3.6 vs 2.0

CUOFFRD

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Drove both and bought the 3.6. The 2.0 does have more torque down low but felt like it falls off up top.

Just curious why the 2.0 isn’t available in the Gladiator if it’s so good?
Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I didn’t drive a Wrangler with the 3.6 but did have a 15 GC with it. It left me wanting more but it was ok.

Having always been a sports/muscle car person, I was already sold on the 2.0 Wrangler that I also happened to have in my 18 Giulia. Not having the 15 Challenger 392 anymore, I want a balanced engine. Imo, the 2.0 in the Giulia made me feel like it was less of a compromise with the thrust from the torque the turbo gives the 2.0.

Reliability of the 2.0 seems on par with similar engines the world if not better. Multiair engines have been around since 2010 starting in Fiat. The newer Global Medium Engine (GME) 2.0 is currently in the 16+ Giulia, 17+ Stelvio, 18(?)+ Cherokee, & 18+ Chinese Jeep Grand Commander. The highest mileage Giulia I’ve heard of stateside so far is over 55k. For whatever reason, the 2.0 in the Giulia sounds great for a 4cyl. The Wrangler (and using premium) does make a little racket at WOT only.

The E torque experience for us so far is great. The start stop is so much better than the start stop in the Giulia due to the belt driving/starting generator under the hood. It’s very very quick and smoooth in comparison so I actually don’t hate it in my Wrangler. The Giulia will eventually be getting the auto start/stop defeat device where it stays how you set it instead of defaulting back to being on upon restart.

As mentioned, if you get bored with the stock power, Burger’s JB4 tuning piggyback with OBD feedback can fix that too, significantly and unmistakably. You may not NEED the extra power but if it is reliable, then I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My only tentative concern is power=heat so I want to see if the heat is kept in check by the stock cooling system while tuned and in a hot environment at low speeds. In normal usage, no concerns.

Just my .02.

Canyonero JL

First Name
Krusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL Unlimited
Are you trying to start a riot with a question like that?!

Seriously though, the 2.0 will recommend premium fuel with or without e-torque. You don't have to run premium.

The power characteristics of the two motors are an important difference:
chart.png
If you care about HP
Are you trying to start a riot with a question like that?!

Seriously though, the 2.0 will recommend premium fuel with or without e-torque. You don't have to run premium.

The power characteristics of the two motors are an important difference:
chart.png
As a former engineer, I love the chart. Can’t argue with the numbers. I owned a 2017 JK 3.6L and now own a 2.0L JL. I see a noticeable increase in torque with the 2.0L, although I understand it’s an apples /oranges comparison, as the JK and JL are on different platforms (eg, different transmissions, etc.). Some folks have had issues with the 2.0 L at altitude, but that hasn’t been my experience (Moab and Ouray). I think the 2.0 L is markedly better, in my humble opinion.

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have owned 3 JKs with the 3.6 and it's a great engine for a Jeep. However, I find the '20 Turbo to actually be the quieter engine in a Sport version without the hood blanket and I have also become kind of a boost junkie. :)

Sponsored

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I would have never guessed that I'would buy a turbo; I've always kind of thought of them as for "Tokyo Drift" cars, but I've owned the 3.6 and found it to be "meh." My wife and I both drove the 2.0 and both walked away astonished at the engine- I only drove it out of curiosity, but now that I've owned it, driven it on trails and highways- the 3.6 is a dog- 2.0 is much better! Still can't believe I like a turbo.

Canyonero JL

First Name
Krusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drove both and bought the 3.6. The 2.0 does have more torque down low but felt like it falls off up top.

Just curious why the 2.0 isn’t available in the Gladiator if it’s so good?
Good question. The 3.6 L is better designed for towing at high speeds, which makes it less prone to overheating. If you plan on highway towing with your Jeep, I’d go with the 3.6L.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
The higher geared you are the more the 2.0 shines. Such as 3.45 with 35s.
If your gonna go 4.88s on 35s the 3.6 seems to pull out better.
Depends on objective.

Canyonero JL

First Name
Krusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have never guessed that I'would buy a turbo; I've always kind of thought of them as for "Tokyo Drift" cars, but I've owned the 3.6 and found it to be "meh." My wife and I both drove the 2.0 and both walked away astonished at the engine- I only drove it out of curiosity, but now that I've owned it, driven it on trails and highways- the 3.6 is a dog- 2.0 is much better! Still can't believe I like a turbo.
The 2.0 L is great. I don’t see any turbo lag. I’ve driven turbos (Renault Fuego) that had noticeable lag (turbo wouldn’t wind up until 3000 rpm), but I think the turbo on the 2.0 L is providing boost at engine idle. Boost = More air = burn more fuel= more HP in smaller combustion chambers.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
The 2.0 L is great. I don’t see any turbo lag. I’ve driven turbos (Renault Fuego) that had noticeable lag (turbo wouldn’t wind up until 3000 rpm), but I think the turbo on the 2.0 L is providing boost at engine idle. Boost = More air = burn more fuel= more HP in smaller combustion chambers.
Glad you are happy with it!

Every time I read “I don’t see any turbo lag” it does not translate to what I experience. So no more turbos for me!

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
I really like the way the turbo drives. I rented one and it had lots of torque and good mileage. I plan to keep my jeep for a long time, so I went for the six because a turbo engine could have more issues later and a higher cost to repair. If there were a bunch of turbos with high miles and a proven track record, I would bought one. I've had several friends have different makes of turbo engines and each one didn't make it as far as a naturally aspirated version. So, I went the safer route in my mind.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Good question. The 3.6 L is better designed for towing at high speeds, which makes it less prone to overheating. If you plan on highway towing with your Jeep, I’d go with the 3.6L.
Ok, I'll bite.

Just how is the 3.6L better designed for towing at high speeds than the 2.0?