2021 closeouts must be happening

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Got a letter from my dealer yesterday offering me almost $36K for my '18 JLU if I trade it in for a '21. They don't make Ocean Blue anymore and everything they have on the lot is a 2.0T. I like my V6 so I'm not really interested (plus I don't want to redo any of my mods). Have to admit though, getting all but $6K of my purchase price back after 3 years is pretty darned good.
Sponsored

bm11

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I'm in the car business, it isn't the 2021 closeout deals, it is the lack of new vehicle inventory driving the used car market. The books have been climbing twice a month in response to the insanity that the auction has going on.

Some used stuff is selling for more than new MSRP, no joke.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I'm in the car business, it isn't the 2021 closeout deals, it is the lack of new vehicle inventory driving the used car market. The books have been climbing twice a month in response to the insanity that the auction has going on.

Look at Carvana and Vroom. They don't have an issue selling use Wranglers for well above MSRP, some almost have the bumper to bumper warranty expired. Vroom offered me a little more then trade in for my Rubicon then I paid all in new (including taxes).

EDIT: Added some words.

Last edited:

bm11

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Look at Carvana and Vroom. They don't have an issue selling use Wranglers for well above MSRP, some almost have the bumper to bumper warranty. Vroom offered me a little more then trade in for my Rubicon then I paid all in (including taxes).
Right, exactly. Inflation much?

OP
OP

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

I believe you but their lot is still full with new ones. It's a small lot I guess but still there seem to be new ones available a little under sticker price. I can see paying more than new MSRP for Ocean Blue though. (that's a joke BTW)

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

I'm missing the connection between there being tightness in 2021 inventories and dealers working hard to get the OP into a 2021. If new inventory is tight, why do dealers need to incentivize buyers by paying up for used?

OP
OP

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm missing the connection between there being tightness in 2021 inventories and dealers working hard to get the OP into a 2021. If new inventory is tight, why do dealers need to incentivize buyers by paying up for used?
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It must be the Ocean Blue.

OP
OP

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It’s just generic marketing mail. Dealers send this crap out all the time, even prior to current market conditions.
I know. This one was more specific than most of that junk mail though. And from all I've been hearing about how tight the car market is right now, why do they need to spend money on sending junk mail to me?

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I traded in my Velocity Blue 2019 Mustang GT for 4k more than I paid for it originally. There is no shortage of Velocity Blue Mustang GTs new or used in the market. Bought a 4xe so I get the PHEV tax credit too (I'll get the full $7500). Great time to buy a new vehicle! lol

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

A few weeks ago, I got an email from a saleswoman from my dealership with a subject of "WE NEED YOUR CAR". Usually I ignore or random emails like this, but this email wasn't from who I dealt with when I bought my JL so I was a bit intrigued.

Here's what she wrote:

"Being able to acquire vehicles that we have either sold, serviced or both that we can add to our Pre-Owned inventory is the best possible scenario. In a search of our customer records I identified your car as a perfect match for us. As compensation to you, if we could upgrade you to a newer Jeep Wrangler Unlimited keeping your payments about the same, would you consider letting us purchase your car?"

I know how these things work, as my father is in the auto business, so I figured I had nothing to lose by responding. I replied back stating that I'd only consider this if she could get me into a Rubicon keeping the payment exactly the same. I even specifically said she couldn't go even one dollar over.

Her response:

"Unfortunately, we would only be able to achieve this if you were to entertain a lease."

My response to that:

"A lease on any vehicle or just the Rubicon?"

Her response back:

"Please come in for an appraisal. Then maybe we can use the positive equity in you current vehicle to get you into the vehicle of your choice."

I simply responded by saying thanks but no thanks. Strangely enough, my actual saleswoman called me the next day asking if everything was OK and if I was happy with my vehicle.

OP
OP

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
A few weeks ago, I got an email from a saleswoman from my dealership with a subject of "WE NEED YOUR CAR". Usually I ignore or random emails like this, but this email wasn't from who I dealt with when I bought my JL so I was a bit intrigued.

Here's what she wrote:

"Being able to acquire vehicles that we have either sold, serviced or both that we can add to our Pre-Owned inventory is the best possible scenario. In a search of our customer records I identified your car as a perfect match for us. As compensation to you, if we could upgrade you to a newer Jeep Wrangler Unlimited keeping your payments about the same, would you consider letting us purchase your car?"

I know how these things work, as my father is in the auto business, so I figured I had nothing to lose by responding. I replied back stating that I'd only consider this if she could get me into a Rubicon keeping the payment exactly the same. I even specifically said she couldn't go even one dollar over.

Her response:

"Unfortunately, we would only be able to achieve this if you were to entertain a lease."

My response to that:

"A lease on any vehicle or just the Rubicon?"

Her response back:

"Please come in for an appraisal. Then maybe we can use the positive equity in you current vehicle to get you into the vehicle of your choice."

I simply responded by saying thanks but no thanks. Strangely enough, my actual saleswoman called me the next day asking if everything was OK and if I was happy with my vehicle.
That's more like what I'd expect.

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
Carvana offered me over 30k for our 2018 Durango. 🤯 Hoping the market holds close to that when we are finally able to order the exact Wrangler we want.

bm11

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
1- Because it is easy to make a deal when the trade is worth close to what it was new.
2- We'd rather sell a new and take in a retail trade than sell a new outright. It keeps the inventory flow going.
3- We need the used cars regardless, I'd rather take them in trade than buy them at auction- trades are generally nicer, and I'm not in a bidding war to get them.

It isn't about "incentivizing buyers by paying up for used" so much as making sure you land on my lot rather than someone else'. It's worth what its worth regardless, and it's worth more now due to the new car market.

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It must be the Ocean Blue.
Ocean Blue Metallic was my favorite Jeep color since Dark Forest Green back in the day. I almost held out to see if one of those would be back for 2022 MY, but liked Sarge a lot too so went ahead. Most Wranglers or Gladiators new or used on my local lots were black, white, silver or gray, not a lot of colors to choose from. I'm sure this is because they're more popular but to people who like a specific color, that trumps a lot when shopping for a vehicle.
Sponsored