Sponsored

Thinking about trading my 2021 5.7 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk for a JL but few questions for the experts

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Hey everyone,

So While I do really like my trailhawk the simple fact is it's just not as fun as my old wrangler. I has a 2012 JK unlimited hardtop and kind of miss it.

I am thinking when I get rid of my GC I am going to purchase the wrangler I always wanted so I don't want to rush this. I am still torn on a 4XE or a 392.

Here is my question and yes I have researched this on my own but the issue is sometimes the more reading you do the more different opinions you get and by the time you're done you feel even more confused.

I think I would really like the sky one touch top. It's kind of like the panoramic sunroof in my GC only way bigger and better. My issue is I have the same concerns as so many others have presented. I live in NJ so we may see a lot of snow/rain/pollen/tree sap and just all the things that probably wouldn't be ideal for that top. That said I think I am still willing to risk it and order that top. I just want to know IF I do start to have major problems with the top. It becomes a nightmare is it possible to then have the top completely removed and have the dealer or a shop install the freedom 3 piece hardtop?

Basically I just want to know if shit hits the fan and it gets as bad as it could is there at least a worst case plan B that I could go to. I want to keep this next Jeep longterm so I just want to know if that is an option. Basically I don't want the one choice of the skytop to completely ruin the purchase for me. If I can eventually change to a hardtop at least that's peace of mind and I know I have some kind of solution.

Thanks everyone and cant wait to be a wrangler owner again!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

I can’t comment on the Sky roof, but you are likely to take a bath on that brand spanking new Grand Cherokee. Unfortunately Grand Cherokees don’t hold their value like Wranglers.

Having said that, if you are going to do it, this is perhaps as good a time to do it; used vehicle prices are through the roof.

Good luck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - my guess would be that it is easier to swap a Sky roof for a hardtop than the other way around.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I'll trade you my 2018 Rubicon for the Trailhawk. 18k miles, lots of upgrades including dual top group!! Don't lowball me I know what I have...

Seriously though, I was concerned about the reliability of the SOT because I'd likely use it almost everyday. Also liked the full openness of the soft top. However, I'm finding having the hard/soft tops a bit of a pain in the ass since I live in a high-rise condo and don't have a garage, so I don't use the open top options as much as I want to. This has me rethinking the SOT. I have the Bestop Sunrider for the hardtop and use it all the time since there is nothing to have to store.

Last edited:

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
From my understanding removal of the sky one touch is not very difficult, however installing one is a lot more involved.

Like you I am leaning heavily on the sky one touch for my next Wrangler, If/when it craps out I am just going to replace it with a soft top.

Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Removing the 1 touch is possible. May have some residual buttons from it left over.
If I remember correctly it's 11 bolts on each side among some other unplugging. Definitely a 2 person job (the retractable part is very heavy)

Installing a regular hard top will be a breeze in comparison

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Its worth noting that the trim and hardware at the windshield will need to be swapped if you abandon the one touch for a hard top or soft top. Otherwise there would be nothing for the top to latch on to up front.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

So guys I just want to confirm sure. If I have a JL with the skytop and for some reason I want to completely replace it with a hardtop. I can take it to Jeep and have them replace the skytop with a hardtop? That is 100% yes and confirmable?

I am not inquiring if I would have to pay for it even if the skytop was malfunctioning I just want to know if it's doable. Thanks again!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I can take it to Jeep and have them replace the skytop with a hardtop? That is 100% yes and confirmable?
NOOOOOOOO…. absolutely not.

It would strictly be DIY. I’m sure they’ll be happy to take your money and order you all of the parts needed.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

NOOOOOOOO…. absolutely not.

It would strictly be DIY. I’m sure they’ll be happy to take your money and order you all of the parts needed.
LOL I think I'm explaining myself poorly. I'm not asking Jeep to do it for free. I myself unfortunately am a far cry from a DIY kinda guy with most tasks. I wish I was more mechanically inclined however I am not! I would pay a shop or service department their hourly rate to do the job. I just wasn't even sure if it was possible because the skytop has those windows in the back that pop out. The frame rails look different. I wasn't even sure if it was possible but I guess if you have enough money anything is possible. Luckily and thankfully I am pretty good at some other things!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL I think I'm explaining myself poorly. I'm not asking Jeep to do it for free. I myself unfortunately am a far cry from a DIY kinda guy with most tasks. I wish I was more mechanically inclined however I am not! I would pay a shop or service department their hourly rate to do the job. I just wasn't even sure if it was possible because the skytop has those windows in the back that pop out. The frame rails look different. I wasn't even sure if it was possible but I guess if you have enough money anything is possible. Luckily and thankfully I am pretty good at some other things!
Its removable and the roll cage underneath is the same as other JLUs so it would have no problem attaching the hard top itself. You would have to get the latching hardware and change the interior trim on the A pillar frame to use the freedom panels or a sunrider. If you get the Sky One Touch, none of that hardware is included.

You'd be better off just getting the Hard Top to start with.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
To be honest, I'd say get a soft top and have access to all that the Jeep lifestyle has to offer. Unless road noise or theft is a major concern for you, then I there is almost no reason to get a hard top/enclosure. Even road noise is a non-concern until you start changing out your tires. The Softop can be flipped back into sunrider mode which is very similar to a retractable roof, and when the time comes when you really want to get Jiggy with it, you can let the top all the way down and pull the windows.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Its removable and the roll cage underneath is the same as other JLUs so it would have no problem attaching the hard top itself. You would have to get the latching hardware and change the interior trim on the A pillar frame to use the freedom panels or a sunrider. If you get the Sky One Touch, none of that hardware is included.

You'd be better off just getting the Hard Top to start with.
Got it! Thanks Sean, I think you're right. I am leaning more towards a hard top at the moment.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Got it! Thanks Sean, I think you're right. I am leaning more towards a hard top at the moment.
I personally do like the sky one touch. If I were to get one I would just commit to repairing it rather than replacing it if it does break. If you want the possibility of rapidly being open top in the summer but still having a rigid top in the winter, I would recommend looking at the Dual Top Group where you get the Hard top and a Soft top at once.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I think I'm explaining myself poorly. I'm not asking Jeep to do it for free.
You’re good! I was not implying that you were asking it to be done for free.

Jeep dealerships are usually fairly conservative when it comes to modifications. There are some skilled and qualified mechanics working in some of their service departments but these people are rare and few.

Most of the average techs don’t have the skillset to be able to perform the type of work you’re wanting done.

Thanks to this forum, others have gone and ventured down the path and moved from hardtop/soft top to SOT. As others have mentioned, for this install, the scope of work is a bit more involved and complex. It’s the retrograde wiring to be able to operate the power top that can be more involved.

Going from SOT to a hardtop/softtop, on the other hand, is much less involved because all of the electrical is already in place and the scope of work involves removing bolts, the SOT hardware and disconnecting wiring harness that’s in place.

Either work can be done with a mechanically inclined friend or two, the second being an easier DIY job with a friend or two. If you were nearby, I’d do it for you for pizza and energy drinks lol.

That being said, you’re more likely to find a mom and pop shop who works with Wranglers and will be willing to do the service for you, rather than Jeep.
Sponsored