3.6 with/without E torque

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Thank you, will not be a daily for me but driven about 5 days per week. What is it that is happening? I have heard that on around town drives - not long jaunts that the batter can die/need a recharge. Again I do not have one so this is just what I am reading.
Sponsored

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary
You can take out a hellcat with that smooth off the line e torque take off with the 3.6, other than that I see no advantage over the regular 3.6.
(Salesman told me)

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Ditto. Same reason why I chose the 3.6 over that 2 litre turbo with eTorque last year. Turbo already makes things unreliable and then they strapped a 48VDC BSG on it! I steered away and went to 3.6 without anything additional despite the dealer trying to twist my arm. Sometimes older things are less complicated and hence more reliable plus easier to fix.
but looks like perspective 2021 owners who want an automatic are SOL. Its either 3.6 with eTorque or that new 2 litre Alpha Romeo Turbo Motor. It is too new in the market to know how it is when it comes to reliability and long term ownership. Majority of us Jeepers like things to last long as we fall in love with our rigs and keep them for as long as we could.
Imagine being on the trail dicking around with 48v. Or worse yet a bsg that wont start the engine. Ive changed starters in parking lots with half ass socket sets in 15 minutes... and off i went.id actually prefer the 15’ jk 3.6 with a zf 8 speed honestly. That one has less complicated fuel pump and no cooled egr nonsense. Everything works great when its new yea sure. And hey if you lease its probably just fine. Time will tell but i dont think the 2.0 will last long. Too heavy a truck for such a small displacement. That engine is going to wear out after 120k. But hey maybe im wrong....

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
This topic might've been beat to death already but I haven't found anything searching around.

I'm between a 2020 JLUR with the standard V6 at a dealer currently or ordering a 2021 JLUR which would force me to get the etorque version. Can anyone give some insight on which route to go with? Main benefit to the etorque I've read is smoother ESS which I plan on disabling anyway. Other than that it comes down to normal driving impressions between the two.
The non eTorque 3.6 is what made the JL possible because of its popularity in the JK. The engine is improved from the JL as well.

OP
OP
ArmannB

ArmannB

First Name
Armann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR 3.6
So it seems aside from the long term reliability variable there isn't much insight to how the etorque version drives. Would've thought there are sore new sahara owners that could've chimed in if the etorque makes a difference driving around. At this point since that 2020 is still available I'm going to go that route instead.

Sponsored

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So it seems aside from the long term reliability variable there isn't much insight to how the etorque version drives. Would've thought there are sore new sahara owners that could've chimed in if the etorque makes a difference driving around. At this point since that 2020 is still available I'm going to go that route instead.
That might be your best option. I am in the same boat and was looking for a 2020 V6/8 Spd. The e-torque may just be fine and never have issues, but I don't want to take the chance of being in the boonies and have one more system that might be a problem.

My alternative choice is to order a 2021 with the 2.0 I4 turbo.

SeanR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I have the 2.0L with eTorque and I love it. I've only got 3K miles on it. I rarely keep vehicles longer than the warranty. So, as long as it gets through three years without problems I'm good with it.

It's difficult to tell how much the eTorque is contributing to the driving experience. I read it's only active off the line and then the turbo kicks in. It's quick. But that could be due to the 8-speed transmission which you're going to get on a V6 anyway. I came from a JK with that awful five-speed transmission. Damn, it was criminal putting that thing in a 2017 vehicle. The 2.0L with the 8-speed feels very peppy and the down shifts coming into hills are not nearly as dramatic or as late as they were in the JK. It maintains its speed very well.

On most vehicles I turn off the stop/start as soon as I get in. Not so with the eTorque which is quiet and quick to restart. I use it all the time.

I'm averaging 21 mpg but I'm using 93 octane here in the hot NC summer.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I find all of the adverse conjecture about etorque and the turbo unfounded. Anecdotally there are far more problems reported on this forum about the v6. My son and law and his brother both have JKs with v6....and both have had engine tear downs for valve issues...at 80,000 miles.

In the late 80s I purchased for my employer turbo 4 cylinder cars made by Chrysler for employee use. Engine failure was never an issue. Instead the chassis that would rot out by 160,000 miles, forcing retirement. All the hybrid stuff in the JL is well warranted...and in most hybrid vehicles using this technology have minimal problems.

Once you drive the turbo at altitude, you won’t want a v6.

chaynech1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I love my 2020 JLUR 3.6 with etorque. Start stops are instant and the 8 speed transmission is so smooth its un noticable. I am assuming that the etorque is helping that as I noticed it more on the non bsg motors. At about 300 kms I got a check engine light which is related to that system which is annoying. However it is not effecting the start stop or drivability at all.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
It’s funny when people with brand new vehicles under warranty say” I love it I have no problems. “Duh. Let’s revisit this after 6-8 years in the rust belt. Three cooling systems lots of electrical. 48 V battery. Generator. And FCA quality. Yep what could go wrong. Sounds fool proof to me.

Reactions: D60

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Luckily I can also fix most of my own shit, and prefer it that way. It's no different than any other system on a vehicle. Is it another one..? Yes. Cars are so complicated these days, I will take the performance benefit short term of a long term headache that may or may not happen. Change can be a scary thing for some people. It isn't sophisticated. It is a motor that his hooked up to a battery. A coolant system that is hooked up to a pump. What is complicated about it? As a matter of fact, it is probably the least complicated aspect of the drive train. The rest of it is just code.
31,000 miles on it so far, and not a hiccup. 37" tires and still get 19+ mpg highway and 17 mpg mixed.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
So that is what I am debating a 2020 Rubicon Recon or ordering a 2021 without the eTorque. I have heard of some battery issues with the non eTorque - but again I do not own own one and cannot verify.
I know someone who works at FCA. 40% of all warranty issues are battery and charging related. ESS and the batteries are a weak link. The ESS charging system and batteries are more likely to leave you stranded then eTorque. That smaller ESS battery is responsible for many stranded vehicles. Bad ESS batteries can cause all kinds of fault light and problems that are seemingly not related to the ESS system. Many have posted about this on this forum. FCA needs to update something with ESS.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-bad-aux-battery-no-start-firmware-fix.53608/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/aux-battery-issue.55555/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-ibs-information.22585/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/solved-aux-battery-issue-on-the-road-need-help.54097/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...starting-of-jeep-jl-wrangler-batteries.42691/

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Etorquewill be wayyy more expensive/complicated to repair.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. What do you think is more likely to leave you stranded? ESS battery and charging system or eTorque?

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '04 Mazda3, '13 Sienna (because kids)
No battery problems here as I put a battery tender on when sitting in my garage.
What battery tender do you use?

My 2020 JLUR is also not a daily driver, and 10 months into owning it both batteries failed and had to be replaced (I have the 3.6 without etorque). Mine was a custom order, so it was not sitting on the lot for any amount of time. That episode has made me consider battery tenders but I am only at the beginning of my research.
Sponsored