bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bongorayproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 JLUR with the 3.6L and auto trans. I’m finding that if I’m at extreme angles around 35 degrees or more my engine starts knocking really bad and will almost stall even on the gas. Anyone else have this problem or better yet a solution? It’s dangerous on tough obstacles.

Thanks,
Sponsored

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
I know it's likely an obvious question, but how is the level of your oil? Oil pressure? Is there more than 1/4-1/2 a tank of gas?

OP
OP
bongoray

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know it's likely an obvious question, but how is the level of your oil? Oil pressure? Is there more than 1/4-1/2 a tank of gas?
Thanks for the reply. I recently changed the oil and put in whatever the required quantity was (5 qt’s if I remember correctly). I’ll have to check the level now. I have no idea what the pressure was at the time. It was a steep climb. I had at least a 1/2 tank of gas.

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
Which direction were you angles: nose up, tail up, passenger side up, driver side up, odd-ball angle? I wonder if you were just too far from the oil-pickup and it wasn't circulating. Did the noise/knocking go away as soon as the angle was reduced?

OP
OP
bongoray

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which direction were you angles: nose up, tail up, passenger side up, driver side up, odd-ball angle? I wonder if you were just too far from the oil-pickup and it wasn't circulating. Did the noise/knocking go away as soon as the angle was reduced?
Hi. It was nose up at about 38 degrees. I was on a climb on an obstacle for about a minute or so at that angle. I spent a little time warming up the tires then started to climb. As I neared the top in second gear and the engine started knocking loudly and just about stalled. I had to give it extra gas just to get up and over. Once over the Jeep ran normally.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It's kind of a 'known issue' regarding the PCV system. At extreme angles it dumps oil into the intake. I installed a catch can to fix it and it had the side effect of eliminating 90% of my engine pinging around town.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
It's kind of a 'known issue' regarding the PCV system. At extreme angles it dumps oil into the intake. I installed a catch can to fix it and it had the side effect of eliminating 90% of my engine pinging around town.
Catch can seems like a great idea, but just curious what are considered to be "extreme angles" for the 3.6L...and more importantly, if catch can installation might void the powertrain warranty. Although a very mild/benign engine mod, it wouldn't surprise me if FCA refused to cover engine repairs under warranty after discovering the can.
Sponsored