay

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did u at least open the hood 2 look
I did, but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I inspected the turbo as that's what I was a bit suspicious about but everything seemed fine.

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
any check engine light?????????????? check the rubber boots on the turbo

Sponsored

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Sounds like you blew the turbo hose off of the intake pipe. When the boot pops off it creates a very loud whooshing sound as the turbo spools up. You also see a major drop in power because you no longer have turbo boost coming into the motor. Check the hoses coming off of the turbo and make sure all of the hose clamps and connections are tight. You will probably have to remove the plastic engine cover to see them.

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-1.jpg

OP
OP
BluJay

BluJay

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you blew the turbo hose off of the intake pipe. When the boot pops off it creates a very loud whooshing sound as the turbo spools up. You also see a major drop in power because you no longer have turbo boost coming into the motor. Check the hoses coming off of the turbo and make sure all of the hose clamps and connections are tight. You will probably have to remove the plastic engine cover to see them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Catastrophic 4xe engine issues? Anybody else? 2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-1
SoI looked through that area pretty thoroughly and everything seems to be clamped tight.

5D9281D7-806E-4776-85F0-2A99A19A4892.jpeg

FE7126AC-839E-4BB2-A457-8D1EC0C77DD6.jpeg

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
It could have blown off the intercooler too. It looks like a radiator on the front.

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
There is also a connection point under the cover at the intake manifold. Are you able to hear the air whooshing sounds when you rev it at idle? I have had similar issues with several turbo Diesel engines.

OP
OP
BluJay

BluJay

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is also a connection point under the cover at the intake manifold. Are you able to hear the air whooshing sounds when you rev it at idle? I have had similar issues with several turbo Diesel engines.
Yes, I definitely hear excessive turbo noise inside of the cabin.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
There could be a rupture too or a split near the clamps.

Been a long while since I've popped a turbo.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I was on a decently long road trip this weekend and on my way back, as I was driving on the highway, I heard a very odd popping sound followed by something that sounded like air releasing. I assumed I had popped a tire. So I pulled over, took a look at all my tires and they were fine. I checked around in the engine bay and didn't notice anything out of sorts so I went ahead and started the jeep back up and proceeded on my way. Well, when I tried to accelerate... Uhhh... Not a whole lot happened. The engine and turbo sound was VERY loud inside the cabin when pressing the accelerator and my jeep struggled to even maintain highway speeds, it held gears for a very long time at high RPMS and just overall could barley even accelerate at all even with the pedal floored completely. I managed to limp it home, and called my local Jeep dealership this morning. They told me they can't even look at it until Friday, so I guess I won't be doing much driving for a bit.

Anybody else have any issues like this yet? My 4xe only has 2600 miles on it.
Hey, BluJay. Let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow and if you need extra assistance we can provide that.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
BluJay

BluJay

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ladies and Gentlemen for all that were interested,

Just heard back from the dealership and it looks like my intercooler tube had popped off due to a loose clamp from the factory. Side note, they also told me one of my ball joints was very loose = and was causing popping every time I turned, also due to a loose nut from the factory. Weird!

All in all, problems solved!

Quick note for anyone that has a 4xe as well - I was told that there is 1 open recall, and quite a few "ROTs" (module/software updates) that have come out over the last few months so next time you're at the dealership ask about those if they haven't been addressed.
Sponsored