4xe Check Engine Light Issue (CEL)

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Got to Auto Zone and the light went out. I'll have to test charging again tonight.
I doubt most ODB2 readers would even see the code.

I have Torque Pro and it seems like there is a lack of any Chrysler codes. It would be really cool to read the hybrid data.

All I can pull is the basic engine data, which is mostly all zeroed out.
Sponsored

jrm390

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250
I doubt most ODB2 readers would even see the code.

I have Torque Pro and it seems like there is a lack of any Chrysler codes. It would be really cool to read the hybrid data.

All I can pull is the basic engine data, which is mostly all zeroed out.
Good point.

Pretty sure it was caused by a bad level 2 charger. Went back to the Mopar level 1 and it charges fine.

bikenski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe on order
Didn't want to join this club, but here I am. Less than 24 hours in, and the check engine light already fired.

Took delivery yesterday, with the Jeep fully charged and full of gas. Drove 125 miles, which took the battery to <1% and started to break in the gas engine.

Plugged into my JuiceBox 40 Amp charger after getting home, and the Jeep charged back to 100% in a few hours without issue. Unplugged it when it finished.

Went out today to program the Homelink, and about 10 seconds after putting the Jeep in Run mode, heard a ding and saw the check engine light come on. ARGH!

Popped the hood and pushed down on all the fuses, after reading all the other reports here. Upon restarting, no check engine light. Drove a few miles and still clear, for now...

Really curious to see if the issue returns after charging again. This same charger has charged two other electric cars hundreds of times over the past four years without any issues whatsoever, so I highly doubt it's to blame...

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Didn't want to join this club, but here I am. Less than 24 hours in, and the check engine light already fired.

Took delivery yesterday, with the Jeep fully charged and full of gas. Drove 125 miles, which took the battery to <1% and started to break in the gas engine.

Plugged into my JuiceBox 40 Amp charger after getting home, and the Jeep charged back to 100% in a few hours without issue. Unplugged it when it finished.

Went out today to program the Homelink, and about 10 seconds after putting the Jeep in Run mode, heard a ding and saw the check engine light come on. ARGH!

Popped the hood and pushed down on all the fuses, after reading all the other reports here. Upon restarting, no check engine light. Drove a few miles and still clear, for now...

Really curious to see if the issue returns after charging again. This same charger has charged two other electric cars hundreds of times over the past four years without any issues whatsoever, so I highly doubt it's to blame...
Sorry to hear this happened, bikenski. Although we hope the CEL doesn't come on again, if it does, we would like to assist. Send us a private message if you'd like to discuss.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe

Check the gas cap too.

A bad charger will throw all kinds of warnings, and a CEL, that will make it look like the 4xe has been damaged. Perhaps the computer can't tell what is at fault?

I think the developers on this system got a little too CEL crazy.

Skippy477

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Unfortunately, I have joined this club. 6 weeks in and the CEL came on today at just over 1400 miles. Tried to make service appointment but so far have not heard back from the dealer. Checked the gas cap but no change. I had already read about the loose fuses issues weeks ago and checked them then (indeed several were not seated properly). Tried and OBD2 scan and got code P04EE so far I cannot find any info on that particular code. Hopefully the dealer will call back tomorrow so I can get it looked at. Everything seems to be working just fine and there were no differences in how I charged it prior to the CEL coming in so I have no idea whatā€™s up with it. As others have said, even with everything apparently working okay, itā€™s frustrating to have to deal with a CEL on an expensive brand new vehicle.

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Unfortunately, I have joined this club. 6 weeks in and the CEL came on today at just over 1400 miles. Tried to make service appointment but so far have not heard back from the dealer. Checked the gas cap but no change. I had already read about the loose fuses issues weeks ago and checked them then (indeed several were not seated properly). Tried and OBD2 scan and got code P04EE so far I cannot find any info on that particular code. Hopefully the dealer will call back tomorrow so I can get it looked at. Everything seems to be working just fine and there were no differences in how I charged it prior to the CEL coming in so I have no idea whatā€™s up with it. As others have said, even with everything apparently working okay, itā€™s frustrating to have to deal with a CEL on an expensive brand new vehicle.
Someone reported same code with their 4XE in the FB group and it turned out to be the gas cap. May take few start cycles or some miles before the CEL clears.

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
Could be a leak in the EVAP system. Itā€™s still safe to drive the Jeep until the dealership can correct it.

Bbrad

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Safari 4xe. Bought last Saturday. After dealer cleaned for delivery, back up camera quit working. Yesterday, one week and 54 miles later, CEL comes on. Take to dealer, they have no idea. Code reads two things, a minor and a major leak. For $62k, I expected more. Hope Jeep figures this out quickly.

Sponsored

Irishcoffee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR 4xe
Hi,
About the above metioed code here a TSb from another manufacturers's hibrid:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162068-0001.pdf

To quote from this TSB:
"Issue: Some 2013-2017 C-Max/Fusion/MKZ Hybrid/Energi vehicles may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P1450, P0456, P0457, P04EE and/or P04EF. This may be due to the sealing capability of the canister purge valve. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to update the PCM software and replace the canister purge valve."
(...)
"Service Procedure
1. Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool.
2. Replace the evaporative emission canister purge valve. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-13."
To be clear I am not a Ford fun but plan to order my 4xe here in Europe and as JK Diesel owner since 2009 I try to preempt any "Jeep things" which many here know better especially the "early adopter" .... :)))

.... Sory to hear about these matters in >70k Jeeps :(((

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
So when my CEL came on for good, I brought it in to my dealer even though the car drove completely fine/normal. I believe the writeup mentioned ā€œEvap leakā€ so I figured I would just throw that out there. The dealer did some sort of mild software update with sensor resey and I had the car back in my possession the next day. Been fine ever since.

zfg530

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon U 4xe
2700 miles, CEL this morning. Using level 1 charger from dealer, unplugged and started up Jeep. At startup, appeared to be much louder then usual so i though maybe the garage echo was amplifying it. Pulled out of garage, very loud for 30 second to a minute. Attempted to place into electric mode to "quiet" it down, got the message below. Tried it again a few minutes after while driving, still now allowing me to place in esave or electric. No messages appearing on dash, CEL is present. Contacted dealer, sounds like it will be going in tomorrow and i will be provided a loaner. I knew i should have went diesel... :(
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Check Engine Light Issue (CEL) IMG_5154
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Check Engine Light Issue (CEL) C3FFF857-F9CA-452B-BFFA-1444EB9220E3

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
I know this was mentioned earlier but Iā€™ll just reiterate. The CEL will come on with a number of issues. But, common things are common!!! Make sure your gas cap is on and tightened appropriately...hell, I believe it says right on the gas cap that the CEL will come on if the cap is loose. For anyone whose CEL came on, at least check your gas cap before taking it in! Maybe even open it up and re-tighten.
Sponsored