3.6 l Engine Oil Type

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Has anyone tried Liquimoly brand oil in the V6? I run it in my Audi and my engine seems to run better with it over Mobil 1. Both carry the Correct VW spec so both will work. M1 is 0W40 and LM is 5W40 for the VW spec. Every brand that meets that spec is 5 or 0W40.

For the Jeep it looks like we need MS-6395 spec which the Liquimoly 2208 0W-20 Special Tec AA meets. There is another version that meets the spec and is 5W-20 oil as well. It’s a bit more expensive than others that meet the spec.

Another question. Why the change from 5w to 0w weight roughly at the change from JK to JL? Fuel economy requirements?
Sponsored

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
thanks for the engine info. I am a wrangler noob and still learning the differences
The pentastar got a big overhaul, the new PUG motor went into the JL models and the engine was specifically designed around 0w20. No matter where you are in the world, it calls for 0w20.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Back to just resetting the monitor without actually changing the oil. Years ago, I worked with a guy who insisted that oil didn't need to be changed and only the oil filter needed replacement on regular intervals. He claimed changing oil every 3000 miles was a scam and the oil didn't degrade. So there is one real life example. And this guy was a pretty sharp dude.
Todays oils can go far beyond 3 months and 3000 miles, as long as you are not towing a heavy trailer, or something like that. Synthetics can easily go 6,000 to 10,000 miles per oil change. But it is a good idea to change oil regularly. It is comparably cheap to replacing an engine. I change every 6 miles for normal driving.

Sponsored

SparkyIBEW

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited XR Rubicon
Good up to 10,000 miles you say? I'm not going to take the time to search where and whom posted a convincing analysis that Synthetic oil is "belly up" by 7000 miles. It might have been in this thread.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Good up to 10,000 miles you say? I'm not going to take the time to search where and whom posted a convincing analysis that Synthetic oil is "belly up" by 7000 miles. It might have been in this thread.
I have UOA'ed every fluid change in my JLUR and can say that for the 3.6L, I chose 5K OCIs because the TBN (total base number--which measures an oil's ability to neutralize acids) is typically in the 2.x range at 5K miles, though I recently switched to Valvoline Extended Protection, its TBN was in the 3.x range.

While TBN depletion is not linear, neither Rotella or Valvoline would make 10K and likely not 7K without being depleted. You would need to look into a longer drain oil such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Castrol Edge Extended Performance, or the like for a 10K OCI. You would need an oil that starts with a fairly high TBN (10 or better) to "blindly" run to 10K, but I would still want to know what the TBN measured after 10K to know how much cushion I had.

UOa7Ia.png

Last edited:

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
I have UOA'ed every fluid change in my JLUR and can say that for the 3.6L, I chose 5K OCIs because the TBN (total base number--which measures an oil's ability to neutralize acids) is typically in the 2.x range at 5K miles, though I recently switched to Valvoline Extended Protection, its TBN was in the 3.x range.

While TBN depletion is not linear, neither Rotella or Valvoline would make 10K and likely not 7K without being depleted. You would need to look into a longer drain oil such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Castrol Edge Extended Performance, or the like for a 10K OCI. You would need an oil that starts with a fairly high TBN (10 or better) to "blindly" run to 10K, but I would still want to know what the TBN measured after 10K to know how much cushion I had.
Pennzoil platinum or ultra does not advertise as an extended drain oil

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pennzoil platinum or ultra does not advertise as an extended drain oil
Yeah, I know, but Ultra Platinum's TBN is above 10 (or was the last time I checked) so labeled or not, it would make a 10K OCI.

Last edited:

Sponsored

waypoint

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited; 2017 Sport-S Unlimited
Terrific series data, I'm wondering about the spike in Iron on #14 with Valvoline EP. I run this in 0W-20 form on both my JLU (20K miles on odo) and Toyota RAV4, haven't pulled an oil sample for analysis but now I'm thinking I should.

Did your usage conditions change during that May-July interval to account for the nearly 3x iron?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I've run full synthetic 0w20 in various 4 and 6 cylinder motors since 2002 in Texas weather. This included my kids cars and they're all grown now. Never had a problem and two of them have kept some of the earlier cars which now have almost 200k miles each. I've got a jug of Pennzoil Platinum ready for the JLU.
yep full synthetic 5w 20 changed every 5k miles in my 2013 3.6 and just went over 220K and still does not use a drop. Use it in my wifes as well 0-20 that is every 5K. Small price to pay when you do it yourself. Happy motor.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Terrific series data, I'm wondering about the spike in Iron on #14 with Valvoline EP. I run this in 0W-20 form on both my JLU (20K miles on odo) and Toyota RAV4, haven't pulled an oil sample for analysis but now I'm thinking I should.

Did your usage conditions change during that May-July interval to account for the nearly 3x iron?
The same thing happened on the second UOA of Rotella Gas Truck and I attribute it to the change in additive packs between the different oils. Since it returned to "normal" on the third and thereafter, it was nothing of concern.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
It seems I've seen some reference to using 5w-30 instead of 0w-20 (which the mfg calls for), in these latest PUG 3.6L's.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these engines utilize oil pressure in the actuation of the VVT or VVL systems?
And if so, would using an oil viscosity other than what the mfg calls for, impact the function of these systems?

Maybe I'm wrong on the use of oil pressure in the operation of these engine systems.

I remember my Ram 5.7 Hemi was sensitive to oil viscosity for the MDS (multiple displacement system).

Thoughts? 🤔
Thanks!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It seems I've seen some reference to using 5w-30 instead of 0w-20 (which the mfg calls for), in these latest PUG 3.6L's.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these engines utilize oil pressure in the actuation of the VVT or VVL systems?
And if so, would using an oil viscosity other than what the mfg calls for, impact the function of these systems?

Maybe I'm wrong on the use of oil pressure in the operation of these engine systems.

I remember my Ram 5.7 Hemi was sensitive to oil viscosity for the MDS (multiple displacement system).

Thoughts? 🤔
Thanks!
Looking in my 18 service manual, I found the variable valve lift description, but couldn't find anything on variable valve timing, although there are cam phasers that seem to provide variable timing. I don't know if I just can't locate it or they omitted it. But it sure looks like variable timing is incorporated as well as variable lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 l Engine Oil Type vari valve lift
Sponsored