Sponsored

2021 closeouts must be happening

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Rubicon 392, ā€˜20 Gladiator
Keep the deep ocean blue V6, I agree with you on engine and color choice. The pentastars have a damn good track record of longevity anyway. Deep ocean blue and mojito should have never been discontinued. Mopar should have never discontinued sublime green and plum crazy in the Challengers either (panther pink should have also been added, but now Iā€™m off on a tangent.
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Keep the deep ocean blue V6, I agree with you on engine and color choice. The pentastars have a damn good track record of longevity anyway. Deep ocean blue and mojito should have never been discontinued. Mopar should have never discontinued sublime green and plum crazy in the Challengers either (panther pink should have also been added, but now Iā€™m off on a tangent.
Plum Crazy was always one of my favorite Mopar colors.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It's all part of the game. I doubt they would buy
it outright for that. That's what Camax, Carvana, etc do.

These tactics are like fishing. Once you have one on the hook, you need to handle the fight just right to land it. Don't take the bait.

Last edited:

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

why do they need to spend money on sending junk mail to me?
If it was a physical piece of mail, it literally costs them *cents*. If it was an email, it effectively cost them nothing.

They have your purchase information in a massive database, all as fields. Their marketing manager says "Make me a list of all the people who purchased this model jeep, etc". When they're building the communication (either digital email or physical mail, doesn't matter) they'll craft a script with some blanks - kinda like Mad Libs. They then tell the system to fill those blanks with bits and pieces of data from your profile, such as the color of your jeep, exact model, etc.

It's all automated, so when the email gets sent or the notecard gets printed, it prints the normal stuff and queries the database for the variables (usually called dynamic field or similar).

"Hi [FIRST NAME]! We hope you've been enjoying your [MODEL YEAR] [VEHICLE MAKE] [VEHICLE MODEL] - it's an awesome vehicle, for sure.

There's actually a high demand for [MODEL COLOR] [VEHICLE MODEL]s right now, so we'd like to extend a special offer, since you're a valued customer. Bring your [VEHICLE MAKE] in, and trade it for a brand new 2021 Jeep Wrangler - your choice of color - and we'll keep your payment terms the same - just [MONTHLY PAYMENT]/month, like always.

Give us a call today! 1-800-DEALERSHIP"

Assuming you have an Ocean Blue 2016 Rubicon and pay $502/month, this turns into:

"Hi Brian! We hope you've been enjoying your 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - it's an awesome vehicle, for sure.

There's actually a high demand for Ocean Blue Wrangler Rubicons right now, so we'd like to extend a special offer, since you're a valued customer. Bring your Jeep in, and trade it for a brand new 2021 Jeep Wrangler - your choice of color - and we'll keep your payment terms the same - just $502/month, like always.

Give us a call today! 1-800-DEALERSHIP

It's all automated so everyone gets something that's personalized to them (based on the data they have on you). So it's dirt cheap to send this out to hundreds (thousands) of customers, in the hopes that a handful bite.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
A few weeks ago, I got an email from a saleswoman from my dealership with a subject of "WE NEED YOUR CAR". Usually I ignore or random emails like this, but this email wasn't from who I dealt with when I bought my JL so I was a bit intrigued.

Here's what she wrote:

"Being able to acquire vehicles that we have either sold, serviced or both that we can add to our Pre-Owned inventory is the best possible scenario. In a search of our customer records I identified your car as a perfect match for us. As compensation to you, if we could upgrade you to a newer Jeep Wrangler Unlimited keeping your payments about the same, would you consider letting us purchase your car?"

I know how these things work, as my father is in the auto business, so I figured I had nothing to lose by responding. I replied back stating that I'd only consider this if she could get me into a Rubicon keeping the payment exactly the same. I even specifically said she couldn't go even one dollar over.

Her response:

"Unfortunately, we would only be able to achieve this if you were to entertain a lease."

My response to that:

"A lease on any vehicle or just the Rubicon?"

Her response back:

"Please come in for an appraisal. Then maybe we can use the positive equity in you current vehicle to get you into the vehicle of your choice."

I simply responded by saying thanks but no thanks. Strangely enough, my actual saleswoman called me the next day asking if everything was OK and if I was happy with my vehicle.
They're just fishing to see who bites then its bait and switch ...old tactics nothing nw here.

Sponsored

ShaunBJeeps

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee X4, 2017 GMC Sierra
I have a few examples of how crazy the car market is:

I ordered a new Jeep a couple weeks ago for my wife. Her current car is a 2017 GMC Acadia Limited. We paid $28k for it in 2018. Last year, we considered selling it and the most I could get for it was $16,000. This year, after I ordered the new Jeep, I was offered $20,000 by vroom but since I have a few weeks, listed it on Facebook for $25,000. Almost immediately a dealer contacted me and offered me $23,000 for it so I took that deal. Dealer drove 2 hours to my house with a check that day because he needs inventory.

Last May, I purchase my dream truck. A 2017 GMC Sierra Denali. I paid about $33,000 for it. After seeking the offer on my wifeā€™s car, I put the info into vroom and they offered me $42,000. I checked NADA & KBB and they both list the retail value of that truck at around $50k. And it has 70k miles on it!

Last June my brother purchased a company truck, a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali diesel. Not sure what the sticker was, but he paid about $65,000 for it. The dealer called him a couple weeks ago and offered him $68k for that truck on trade. Additionally, offered him a new truck with a few more options for $73,000. He took the trade and his old truck is now listed for sale for $78,000 on the dealerā€™s website.

My guess is dealers are making kickbacks on new vehicles so they are willing to make deals. And if they have a chance to make a few hundred bucks on a sale and net zero inventory because they get a trade, they are all over it because they can make a couple more thousand on the trade.

itā€™s never been a better time to sell a vehicle. Itā€™s also a really good time to buy a new vehicle. Itā€™s a terrible time to be in the market for a used vehicle right now!

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Have to admit though, getting all but $6K of my purchase price back after 3 years is pretty darned good.
I would aim higher. A buddy of mine bought a new truck two years ago for $41k. Drove the wheels off for two years, and just sold it for $42k to a dealer who currently has it listed for $46k.

Having just done the math on used Jeep vs. new Jeep and having just bought a new Jeep, I feel confident in assuring you that Jeep Wrangler prices are even higher than truck prices.

Plus you don't really want to redo the mods.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
Who is buying those well-used vehicles at those prices??? šŸ˜²

The dealerships and used car companies wouldn't be buying them unless they were turning a profit. How do you even get a loan on such an over-valued used vehicle?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
As crazy as the used car market is right now, it's got nothing on used boats. The prices of 20 year old hulls with original engines are mindboggling.. Even boats 10 years old with original power and some goodies are going for what a new 2021 would go for.. It's insane.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
yeah, i don't get it. location based maybe. where i am ford, toyota lots are almost all used cars but jeep has over a dozen new wranglers on lot.

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I just upgraded from a 2018 JLU Sahara white 6sp to a 2021 Sahara sarge 6sp with the options I wanted, alpine, cold weather, leds. I bought the 2018 slightly used 2 years ago at 37k, they gave me that in trade, better financing, payment went up $20. Iā€™m stoked

DPMJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
All dealers are fishing for business but this is legit.

I bought a new GMC Sierra in Feb but traded it in for a Gladiator last week due to a couple of things that happened due to the elevated used car market.
First, we bought the family suburban off lease when it expired this month - there is now a $10k plus difference between my buyout price and trade in price - the best deal in the market was to buy my lease.
Then I suddenly had two giant vehicles and looked to see if I could offload the Sierra - after owning it for 90 days I was able to trade in the Sierra for $4k more than my out the door price including taxes.
There are a couple of articles online about how frenzied auctions due to car shortages are driving the cost of used vehicles higher than new ones, through a bit of dumb luck I benefited from this.
I have always wanted to own a jeep and almost 2 weeks in I love my Gladiator so wins all around for once when it comes to buying vehicles

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It must be the Ocean Blue.
No, I have fire cracker red 2018 RJL got first notice o $36,000, then $38,000 now just received one for $39,900 trade in . Not interest but good offers.

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Got a letter from my dealer yesterday offering me almost $36K for my '18 JLU if I trade it in for a '21. They don't make Ocean Blue anymore and everything they have on the lot is a 2.0T. I like my V6 so I'm not really interested (plus I don't want to redo any of my mods). Have to admit though, getting all but $6K of my purchase price back after 3 years is pretty darned good.
So you have the ocean blue? I want that so
bad but canā€™t find it with the options I want and if I do itā€™s astronomically priced!!!

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

We just traded our 2018 Outback w/65k miles for $3000 over KBB, with a major oil consumption issue (the dealer knew about the oil issues because they have serviced it since it was purchased). The problem was that we had to pay MSRP for a 2021 Ascent. So what we gained in our trade, we lost in negotiation power since new inventory is so low.
Sponsored