Sponsored

$20K markup!!!?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Fair point. I didn’t know about being able to finance 125% of the vehicle price. That’s insane. I can’t even stomach financing 100% of a vehicle price.
I agree. I used to finance everything. Now financing a depreciating asset gives me the cold sweats. I still have a mortgage, unfortunately, but I pay cash for vehicles and other stuff. Having better/more stuff isn’t worth the payment anxiety (for me).
Sponsored

wingnut60

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Last Sept, was shopping to upgrade my 20 Sahara that I bought used in Phoenix in Jan 20. Found a 21 Sahara HA in Snazzyberry with everything the 20 didn’t have—at Parks Motors. Got it for 1% under invoice with TreadLightly discount. They gave me 2k more in trade than I paid for the 20. Rest of story—watched their used inventory until it showed up for sale. It had 17k miles. They listed it at “$66k” with immediate discount to $61k. I watched it for the next 4+ months, it dropped another 5k in price. My 20 was bone stock, they added a lift and bigger wheels/tires. Took them awhile, but it sold, don’t know the final price. I got the deal that I liked on the exact Jeep I had looked for over a month—but no way would I have paid what they were asking. The market is crazy. But wife loves the HA…and I feel I got a decent purchase/trade.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
You might not think so. However, when I went to order my Wrangler last October there was a decked out Rubicon in the lobby with a sticker price of about 87K. Then there was another line that said "market adjustment" and it was for an additional 25K. Ridiculous, right? It sold less than two weeks after I ordered mine.
Doesn’t mean that it sold for that price.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I agree. I used to finance everything. Now financing a depreciating asset gives me the cold sweats. I still have a mortgage, unfortunately, but I pay cash for vehicles and other stuff. Having better/more stuff isn’t worth the payment anxiety (for me).
You shouldn’t have payment anxiety if you have cash to pay for cars outright. The only added cost is the interest rate. Jeeps hold value so well I’d have no problem financing with 0% down. My Jeep has value much better than my stocks have.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

When i was shopping for my wrangler i went to look at a JK sport that was listed at $30k. Got there and theyre like, oh it has a lift, big tires etc and the price is actually $70k

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I mean this country values profit over everything else... is it really a surprise some places will take you for as much as they can? It hurts nothing to ask for it.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
You shouldn’t have payment anxiety if you have cash to pay for cars outright. The only added cost is the interest rate. Jeeps hold value so well I’d have no problem financing with 0% down. My Jeep has value much better than my stocks have.
Jeeps have held their value well over the last few years, but this has been a very, very strange time...

Our 2019 Tiffin motorhome, which we bought in the spring of 2019, has actually appreciated -- truly appreciated, as in the dealer asked if we'd be willing to sell it back to them for a significant profit. (Sell, not trade). That's crazy. We also sold a 16 year old aluminum jet boat for more than we paid for it. Also crazy. RVs and boats are normally among the fastest depreciating assets you can buy. In forty years I have never seen RVs or late-model boats of any kind appreciate. Never. And in 42 of the 45 years I have been buying Jeeps they have depreciated normally/steeply. From about 1985 forward Jeeps also depreciated faster than most Subarus, Hondas, and Toyotas.

I wouldn't count on your Jeep holding it's most of it's present value.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it's a small number that are snotty and dishonest, I wouldn't say a majority of them are but I'd venture to guess at least 20% operate in this manner (or have some employees that do). It only takes one horrible salesperson to give a dealer a black eye, and word of mouth (and internet) travels fast.
I do not trust anybody who makes more money selling something, by charging me more money. There is nothing I trust less than car dealers...

Deleted member 59498

Every jeep I have ever owned never dropped steeply. In fact they and 4Runners held more value than all other SUVs for a long time now. The two generally rank #1 and #2 for holding value over 5 years even before the current car pricing.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Nothing like overpaying for a depreciating asset.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I do not trust anybody who makes more money selling something, by charging me more money. There is nothing I trust less than car dealers...
How about mattress salesmen??
Sponsored