Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not these days: 125% MSRP is common.

People don't get wealthy by paying markups or by being fiscally foolish/wasteful. The typical millionaire in the US is frugal--especially with cars. (cf. the book, The Millionaire Next Door).

I'd wager it's the middle class who don't do due diligence and purchases based on "monthly payment" rather than the actual price. There are reasons dealers try to only talk about the monthly payment.

There's also a niche market where these are business purchases: automotive YouTubers will pay extra to be first because that's their business and being first matters greatly (the Bronco being a big one here).

So there's this:
Fair point. I didnā€™t know about being able to finance 125% of the vehicle price. Thatā€™s insane. I canā€™t even stomach financing 100% of a vehicle price.

Either way, itā€™s probably safe to say we are both right to some degree.
Sponsored

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I bought mine in April of last year, must had been the right time also, gave me almost what I had paid for a GC Overland that I had bought used a year and a half earlier and had a dealer discount of $5310. that paid for the diesel engine that was $4500 extra, was going to order one but this Rubicon had everything I wanted except the steel bumpers and those are easy to replace.

SmokinV10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, Tesla Plaid, McLaren 720s, R8, Ram 1500

SmokinV10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, Tesla Plaid, McLaren 720s, R8, Ram 1500
Fair point. I didnā€™t know about being able to finance 125% of the vehicle price. Thatā€™s insane. I canā€™t even stomach financing 100% of a vehicle price.

Either way, itā€™s probably safe to say we are both right to some degree.
financing significantly over msrp is fairly common (not saying itā€™s a good idea) practice for those with fantastic ā€œcar creditā€ or 780+ scores.

Sponsored

LDS

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S. 2 dr
Not sure whatā€™s been added to that Jeep, but I bought a JL sport 3 weeks ago from Parks below MSRP!

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JL
1651285404651.png

Parks Motors in Augusta Kansas. Loaded Sahara. How do they get away with this ?
Yeah, not only some Jeep dealers are/have done this, but Ford on the new Bronco. There is always someone else cheaper, and I just told them no and I'd travel 200 miles just to not pay the ADM. They folded, of course. It sure doesn't make them reputable to just say "heh, why not just pay us more for the convenience of buying here"! None of us were born yesterday or have money like that to give away to a dealer.

scott.roams

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Researching...
I have nothing substantial to add, but if any of you are in the Jeep social media groups - 1 out of 10 posts are a photo of a window sticker on a Jeep sitting on a local lot with a huge price tag. šŸ¤·šŸ» I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's obvious SOMEONE is paying the price... or would they really waste their time and lot space on a vehicle that would never move? šŸ¤”

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
The more that I think about 20+ k over. I would just opt for something else at the point. I can get a Lexus for under msrp or a BMW M4 Competition at cost. I love my Jeep, but I love it for what I paid for itā€¦well under 50k, out the door With a tossed in 75k warranty.

Getting a Bronco at 20k above is idiotic as well.

Last edited:

thusske

First Name
Tylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport S, 2014 Grand Cherokee
In the Seattle area a few places do $3-5k markups but those are starting to settle down now. I purchased out of state w/no markup because I couldn't find what I wanted and the dealerships around here are pretty worthless at customer service and helping track down what you want.

Sponsored

SHO jeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO,
Yeah, not only some Jeep dealers are/have done this, but Ford on the new Bronco. There is always someone else cheaper, and I just told them no and I'd travel 200 miles just to not pay the ADM. They folded, of course. It sure doesn't make them reputable to just say "heh, why not just pay us more for the convenience of buying here"! None of us were born yesterday or have money like that to give away to a dealer.
Agree. Paid $84k OTD for my 392 which stickered for $86k and change after the January price increase. (Ordered in Oct '21) Used the 'Tread Lightly' discount. My Ford dealer called to say I could order a Bronco Raptor on his last allotment, but it would be $30k over MSRP. Too bad, I would have loved to have one of each, but I think it's foolish to get gouged like that. Love my Jeep, and the dealer, Lakeland, that ordered it for me.
SHOJEEP

spinxt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
Manufactures should not allow this behavior. Obviously consumers cannot be trusted to prevent this, because one dumba$$ will pay it. The traditional dealer model is outdated and needs revamped totally. Buying a new car shouldnā€™t be a stressful experience, but because of a small number of snotty, dishonest dealers it has become just that.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
This is absolutely true. However, another thing that is true in these days of widening gaps in wealth distribution there are some people for whom this isn't even worth thinking about. Just get it because they want it.
This is it.

For me, $25,000 is a LOT of money. But there are millions of Americans who have many, many times my net worth. For them, spending an extra $25,000 may feel like spending $500 or less feels to me.

I love boats, as I have since I was a kid. Restoring, small, high-quality saltwater boats (20ā€˜ to 30ā€™) was a hobby of mine for years. I have a good sense of what they cost to buy and maintain, and Iā€™m blown away by the boat wealth I see every time I fly into Miami, Seattle, Portland, SanFrancisco, Los Angeles, etc. I see center console fishing boats with 4 outboards hung on the transom at a cost of over $70,000 EACH.

Million dollar boats are as thick as fleas, and $3 million boats are pretty common too.

A friend of ours is an American success story. Heā€™s a super kind, humble guy who worked his ass off and made millions in the timber industry. He bought one of those 80ā€™ boats. It was about fifteen years old when he bought it for $750,000 four years ago. (Thatā€™s about a third of what the boat cost new). He then spent another $500,000 replacing the six CAT diesels, doing a major refit, and replacing all the boats interior and electronics. It looks like new now, and thatā€™s where he lives when heā€™s in Florida. I was curious, and weā€™re close friends, so I asked about his costsā€¦ His moorage fees are about $3000 per month. Insurance is another $2500 per month (He gets a reduced rate, because the boat is pulled, cleaned, wrapped, and secured to the ground in advance of hurricane season every year.) The boat holds 3,000 gallons of diesel, so it costs almost $20,000 to fill it Up. Before he even fires it up, or pays the skipper or the folks who help clean it, or the endless subscriptions and maintenance fees, heā€™s in it ā€œonlyā€ about $7000 per month. (It helps that he doesnā€˜t finance anything, but with the part-time skipper and other costs itā€™s more like $17,000 to $20,000 per month, as long as heā€™s not traveling much. The time is also running on all the big ticket items, as everything ages very quickly in a salt water environment. Six and eight thousand dollar repair bills are common.

I use the above cost profile as a medium-level benchmark, as I take inventory flying into LAX, SEA, or MIA. Many, many boats in those ports dwarf the one described above, and there are thousands just one size class down. (The boats folks are buying new for $750,000 to $1.5 million. For these folks, and their counterparts who fill hangers and bus barns all over the country with million dollar aircraft and RVs, writing a $100,000 for a Jeep is probably no big deal). I canā€™t wrap my brain around it, but if youā€™re worth $250 million, and youā€™re making just 5% on your money, youā€™re making about $35,000 per day, seven days per week...

if I really, really wanted something, and I was told I could have it if I overpaid $100, Iā€˜d probably do it, and I don't think my choice would be ā€œstupidā€. For these high rollers, $100,000 just isnā€™t that much money.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Manufactures should not allow this behavior. Obviously consumers cannot be trusted to prevent this, because one dumba$$ will pay it. The traditional dealer model is outdated and needs revamped totally. Buying a new car shouldnā€™t be a stressful experience, but because of a small number of snotty, dishonest dealers it has become just that.
I don't think it's a small number that are snotty and dishonest, I wouldn't say a majority of them are but I'd venture to guess at least 20% operate in this manner (or have some employees that do). It only takes one horrible salesperson to give a dealer a black eye, and word of mouth (and internet) travels fast.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)