Sponsored

2021 JL questions

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Well, we were just ready for an Auto. We are both pushing 50 and take the JKU on lots of trips. Many times my wife follows me pulling a trailer when we RV. We were looking at selling the 5th wheel and getting a class C. We wanted the smaller 2 door Rubi. to pull behind it for some cross country trips.

I still have my old ‘92 YJ when I want to drive a manual. And I’ve got my Grandfathers old ‘71 F100 w/ 3 on tree too.

This stupid decision by FCA just sickens me! Just my luck! We are finally in a position to get another new Wrangler and my first Rubicon. And now FCA ruins it! Way to go FCA! If this decision stands then you just lost a sale!
I'm kind of in the same position as you. Only I won't be in a position to order until sometime next year. Main reason I'm going to look seriously at a Bronco is this etorque crap.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I’m a long time Jeep owner. I still have a ‘92 YJ (4.0/5spd) and the last new one I bought was a 2016 JKU w/ 3.6L and 6 speed manual.

I’m looking at trading the JKU in on a new 2 door Rubicon. However, I am seeing some ugly rumors concerning the Powertrain options.

I want the 3.6L (Non etorque) with the 8 speed Auto. I’ve read where that won’t be allowed for 2021? The article said I’d have to get another manual tranny to get the Non etorque 3.6L.

Please tell me this isn’t true. It will be a deal breaker for me if it is...I’m still upset that factory Half doors won’t be offered for the JL.

The other question I had was the dash Bezel color. I know the red dash looks good on certain colors. However, I am ordering the Yellow (Hella Yella). The red dash will be hideous on a yellow Jeep. Please don’t tell me that’s the only option. I think even FCA would know that’s not an acceptable color combo?

Thanks,
Michael
Hey. Welcome to the Forum. You should introduce yourself in the North Carolina Roll Call. There's a pretty active group of NC owners here.

If you ever want to sell that YJ please message me.

OP
OP

mismith

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2016 JKU
I will check out the NC Roll Call.

I guess we will be searching for a like new, used 2018-20, Yellow 2 door Rubicon with 3.6/Auto.

I have been following the new Bronco too. Ford is being ridiculous too by not offering a factory soft top on a 2 door! What was Ford thinking there?? SMH....

But at least you are not forced into an etorque Hybrid crap with the Bronco....However I still think Wrangler is king and still looks a lot better than the new Bronco and is considerably lighter weight too.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Thanks,
Michael
[/QUOTE]
I’m a long time Jeep owner. I still have a ‘92 YJ (4.0/5spd) and the last new one I bought was a 2016 JKU w/ 3.6L and 6 speed manual.

I’m looking at trading the JKU in on a new 2 door Rubicon. However, I am seeing some ugly rumors concerning the Powertrain options.

I want the 3.6L (Non etorque) with the 8 speed Auto. I’ve read where that won’t be allowed for 2021? The article said I’d have to get another manual tranny to get the Non etorque 3.6L.

Please tell me this isn’t true. It will be a deal breaker for me if it is...I’m still upset that factory Half doors won’t be offered for the JL.

The other question I had was the dash Bezel color. I know the red dash looks good on certain colors. However, I am ordering the Yellow (Hella Yella). The red dash will be hideous on a yellow Jeep. Please don’t tell me that’s the only option. I think even FCA would know that’s not an acceptable color combo?

Thanks,
Michael
I wouldn't throw in the towel. I have a very recent factory order for a JLU Sport Altitude & as you know it will have the no etorque 2.0L. Sales coordinator thinks that is temporary as maybe factory has a glut of 2.0L's & not many 3.6L's? The restricted orders at this time are due to allocations & that might change.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't throw in the towel. I have a very recent factory order for a JLU Sport Altitude & as you know it will have the no etorque 2.0L. Sales coordinator thinks that is temporary as maybe factory has a glut of 2.0L's & not many 3.6L's? The restricted orders at this time are due to allocations & that might change.
I believe is has more to do with meeting CAFE standards.

FCA sales continue to concentrate increasingly on gas guzzlers (Rams, Wranglers, Grand Cherokees, Gladiators), as sales of FCA’s more fuel efficient models (Renegades, Compass, Fiats) are in free-fall.

FCA has been getting big fines in recent years for failing to meet CAFE numbers. I’m sure they are desperately trying up their numbers however they can.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mismith

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2016 JKU
I may go back with a manual tranny? I’ve been reading some good things about the JL 6 speed and clutch as opposed to the JK’s which I have not been fond of.

I’ve always had manuals in Jeeps but not a fan of my JK 6 speed.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
There probably are still 2020s out there that won't have etorque with the 3.6 and auto.
There's one on my dealer's lot right now: A new 2020 Unlimited Sport with the 850RE and a non-etorque V6. I test drove it because I wanted to experience the Automatic, prior to choosing a transmission for my 2021 vehicle order. I had already driven an Unlimited with the 6-speed.

The aforementioned 2020 Sport was brought in for a customer, at his request, from another dealer's inventory. On pickup day, the customer's wife discovered the Sport had manual windows and door locks (a detail not previously mentioned by her husband). Rejecting such proliterian fitments, she said she wanted nothing to do with the vehicle. And so the would-be customer walked away.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I may go back with a manual tranny? I’ve been reading some good things about the JL 6 speed and clutch as opposed to the JK’s which I have not been fond of.

I’ve always had manuals in Jeeps but not a fan of my JK 6 speed.
You may want to test drive and consider the 2.0T. That 8sp transmission is great and the factory tuning on it is fantastic. And the 2.0 is surprising a lot of people. For me, that auto is hard to give up. That being said I just bought a '20 2.0T jlur and I'm happy with it. Also I've driven a tuned '19 2.0t and was VERY impressed. I'll be getting a tune for mine after the break-in.
Sponsored