2021 JL questions

mismith

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2016 JKU
I’m a long time Jeep owner. I still have a ‘92 YJ (4.0/5spd) and the last new one I bought was a 2016 JKU w/ 3.6L and 6 speed manual.

I’m looking at trading the JKU in on a new 2 door Rubicon. However, I am seeing some ugly rumors concerning the Powertrain options.

I want the 3.6L (Non etorque) with the 8 speed Auto. I’ve read where that won’t be allowed for 2021? The article said I’d have to get another manual tranny to get the Non etorque 3.6L.

Please tell me this isn’t true. It will be a deal breaker for me if it is...I’m still upset that factory Half doors won’t be offered for the JL.

The other question I had was the dash Bezel color. I know the red dash looks good on certain colors. However, I am ordering the Yellow (Hella Yella). The red dash will be hideous on a yellow Jeep. Please don’t tell me that’s the only option. I think even FCA would know that’s not an acceptable color combo?

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

If you don’t like JL powertrain offerings, just wait five minutes and FCA will change its mind. Again.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I’m a long time Jeep owner. I still have a ‘92 YJ (4.0/5spd) and the last new one I bought was a 2016 JKU w/ 3.6L and 6 speed manual.

I’m looking at trading the JKU in on a new 2 door Rubicon. However, I am seeing some ugly rumors concerning the Powertrain options.

I want the 3.6L (Non etorque) with the 8 speed Auto. I’ve read where that won’t be allowed for 2021? The article said I’d have to get another manual tranny to get the Non etorque 3.6L.

Please tell me this isn’t true. It will be a deal breaker for me if it is...I’m still upset that factory Half doors won’t be offered for the JL.

The other question I had was the dash Bezel color. I know the red dash looks good on certain colors. However, I am ordering the Yellow (Hella Yella). The red dash will be hideous on a yellow Jeep. Please don’t tell me that’s the only option. I think even FCA would know that’s not an acceptable color combo?

Thanks,
Michael
I've been holding off on ordering a 2021 because of this very reason, Im hoping something changes in the September order guide, If it doesn't Im leaning towards the non etorque 2.0T. I originally wanted the diesel but im not sure I want to deal with DEF and the cost is substantial

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That is not a rumor. It is fact for the moment. If you want a non-etorque gas engine with auto, you can have anyone you want as long as it is the 2.0 I4 Turbo.

As far as the dash issue, not sure if red is choice for Hella Yella, but some here have purchased the trim from another model and replaced the red trim. I think grey is one of the options.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
If you order tan leather, you’ll get the grey dash. Unless that changed for 2021 as well.

And just get another manual. :)

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

Please tell me this isn’t true. It will be a deal breaker for me if it is...

Thanks,
Michael
If you want the 3.6/non-e-Torque..why not just get another manual transmission?

wriver82

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Red JLUR

Thanks,
Michael
Almost positive the HellaYella does NOT come with the red dash, only the Rubi

OP
OP

mismith

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2016 JKU
If you want the 3.6/non-e-Torque..why not just get another manual transmission?
Well, we were just ready for an Auto. We are both pushing 50 and take the JKU on lots of trips. Many times my wife follows me pulling a trailer when we RV. We were looking at selling the 5th wheel and getting a class C. We wanted the smaller 2 door Rubi. to pull behind it for some cross country trips.

I still have my old ‘92 YJ when I want to drive a manual. And I’ve got my Grandfathers old ‘71 F100 w/ 3 on tree too.

This stupid decision by FCA just sickens me! Just my luck! We are finally in a position to get another new Wrangler and my first Rubicon. And now FCA ruins it! Way to go FCA! If this decision stands then you just lost a sale!

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well, we were just ready for an Auto. We are both pushing 50 and take the JKU on lots of trips. Many times my wife follows me pulling a trailer when we RV. We were looking at selling the 5th wheel and getting a class C. We wanted the smaller 2 door Rubi. to pull behind it for some cross country trips.

I still have my old ‘92 YJ when I want to drive a manual. And I’ve got my Grandfathers old ‘71 F100 w/ 3 on tree too.

This stupid decision by FCA just sickens me! Just my luck! We are finally in a position to get another new Wrangler and my first Rubicon. And now FCA ruins it! Way to go FCA! If this decision stands then you just lost a sale!
There probably are still 2020s out there that won't have etorque with the 3.6 and auto. I feel like you but leaning towards the 2.0 I4 turbo without etorque. After doing more research, I warmed up to the 2.0 some although would still prefer the 3.6 non-etorque.

TJdesersand

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Windstar

Thanks,
Michael
I believe OEM Half Doors, will be available at sometime in MY'21.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mismith

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2016 JKU
I would even consider the diesel but wait, the insanity of FCA continues. I can’t get it in a 2 door!:mad:

I just don’t want the 2.0 either.

The sickening Dems/Libs and environmental Nazis have ruined the Wrangler....

I emailed FCA last week and pleaded with them about the Half Doors. They responded in a rather lengthy email which sounded like I had asked a politician a question. The bottom line was NO there won’t be any half doors for the JL. They told me to seek them out in the aftermarket industry and Mopar parts could help me locate them. Blah, blah, blah.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I would even consider the diesel but wait, the insanity of FCA continues. I can’t get it in a 2 door!:mad:

I just don’t want the 2.0 either.

The sickening Dems/Libs and environmental Nazis have ruined the Wrangler....

I emailed FCA last week and pleaded with them about the Half Doors. They responded in a rather lengthy email which sounded like I had asked a politician a question. The bottom line was NO there won’t be any half doors for the JL. They told me to seek them out in the aftermarket industry and Mopar parts could help me locate them. Blah, blah, blah.
Gotta love CYA answers :headbang:

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)
I would say you could wait on the V8 later this year, but knowing FCA, it won't be available in a 2-door either!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
However, I am ordering the Yellow (Hella Yella). The red dash will be hideous on a yellow Jeep.
You may be surprised when you see it in person. I was vehemently opposed to the red dash and red tow hooks. Then I test drove a Rubicon. The red wasn’t even an issue. On the yellow Rubi’s I’ve seen with black interiors, the red looks really nice.
Sponsored

Last edited: