2023 Rubicon 392 question

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Is there a much of a difference between the v6 and the 392? I haven't had a oppertunity to drive one.
Nope— a Jeep with trap times approaching a 60’s B/G dragster is no different than a squishy torqued V6. 🙃

Sponsored

OP
OP

hukaris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Many of you have 392 equiped with XR package?

arcticaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have one on order, but you can always just upgrade to 37s, a better lift, regear, and add the fender flare extensions on your own if you want. The XR is a nice to have from factory but you can easily do better than it with aftermarket.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
The 392 is going to retain value better than some random 4-cylinder Rubicon otherwise equipped the same way. But you can't buy/order one expecting it to hold its value well on the same level of an actually production-limited or bespoke car. Ultimately they're still making several thousand 392s over a few model years, and outside of extreme enthusiasts it's going to be looked at as yet another Jeep.

Gotta set your expectations to "it'll depreciate slower" not "it'll hold its value or appreciate". And you may be looking at 10 years down the road before its value is truly recognized.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one on order, but you can always just upgrade to 37s, a better lift, regear, and add the fender flare extensions on your own if you want. The XR is a nice to have from factory but you can easily do better than it with aftermarket.
Yep— since the 392 comes with most of the XR Willys upgrades, I XR’d my pre XR for ~ the same price except I have 7.5 not 8” beadlock capable, no flare extensions and could have gone with 4.88’s and 37’s for the same price.

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
I tucked away a XR392 in Reign. Limited high impact color, non available XR package currently. If they make a 392 in 2024 I will drive it. If not, it will be at BJ next January. An exact Jeep sold for 120k plus 10% fees at this year's auction. Only time will tell what happens if the 392 is discontinued.

Sponsored

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
I tucked away a XR392 in Reign. Limited high impact color, non available XR package currently. If they make a 392 in 2024 I will drive it. If not, it will be at BJ next January. An exact Jeep sold for 120k plus 10% fees at this year's auction. Only time will tell what happens if the 392 is discontinued.
Barrett Jackson is a special kind of reality distortion zone, for sure, and prices can go nuts. But thing is that unless someone is dying for that exact color/spec, they can just go buy a 392 today for $85-90k, new with no miles. More likely $80k if they're willing to take some miles on it. Not to mention, you can still order them!

They're obviously still rare, but they're up for auction on BaT and Cars & Bids somewhat regularly. A '22 XR w/ 4600 miles just sold for $80k on BaT. A brand new non-XR went for $77k. And you can get them from dealers and private party beyond that.

Obviously all it takes is 2 people to want that exact truck to drive the price up, but these things aren't that rare. Right now if you want a 392, you can have a 392. I'm not sure where you're seeing a +$30k premium at for a truck that is widely available if you're someone that has the means to spend that kind of money on a Wrangler.

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
Auctions are a great place to sell. Not to buy. If some body with more money than brains wants to pay an inflated price, more than one person will be there to provide the vehicle. Just reporting recent auction results. No more. No less.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Barrett Jackson is a special kind of reality distortion zone, for sure, and prices can go nuts. But thing is that unless someone is dying for that exact color/spec, they can just go buy a 392 today for $85-90k, new with no miles. More likely $80k if they're willing to take some miles on it. Not to mention, you can still order them!

They're obviously still rare, but they're up for auction on BaT and Cars & Bids somewhat regularly. A '22 XR w/ 4600 miles just sold for $80k on BaT. A brand new non-XR went for $77k. And you can get them from dealers and private party beyond that.

Obviously all it takes is 2 people to want that exact truck to drive the price up, but these things aren't that rare. Right now if you want a 392, you can have a 392. I'm not sure where you're seeing a +$30k premium at for a truck that is widely available if you're someone that has the means to spend that kind of money on a Wrangler.
Well— they just sold a 68 Bronco for $434.5K, and a 54 Corvette for $385K😭🔫

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Rubicon 392 question F51D091A-A12C-497B-BA5C-8362A67AED94

😭 😭
Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Rubicon 392 question A1167ECC-2FC4-4834-9159-C9B335295D19

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
A lot of us do, myself included. The 4.56 gearing is nice to have, along with 35's. If you're truly going to keep it stock, it's great. Even if you're going to run 37's, still great -- as the 4.56 gears really help. That said, it's not like it's a deal breaker.

My spec was:
  • Late '21 392 build w/ XR (was one week from being a 2022).
  • Hydro Blue
  • Front Cam
  • Sky One Touch
  • Gorilla Glass
  • Dual Door Group w/ Premium Uppers
  • Xtreme Recon Package
  • Trailer Tow Package
Paid $76307 -- MSRP came out to around $88265 when delivered (13.6% below MSRP).

I'm retaining all the stock parts but current build is looking like:
  • 40x13.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
  • AEV Borah Beadlocks (couldn't get the rings for the XR wheels for any reasonable price).
  • AEV Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier (keeps tire off tailgate, stock steel bumper from colliding with body).
  • Currie Antirock swaybar rear, forged.
  • Currie Antirock swaybar front, forged (don't care for stock swaybar disco).
  • Currie winch plate
  • Currie adjustable control arms upper/lower
  • Currie track bars front/rear
  • Currie geometry correction brackets
  • EVO 4 1/2" HD springs front/rear
  • Fox 3.0 internal bypass remote reservoir shocks front and rear
  • Fox air bumps
  • Fox ATS stabilizer
  • Warn Zeon 10s w/ Ultrahook
  • APEX Steering Boost
  • Magnaflow crawler exhaust
  • Fender chop (American Adventure Lab Liners w/ Quake LEDs)
  • Front driveshaft (locally made)
  • Tazer
Next year will be Currie 70's and then I can use my Walker Evans set.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

BJ will fetch that pricing, though it also depends on the night the vehicle goes up and the hour, at that.
Sponsored