Sponsored

2019 JL MOAB Questions

JLmoab19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
Greetings. First post. Have a 2019 JL MOAB on order and scheduled to arrive in 2 weeks. I’ve read other threads but creating this post to get some very specific advice. I’m new at this.

First, I plan to replace the BFG 255/70/17 MT with LT295/70R/17E Nitto Ridge Grapplers. My goal is bigger tire but no lift kit. Also looking for a quieter ride for daily commute while retaining some off-road capabilities. Will this tire size work with stock Moab wheel and fender? Is that tire a good choice?

Second, can someone confirm whether rear bumper is steel? I thought both bumpers were steel, but my order form only says front bumper. If not, I’ll need a rear bumper upgrade. Any suggestions?

Third, I’ve read gobi roof racks can take up to 6 months lead time??? Is that true? Debating between gobi and rhino. Will do heavy up top packing for camping trips for sure, and possibly a roof top tent. Would appreciate anyone’s input on this choice. It’s expensive and want to make a good decision.

Maybe this is too many topics for one post. Not sure on protocol. Many thanks.
Sponsored

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
The rear bumper is plastic, but some people have had issues with their steel bumpers doing damage to their Jeep’s body, so you may not want it anyways if you do serious off-roading.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
From what I've seen in other threads, 295/70/17 is a little too big and you'll need to lift it. Some have claimed that 285/70/17 is fine with no rub and spare fits with no relocation.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Greetings. First post. Have a 2019 JL MOAB on order and scheduled to arrive in 2 weeks. I’ve read other threads but creating this post to get some very specific advice. I’m new at this.

First, I plan to replace the BFG 255/70/17 MT with LT295/70R/17E Nitto Ridge Grapplers. My goal is bigger tire but no lift kit. Also looking for a quieter ride for daily commute while retaining some off-road capabilities. Will this tire size work with stock Moab wheel and fender? Is that tire a good choice?

Second, can someone confirm whether rear bumper is steel? I thought both bumpers were steel, but my order form only says front bumper. If not, I’ll need a rear bumper upgrade. Any suggestions?

Third, I’ve read gobi roof racks can take up to 6 months lead time??? Is that true? Debating between gobi and rhino. Will do heavy up top packing for camping trips for sure, and possibly a roof top tent. Would appreciate anyone’s input on this choice. It’s expensive and want to make a good decision.

Maybe this is too many topics for one post. Not sure on protocol. Many thanks.
There is a gobi roof rack in the sale section, brand new.

Sponsored

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
First, I plan to replace the BFG 255/70/17 MT with LT295/70R/17E Nitto Ridge Grapplers. My goal is bigger tire but no lift kit. Also looking for a quieter ride for daily commute while retaining some off-road capabilities.
Just put new wheels and 285/75r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my new Rubicon. They are fairly quiet but are noisier than the KO2's were.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nitro Ridge Grapplers are a good tire. They will have better road manners than the KM2s. If they have a downside it’s their weight. They are typically heavier than comparable tires in the same size. They are even heavier than a lot of mud terrains.

THorner

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Diesel, 79 J10, 06 XLR, Ducati 999 & ST4
Occupation
Retired
In reply to your third question, I ordered my Gobi rack on Nov 15. They are telling me my order is in the queue but will not yet confirm a shipping date. I spoke with them last week and they indicated that they believe they are on track for a March date. My order confirmation states "NOTE: Production Lead Time Minimum: 12-16 weeks". 16 weeks from order date would be March 7. If you want, I'll post again when I know more (if I remember).
Sponsored