Sponsored

Thinking about trading my 2021 5.7 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk for a JL but few questions for the experts

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
I didn't see the point in spending the extra money, personally. If you had a JK hardtop, you'll be blown away at how much easier it is to remove the front panels on the JL (no stupid screws, just three latches and a lever per side). And I've never had a car with any kind of power roof (convertible, moonroof, etc) that didn't eventually develop some kind of issue.

I haven't seen any widespread reports of gremlins so far, however, and everyone I know that has one seems to love it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I personally do like the sky one touch. If I were to get one I would just commit to repairing it rather than replacing it if it does break. If you want the possibility of rapidly being open top in the summer but still having a rigid top in the winter, I would recommend looking at the Dual Top Group where you get the Hard top and a Soft top at once.
Got ya. See the thing is I definitely do not want a soft top. The area I live in we see our fair share of storms and we have had hurricanes. Also for work sometimes I find myself in the not best of areas and security is a concern. My last trip I saw some guy taking a knife to the top of a soft top Mustang. Uncool.

For me I would love the convenience of the sky top and I have no problem committing to fixing the top however I know how my mind works lol I'm gonna constantly worry about it and that would take away the enjoyment of ownership. I think a hardtop may be a better option but still weighing all my options. I have time and doubt the swap over to the JL will happen till next summer anyway!

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

You’re good! I was not implying that you were asking it to be done for free.

Jeep dealerships are usually fairly conservative when it comes to modifications. There are some skilled and qualified mechanics working in some of their service departments but these people are rare and few.

Most of the average techs don’t have the skillset to be able to perform the type of work you’re wanting done.

Thanks to this forum, others have gone and ventured down the path and moved from hardtop/soft top to SOT. As others have mentioned, for this install, the scope of work is a bit more involved and complex. It’s the retrograde wiring to be able to operate the power top that can be more involved.

Going from SOT to a hardtop/softtop, on the other hand, is much less involved because all of the electrical is already in place and the scope of work involves removing bolts, the SOT hardware and disconnecting wiring harness that’s in place.

Either work can be done with a mechanically inclined friend or two, the second being an easier DIY job with a friend or two. If you were nearby, I’d do it for you for pizza and energy drinks lol.

That being said, you’re more likely to find a mom and pop shop who works with Wranglers and will be willing to do the service for you, rather than Jeep.
Awesome info!! Thanks so much for the well thought out response. This board is definitely more active than my GC board lol

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Got ya. See the thing is I definitely do not want a soft top. The area I live in we see our fair share of storms and we have had hurricanes. Also for work sometimes I find myself in the not best of areas and security is a concern. My last trip I saw some guy taking a knife to the top of a soft top Mustang. Uncool.

For me I would love the convenience of the sky top and I have no problem committing to fixing the top however I know how my mind works lol I'm gonna constantly worry about it and that would take away the enjoyment of ownership. I think a hardtop may be a better option but still weighing all my options. I have time and doubt the swap over to the JL will happen till next summer anyway!
Not to worry. You'll probably change your mind 15 times between now and then. The Hard top is how I started and its a good top, and the freedom panels are pretty easy to remove when you want the open air experience.
Sponsored