Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

My wife’s Audi DIDN'T COME WITH A DIPSTICK FROM THE FACTORY. It has a cap on the dipstick tube. You measure / monitor the oil through the CAR menu on the MMI (you CAN purchase a dipstick though, the tube is still there). I’m sure this horrifies most of the folks on this forum!
I read recently purchased a commuter car a 328i BMW to my surprise and 36 years of driving it was the first car with no dipstick I monitor the oil level the same way through the menu on the dash. It might be more accurate to way to see the oil level you must drive several miles well after the engine has warmed up in order to get a reading at all. Those of you not familiar with BMW's as I'm becoming familiar they do burn oil so I'm constantly adding. I wish jeep had this system because it's consistent unlike the varied readings you get on the EcoDiesel depending how long after engine shutdown before you check the dipstick. And because you could do it right from the driver's seat I actually checked mine often, usually while sitting at a red light.
Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Where did @WranglerMan's post go which was between my post and @BDinTX? I read it early in the morning but it disappeared.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
My oil level shows 3/4 on the dipstick after sitting for several days. When operating on the highway, pulling over to fuel up after 5 minutes of shutdown it shows on the low end of the dipstick, but when I arrive to my destination and or home and I wait 30 minutes it shows full. Under "note" in the diesel supplement manual, it states: "It is possible for the oil level to be slightly higher than previous check this would be due to diesel fuel that may temporary be in the crankcase due to operation of the diesel particulate filter regeneration strategy. This fuel will evaporate out under normal operation." All in all I think the best time to check the oil for the most accuracy is before start up after sitting overnight or longer periods. Also noted in the diesel supplement manual is the total capacity from minimum mark to maximum mark is 1 qt. It also states "to add oil only when the level on the dipstick is below minimum mark." I hope this helps, it helped me better understand. My question is at the dealership or if you choose to have your vehicle serviced for oil change how can they check the accuracy of the oil? My thought and hoped would be they know if it shows on the bottom portion of the dipstick within a few minutes I've shut down from. Reading temperature they know they have the correct amount. I always check the next morning before start up to verify. With 26000 miles to date I have never added oil. And I never exceed 7500 between oil changes
And or anything less than 20% oil life showing. I went one step further and dropped the factory oil after 3500. It is also noted in the diesel supplement manual "the engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy-conserving type of lubricant." I do not like the way that read and this oil may have a very low viscosity just to meet or exceed whatever standards big brother had imposed on the manufacturer therefore I didn't want to keep the oil past 3500 miles. That's just me it may not matter but I wanted fresh oil sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the great info.
After adding 1/5th of a quart yesterday, this morning I checked the level on a cold engine and I think my oil level is in an optimum position (at about 3/4 on the dipstick's crosshatched zone).
If I had seen your post earlier, I would not have added the little bit of oil yesterday too but I think my level should suffice now till my first oil change which I am planning to do at 5000 miles +/- 500. Showing 70% oil life at around 3000 miles on the odometer today.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4200 Miles, and zero oil 1644427276902

I am new to diesel but why should there be fuel in the oil during or shortly after regen? I thought fuel is injected in the filter. How does it get in the oil from there? Does it not compromise lubrication?

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I am new to diesel but why should there be fuel in the oil during or shortly after regen? I thought fuel is injected in the filter. How does it get in the oil from there? Does it not compromise lubrication?
During an active regen, the ECU tells the injector to inject during the exhaust stroke to push raw diesel into the DPF. The fuel then ignites due to the heat already in the DPF, further raising the temps to burn off the soot. So, during this injection event, some fuel can get past the rings and into the oil. The transient rise in oil level is due to this fuel, which eventually evaporates off when oil temps are high enough.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
During an active regen, the ECU tells the injector to inject during the exhaust stroke to push raw diesel into the DPF. The fuel then ignites due to the heat already in the DPF, further raising the temps to burn off the soot. So, during this injection event, some fuel can get past the rings and into the oil. The transient rise in oil level is due to this fuel, which eventually evaporates off when oil temps are high enough.
Thanks

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Thanks for the great info.
After adding 1/5th of a quart yesterday, this morning I checked the level on a cold engine and I think my oil level is in an optimum position (at about 3/4 on the dipstick's crosshatched zone).
If I had seen your post earlier, I would not have added the little bit of oil yesterday too but I think my level should suffice now till my first oil change which I am planning to do at 5000 miles +/- 500. Showing 70% oil life at around 3000 miles on the odometer today.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4200 Miles, and zero oil 1644427276902

You got me on that last one no answers just shared what I read in the supplement diesel manual. I would like to know myself though, if you ever find out the answer please share.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
is dealer telling you need a longer dipstick instead of loosing oil? what a BS.
I understand the idea of dip stick only reading the top couple quarts but if you checked 1k miles ago that has oil, and now oil is gone, there must be an explanation.
Sponsored