3.0 MODS - Show em off

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Got Method MR313 and 315/70/17 KO2s installed. Sorry for the poor pic; I’ve yet to take a decent pic of it outside but will do so soon.

Am very pleased with the road manners thus far. I only have 470 miles on the Jeep with about half of those on these wheels/tires. I have a Tazer mini and have adjusted tire size data to where indicated speed agrees with gps.

A question for those who have more miles on their Ecodiesel Wrangler: Have you noticed any improvement (with more miles driven) in the load that can be applied before the transmission downshifts from 8th to 7th gear? With these 315/70 tires, a slight headwind combined with a slight incline is enough to make it drop to 7th when traveling 60mph. It’s certainly not terrible, but would be nice if it loaded the engine a little more before requiring a downshift. I thought perhaps the firmware had a built-in break-in mode or something.

My only point of comparison is a tuned 2014 Ram Eco. It runs very similar rpm @ 60, and will remain in top gear more-so than the Jeep. The gen3 is advertised to make more torque at a lower rpm than the gen2, so I was thinking it would hold 8th at least as well. Guessing this behavior is driven by emission requirements?

Update on the 8-7 downshift: Since I first posted the above discussion about the Jeep downshifting with light engine load, it hasn’t done that nearly as much on the 3 drives I’ve made since. My Ram Eco, during regens, does alter its shifting behavior a bit; its more hesitant to upshift while that’s going on. It does make me wonder if the Jeep was in regen when it downshifted from 8th more easily. I hadn’t noticed a drop in instantaneous mpg that I didn’t think the light headwind accounted for, and I didn’t smell anything extra “hot” when I got home that day. So I’m not sure.

Like the rest of you diesel owners already know, this thing is so satisfying to drive. I don’t think you could be in a bad mood while driving it!

View attachment 310215

I finally took some pics in the sun:

97741669-297D-4A8C-A4EA-64657CC9B695.jpeg

8FCC20CB-D0F6-4A9A-B684-7CA2CAC0F65B.jpeg

A360E971-A399-4A9B-A55E-A6FFA7EB7579.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
How does very back look? Could muffler and def be moved for a genright tank?
That's the most logical place, it might work if Genright makes an aux tank for the gas versions... on a side note, there are a few differences in the rear. for example, the rear track bar is the same as the gas version bend and all, even though the unbent part passes by the exhaust. I'm working on an aluminum adjustable Trackbar now. I'm fairly certain most of us can use a straight trackbar. The owner of an offroad company told me there are differences in clearances from diesel JL to diesel JL, so they are not all the same. Apparently this came up when making a diesel specific rear Trackbar.

upload_2020-4-21_21-20-56.jpeg

upload_2020-4-21_21-21-9.jpeg

upload_2020-4-21_21-21-35.jpeg

The bend you see (driver side), is to clear the exhaust on the gas JL, which is on the other side (passenger side) of the diesel.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
That's the most logical place, it might work if Genright makes an aux tank for the gas versions... on a side note, there are a few differences in the rear. for example, the rear track bar is the same as the gas version bend and all, even though the unbent part passes by the exhaust. I'm working on an aluminum adjustable Trackbar now. I'm fairly certain most of us can use a straight trackbar. The owner of an offroad company told me there are differences in clearances from diesel JL to diesel JL, so they are not all the same. Apparently this came up when making a diesel specific rear Trackbar.

upload_2020-4-21_21-20-56.jpeg

upload_2020-4-21_21-21-9.jpeg

upload_2020-4-21_21-21-35.jpeg

The bend you see (driver side), is to clear the exhaust on the gas JL, which is on the other side (passenger side) of the diesel.
Based on the other pics it looks like you could delete the factory muffler and put a smaller one immediately after the dpf/scr with a turn down on it. I can’t imagine it making it much louder with the filters and turbo already doing a lot to muffle the sound. I wander if that would allow a 10 gallon custom AUX tank to fit beside the def tank? On a side note what is it the prevents the 21 gallon tank from the gas engines being used?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Based on the other pics it looks like you could delete the factory muffler and put a smaller one immediately after the dpf/scr with a turn down on it. I can’t imagine it making it much louder with the filters and turbo already doing a lot to muffle the sound. I wander if that would allow a 10 gallon custom AUX tank to fit beside the def tank? On a side note what is it the prevents the 21 gallon tank from the gas engines being used?
Likely the fuel filter/water separator that sits in front of the fuel tank.

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I took the muffler off just to see how it sounded, made no difference at all to my ears. I was thinking a downturn just to give a better departure angle but with that DEF tank still there it wouldn't make much difference so I put it back on.

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Likely the fuel filter/water separator that sits in front of the fuel tank.
I did some investigation and think I answered my own question. Based on the pics here and others on the web, it appears the fuel tank is on the opposite side (driver) compared to the gas version (passenger). Since the tank now sits behind the transfer case it has less room on the forward end requiring the use of a smaller tank.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took the muffler off just to see how it sounded, made no difference at all to my ears. I was thinking a downturn just to give a better departure angle but with that DEF tank still there it wouldn't make much difference so I put it back on.
The DPF acts as the muffler...won’t sound much different until it’s gone.

Sponsored

Gman53

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Land Rover Defender X
I installed the Tazer mini no problem last night. I have only adjusted the tire pressure so far, but today after a short drive I noticed the cooling fan at a higher rev & a smell of a heated engine that I have not noticed before. I Checked afterwards and made sure I had not changed any other settings and none were changed.

I’m not sure if anyone else has run into this with the diesel or not, so I’m looking for a reason for the elevated cooling fan rev/noise.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
I installed the Tazer mini no problem last night. I have only adjusted the tire pressure so far, but today after a short drive I noticed the cooling fan at a higher rev & a smell of a heated engine that I have not noticed before. I Checked afterwards and made sure I had not changed any other settings and none were changed.

I’m not sure if anyone else has run into this with the diesel or not, so I’m looking for a reason for the elevated cooling fan rev/noise.

Regen?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I’ve had no such experience with my Tazer on the 3.0.

Gman53

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Land Rover Defender X
Thanks, it could have very well been a regen and was just coincidental to the install of the Tazer.

However, my 15 Ram Ecodiesel would always advise me in the Evic display that a regen was occurring and to keep driving until finished (approx 15-20 min). I don’t remember seeing anything like that on the Wrangler Evic display.

Ruri

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD, Gen 2 Raptor, 997.1 Turbo, F90 Competition
Occupation
Not FDIC
Hi did everyone that purchased a taser buy a diesel specific version?

I was going to purchase from River City Off-road because they have coupons and no tax, but they said all versions are they same and they don’t have the 3.0 diesel version in their drop down.

doesn’t make sense to have engine specific buying options only to have the modules all the same right?

I’ve had no such experience with my Tazer on the 3.0.
Sponsored