Sponsored

392 real world MPG

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
Quoting myself here. No need. Just seen the Tazer thread about taking it to 2 wheel drive. That alone should improve a lot for on road MPGs.
I tend to agree and I would love to see someone test this out. My only concern is the extra strain on the rear gear box/axle.
Sponsored

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
So I just crossed 800 miles on the odometer. In mixed (mostly city) driving, I am averaging 14.5 MPG. Did 200 miles on the highway yesterday and averaged 16.5 mpg with speeds ranging from 65 to 80 mph and one 20 minute period of bumper to bumper traffic due to a wreck. I'm thinking 17 to 18 mpg on the highway are feasible in good conditions.

Edit: I should also add that I am running 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the added weight of a Warn Zeon 10S winch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BCMgunner

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 real world MPG E5F7DFA8-C3EF-4081-8339-8607ED7DA434

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 real world MPG 7AEC23D9-FFE5-4915-8BC4-86DC06A7F6F5

My 15 year old cousin welded this for me. Kids talented. Very sturdy. Probably bump up to larger Rotapax. These are only 2 gallons

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I have just picked up m,y 392 Rubi and so far it has been around 11-12 mpg.
My last vehicle was a Ford Raptor 3.6 twin turbo fully loaded and with a 10 speed trans that is shared with GMC and built by Allison. I had the Super Crew Cab and a hardtop bed cover.

The Raptor had a 36 gallon tank and most people don't realize that when you use your credit card at a gas station there is a $100 limit at least here in NJ. I had the truck tuned on a dyno and it was putting down 423 at the rear wheels with 93 octane, and I also had a tune from Gear Heads that allowed for varying octane levels 91-93. Normal driving on the highway I would average 18 plus mpg and around town it was usually 13-14 mpg but I didn't but it for gas mileage, and this was with the stock 315/70/17 BFG KO2`s which are just under 35" and 4:10 gearing. A bill at the pump for $130.00 plus was not uncommon but the RANGE was there and that was great.
You would think that the Raptor that is twice the size and twice the width (not really but) would fair much worse in mpg but it boiled down to how you drove it. Sport mode was nice with the tune because it would break the tires loose when it shifted into second gear.

I quickly looked at the dry weights of the 392 and the Raptor and it looks like the Raptor is just 600 pounds heavier then the 392 Rubi
Before the Raptor I had a 18 Rubicon with the standard V6 no e torque and I was running 35" BFG KO2`s and would average just about 19 mpg bone stock engine, I had to drive it slower due to it wandering all over the road and requiring constant steering correction. Because my Jeep dealer was never able to get it to go straight after 2 new steering box`s and 4 stabilizers and track bars. That is when I went to the Raptor, but now the Raptor is gone along with the boost lag and I am loving the new 392 so far

Last edited:

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
My last vehicle was a Ford Raptor 3.6 twin turbo fully loaded and with a 10 speed trans that is shared with GMC and built by Allison. I had the Super Crew Cab and a hardtop bed cover.

The Raptor had a 36 gallon tank and most people don't realize that when you use your credit card at a gas station there is a $100 limit at least here in NJ. I had the truck tuned on a dyno and it was putting down 423 at the rear wheels with 93 octane, and I also had a tune from Gear Heads that allowed for varying octane levels 91-93. Normal driving on the highway I would average 18 plus mpg and around town it was usually 13-14 mpg but I didn't but it for gas mileage, and this was with the stock 315/70/17 BFG KO2`s which are just under 35" and 4:10 gearing. A bill at the pump for $130.00 plus was not uncommon but the RANGE was there and that was great.
You would think that the Raptor that is twice the size and twice the width (not really but) would fair much worse in mpg but it boiled down to how you drove it. Sport mode was nice with the tune because it would break the tires loose when it shifted into second gear.

I quickly looked at the dry weights of the 392 and the Raptor and it looks like the Raptor is just 600 pounds heavier then the 392 Rubi
Before the Raptor I had a 18 Rubicon with the standard V6 no e torque and I was running 35" BFG KO2`s and would average just about 19 mpg bone stock engine, I had to drive it slower due to it wandering all over the road and requiring constant steering correction. Because my Jeep dealer was never able to get it to go straight after 2 new steering box`s and 4 stabilizers and track bars. That is when I went to the Raptor, but now the Raptor is gone along with the boost lag and I am loving the new 392 so far
I have a feeling your mileage will get better with a few more tanks through it.

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a feeling your mileage will get better with a few more tanks through it.
I know that my mileage would be better if I put a rock behind the gas pedal. Hopefully it will get better but again that's not a concern to me, I just wish there was more fuel capacity. I had a friend install a extra tank in his Raptor but the cost was insane, over $1300 for parts alone

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

If eventually available do you plan to do an aux fuel tank for the 392? I think Long Range America is going to make a 17 galloon add on tank which I will eventually have done.

Also where in NJ are you located? I am in North NJ!

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If eventually available do you plan to do an aux fuel tank for the 392? I think Long Range America is going to make a 17 galloon add on tank which I will eventually have done.

Hello fello NJ Jeeper, I live in central Jersey in the Hillsborough/Manville area. I would definitely consider going with a extra tank as long as they dont want a arm and a leg for it.
Will you be going to the Jeep Invasion in July?

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Hello fello NJ Jeeper, I live in central Jersey in the Hillsborough/Manville area. I would definitely consider going with a extra tank as long as they dont want a arm and a leg for it.
Will you be going to the Jeep Invasion in July?
I am assuming it will be an arm and a leg. lol Still considering it when I get my 392. I would like to attend and take my wifes 21 Willys but with my work schedule I cannot be sure :(

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am assuming it will be an arm and a leg. lol Still considering it when I get my 392. I would like to attend and take my wifes 21 Willys but with my work schedule I cannot be sure :(
I hope that you can make it down to Wildwood, there are over 2300 Jeeps registered to be on the beach and anyone can walk in for free and check out the vendors and mild to wild builds
I found this on the extended range tank,(no mention of 392?
I can't believe something for a Jeep actually cost more then if it was for a Raptor. I just realized the rear compartment bin is half the size of a non 392 Wrangler, due to the exhaust having go there

Sponsored

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I hope that you can make it down to Wildwood, there are over 2300 Jeeps registered to be on the beach and anyone can walk in for free and check out the vendors and mild to wild builds
I found this on the extended range tank,(no mention of 392?
I can't believe something for a Jeep actually cost more then if it was for a Raptor. I just realized the rear compartment bin is half the size of a non 392 Wrangler, due to the exhaust having go there
Yes I actually talked with one of the guys from Long Range America and had a friend on this board that has a 392 take pics of the underside of his Jeep and emailed it to them. He wrote back saying yes their reg kit for the JL def would not fit and there would be modifications then need to make to their kit due to the 392 exhaust.

I just wish Jeep fitted this 392 with at LEAST a 26 gallon tank. I mean even my 5.7 hemi GC has a 25.5 gallon tank. Crazy to think that a 392 has the same size fuel tank as a V6 or 4 cyl version.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes I actually talked with one of the guys from Long Range America and had a friend on this board that has a 392 take pics of the underside of his Jeep and emailed it to them. He wrote back saying yes their reg kit for the JL def would not fit and there would be modifications then need to make to their kit due to the 392 exhaust.

I just wish Jeep fitted this 392 with at LEAST a 26 gallon tank. I mean even my 5.7 hemi GC has a 25.5 gallon tank. Crazy to think that a 392 has the same size fuel tank as a V6 or 4 cyl version.
I agree with you, and funny that my wifes GC Overland Hemi is the same as yours. I thought the one for the Raptor was steep at $1300 for a seperate tank.
This link is for the replacement for the 36 gal tank. Having a 46 gal tank would be nice.
I might have to get one of my old fuel cells and put it in the back for long trips

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116947

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner

What's involved with this? I know they don't have anything out yet but is it an intensive job? Like cutting into things that were not meant to be cut into? What price do you think it will be from a rough estimate standpoint?

I would definitely be interested in this for the camping/overlanding trips.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What's involved with this? I know they don't have anything out yet but is it an intensive job? Like cutting into things that were not meant to be cut into? What price do you think it will be from a rough estimate standpoint?

I would definitely be interested in this for the camping/overlanding trips.
There a few companies that currently offer extended range fuel tanks for Jeeps. I have not seen one available yet for the 392 Rubicon but I have a feeling that there will be quite a few people myself included that would like the extra fuel capacity. The tanks that I have looked at are bolt in units without any cutting required but who knows with the 392??

https://genright.com/products/gas-tanks/jk-2007-present/ Along with several other top shelf Jeep products

https://longrangeamerica.com/vehicle/jeep-3g-wrangler-jl-4-door-3-6-2018-2021/

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
There a few companies that currently offer extended range fuel tanks for Jeeps. I have not seen one available yet for the 392 Rubicon but I have a feeling that there will be quite a few people myself included that would like the extra fuel capacity. The tanks that I have looked at are bolt in units without any cutting required but who knows with the 392??

https://genright.com/products/gas-tanks/jk-2007-present/ Along with several other top shelf Jeep products

https://longrangeamerica.com/vehicle/jeep-3g-wrangler-jl-4-door-3-6-2018-2021/
Being the expensive purchase that it is. I plan to keep this car for a while, maybe forever. Even if I get other cars just because it’ll be the last wrangler with a V8.

Once they announce the extended fuel tanks I’ll take a look at cost but I’m sure I’ll add it eventually.

My new turtle back trailer that will be ready in September is coming built-in with Roto Packs on the spare tire behind the trailer. So I should be good for a bit.
Sponsored