OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Guys, the 80 kms/hr scenario was a hypothetical one, to understand the concept behind shifting and driving speed thresh hold with a 4WD. I understand what you all are saying, I am a very experienced driver with over 35 years of excellent driving record, using FWD, RWD, and AWD. All the replies are good for me to understand my transition to a 4WD for the first time. I was not intending to drive at 80 kms/ hr on the highway , in the 4WD mode. My Lexus was a RWD, from which I can derive the 2H mode on me JLU, and with this I consider the 4WD as a bonus, in case I need to use it on a snow covered road (which I did not have on me Lexus). Thanks all again, for your valuable time and comments.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all. I do not have LSD.
Adding a LSD to the rear is a fairly common mod.

Something to consider down the line.

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I always drove my 2010 Sahara Unlimited in 4H in the winter when the roads were wet,a little slushy with no problems. Always shifted back to 2H when the road turned dry. Never had any problems in 9 years of ownership.

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I'm down the road from you in London. My hometown is about an hour north of London and I've done many-a-trip in my 2 Door JK during the winter on the two lane highway home. The highway sees a lot of drifting from the winds off the lake. Generally speaking, if the highway is mostly covered in snow, I just leave it in 4H for my trip. IMO, you're not doing much harm in driving straight with 4H engaged with the occasional dry spot on the road. Around the city, turning at lights etc, while in 4H on dry pavement is where damage will start. Don't overthink it. 4WD won't save your a$$ in most situations, but in cases where the roads are rutted with snow, or drifting, i find 4H gives me lateral stability and keeps the front end in line with the rear end. Place your focus on speed instead and drive according to conditions.

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Adding a LSD to the rear is a fairly common mod.

Something to consider down the line.
cars that use a limited slip differential, which will recruit whichever wheel on an axle that has more traction to help out. ... This actually works against you in the snow, you need a certain degree of wheel spin while climbing slippery hills or similar.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
First, as already mentioned, 4WD does nothing to aid in stopping and will do little to help you on glare ice, especially with two open differentials. Your years of winter driving experience is your best tool for safe winter driving. I do agree that if driving straight ahead damage is unlikely, even on dry roads.

4WD is great if there's any measurable snow or slush on the road, otherwise I don't use it. We're in our 7th Jeep, one was AWD ('76 CJ7, Quadratrac) , most were regularly used to navigate thousands of miles of Wisconsin winter roads providing piece of mind and additional traction when needed. I say most as now that we're retired we make a point of avoiding all that. Do look forward to our trip to Moab and other points west in the upcoming year though.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
cars that use a limited slip differential, which will recruit whichever wheel on an axle that has more traction to help out. ... This actually works against you in the snow, you need a certain degree of wheel spin while climbing slippery hills or similar.
LSD allows 20% independent wheel spin.

I’ve used LSD for years in up to axle deep snow without any issue. Lockers, on the other hand, need to be used sparingly in snow.
cat=107&_nc_ohc=-dFJ6Anoc8oAQmpPqWLFoq1sXSLZjJkPA6A9o-9X3xYNx2z2w1cqyWnrQ&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I’ll piggyback on to this question: 4L is sometimes hard to get into from a stop. I find that I need to tap on the gas and feather the clutch sometimes. I trust this is normal but figured I’d ask y’all.

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
Here’s another question for the hardcore 4WD drivers: is there any limitations on using 4WD in reverse, such as backing out of a driveway in deep snow, or down to the end of a short cup de sac? Not planning on going long distance in reverse, but what about shorter distances ?

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Here’s another question for the hardcore 4WD drivers: is there any limitations on using 4WD in reverse, such as backing out of a driveway in deep snow, or down to the end of a short cup de sac? Not planning on going long distance in reverse, but what about shorter distances ?
In a word, no

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Jeep fatality on QEW near Niagara Falls. Travelling too fast on icy roads? 4WD doesn't help in all conditions.

Wrecked Jeep.jpg
Can't defy physics. Too many drivers have false confidence. They think all wheel drive or 4-wheel drive is a magic bullet for snow and ice. They might get un-stuck but stopping is another story. Best bet is dedicated snow tires like Nokians and winter driving experience. Common sense helps too. Hope the occupants were OK.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I’ll piggyback on to this question: 4L is sometimes hard to get into from a stop. I find that I need to tap on the gas and feather the clutch sometimes. I trust this is normal but figured I’d ask y’all.
Roll slowly with trans in neutral and engage 4L. Same to come out..

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Jeep fatality on QEW near Niagara Falls. Travelling too fast on icy roads? 4WD doesn't help in all conditions.

Wow that is a very harsh crash, any details on how it occurred? Seems like half the Jeep was ripped off. Maybe it was cut apart to free passengers? I only ask to understand and learn. Thoughts are with family and friends.
Sponsored