3.6L Engine noise with 15 miles.

fjrrider

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUS
Picked up the Jeep a couple days ago with another new valve cover gasket installed and so far so good!! Chrysler reached out and helped through the process. Currently working on an extended warranty with them hopefully for free. Hopefully this is the end of our pentastar problems!
My B.S. meter is starting to move (not with you, with the dealer).
You said the first delay was because the valve cover gasket was damaged right out of the box.
Then you say the valve cover gasket blew after 1 day?
I'd place my wager on a mechanic failing to tighten down the valve cover or incorrectly installing the gasket before I could fathom a blown valve cover gasket after 1 day.
I'm glad to hear they're trying to make things right with you.
Sponsored

Grizzle32

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU sport s 3.6 manual
My B.S. meter is starting to move (not with you, with the dealer).
You said the first delay was because the valve cover gasket was damaged right out of the box.
Then you say the valve cover gasket blew after 1 day?
I'd place my wager on a mechanic failing to tighten down the valve cover or incorrectly installing the gasket before I could fathom a blown valve cover gasket after 1 day.
I'm glad to hear they're trying to make things right with you.

Yeah I completely agree...

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Hi guys...

Just got a 2019 Sahara, build date May 19.

Its making this loud ticking noise that comes and goes... What could it be or is it normal?

You can clearly hear it in the video.

Thanks!
JC

My motor sounds very similar , I find yours and mine sound more like diesel engines . I pointed it out right away to the salesman and then couple of days later to the mechanic when he was fixing the rear windshield wiper and the answer is always the same. " They all sound like that " . Initially I was worried about it and now couple months later I just think what the heck I'll just drive it and if anything goes wrong the engine is under 5 year warranty. I am not sure I will keep the Jeep that long anyways. I was really hesitating to purchase this vehicle but I thought I will do it at least once in my life. The clutch pedal play at the bottom sucks too and the whole clutch assembly sounds like it is somehow loose when I quickly change the gears in higher rpm. I was just this afternoon merging quickly onto the highway I nicely pushed the third gear and enjoyed the nice response from the engine and then as I geared into the 4th it the whole car kind of jerked. I have driven many manual shift cars and this one just doesn't feel right. Sometimes I wish I just purchased little VW TSI .

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
My motor sounds very similar , I find yours and mine sound more like diesel engines . I pointed it out right away to the salesman and then couple of days later to the mechanic when he was fixing the rear windshield wiper and the answer is always the same. " They all sound like that " . Initially I was worried about it and now couple months later I just think what the heck I'll just drive it and if anything goes wrong the engine is under 5 year warranty. I am not sure I will keep the Jeep that long anyways. I was really hesitating to purchase this vehicle but I thought I will do it at least once in my life. The clutch pedal play at the bottom sucks too and the whole clutch assembly sounds like it is somehow loose when I quickly change the gears in higher rpm. I was just this afternoon merging quickly onto the highway I nicely pushed the third gear and enjoyed the nice response from the engine and then as I geared into the 4th it the whole car kind of jerked. I have driven many manual shift cars and this one just doesn't feel right. Sometimes I wish I just purchased little VW TSI .
I have a 2020 on order. Gave the dealer a $1k deposit. When I hear all this stuff, I sometimes think I should just walk away. We have one Jeep maybe thats enough. Sorry for all the crap you are dealing with.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I have a 2020 on order. Gave the dealer a $1k deposit. When I hear all this stuff, I sometimes think I should just walk away. We have one Jeep maybe thats enough. Sorry for all the crap you are dealing with.
No problems with my 2020 JLRU after 4 weeks and 1350 miles... other than 42 psi tire pressure. Aired down to 32 psi and no wandering on the highway. Engine does run smoother after I did my 1st oil change at 1000 miles and used Amsoil 5W-30 oil.

Hang in there. Not ALL JL's have issues.

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
No problems with my 2020 JLRU after 4 weeks and 1350 miles... other than 42 psi tire pressure. Aired down to 32 psi and no wandering on the highway. Engine does run smoother after I did my 1st oil change at 1000 miles and used Amsoil 5W-30 oil.

Hang in there. Not ALL JL's have issues.
Always great to hear the good reports

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I had a problem with my 2018 JLRU at about 1500 miles. I had taken it easy up to this point. I gave it a more throttle than I’d done before. Suddenly the CEL and start/ stop lights came on and it started running very rough. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a problem with rocker on cylinder 3. My Jeep was in the shop for about 3 weeks waiting for parts. It eventually got fixed and I haven’t had any other problems.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
The Wrangler seems to hold its value well and that was a big plus when I was in doubt about purchasing it. After many more miles I will be able to give better judgment but some of the noises and sounds I hear from this vehicle make me slightly nervous.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Built on May 19th? Well that's the problem, we were on shutdown on May 19th, so management must of got on the line and built it themselves. They can barely manage, I highly doubt they know how to get their hands dirty and actually build a Jeep.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Built on May 19th? Well that's the problem, we were on shutdown on May 19th, so management must of got on the line and built it themselves. They can barely manage, I highly doubt they know how to get their hands dirty and actually build a Jeep.
I used to say things like that until I became “The management”. Eventually there’s no where to go but up in your career. Wouldn’t want to be in my 60’s on the floor in the box saying the same thing making the same wages.. You’ll miss the OT initially but eventually as you move up within management you’ll make more. Not all of your 1st line or even 2nd line supervisors are straight outta college with no knowledge. Hang in there bud and watch what you say.

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I ahte to read threads where folks are having trouble with there Jeeps, and hope it's nothing serious. But like Jerry said, not all have problems. You see the same thing with other brands, and those I know get the same answer, "that's normal." BS answer I know. But, my JL has been great, and has 7500 miles on the odo. Odds are your's will be fine also.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Every time the line supervisor works final test where I work I get a bunch of customer returns, all the test docs have the supervisors name on them! :)

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Hi guys...

Just got a 2019 Sahara, build date May 19.

Its making this loud ticking noise that comes and goes... What could it be or is it normal?

You can clearly hear it in the video.

Thanks!
JC

cam followers or lifters, SAME thing i had on left bank cyl 1, after OBD P2019a, they put new cam , rockers and lifters on intake , can NOT hear squat now, yours will either smooth out, or as in my case start eating the cam...
Sponsored