Sponsored

2020 JLU. 4WD operation.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The road was icy as it was freezing rain.

Woman driver was killed.

" Police were still working to determine which vehicle lost control leading to the collision. Schmidt said the woman was ejected onto the highway during the "significant" collision, while debris was scattered across the pavement."

Be sure and wear your seatbelts.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The road was icy as it was freezing rain.

Woman driver was killed.

" Police were still working to determine which vehicle lost control leading to the collision. Schmidt said the woman was ejected onto the highway during the "significant" collision, while debris was scattered across the pavement."

Be sure and wear your seatbelts.
:crying: man I hate to see any deaths, but it is especially difficult during the holidays.

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Unless you are stuck or cutting through deep snow you do not need 4wd.

4wd is not the same thing as AWD.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Unless you are stuck or cutting through deep snow you do not need 4wd.
And unless you are dressed poorly, you don't need a cabin heater, but it's nice to use.

I enjoy using 4WD in numerous scenarios in the winter, where roads are fully snow covered, even if there is no risk of becoming stuck.

I don't share the attitude that it is a sin to put your Jeep in 4WD, unless you need to plow though 16+ inches of snow.

Last edited:

DaveN007

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
And unless you are dressed poorly, you don't need a cabin heater, but it's nice to use.

I enjoy using 4WD in numerous scenarios in the winter, where roads are fully snow covered, even if there is no risk of becoming stuck.

I don't share the attitude that it is a sin to put your Jeep in 4WD, unless you need to plow though 16+ of snow.
I am similarly confused by how dismissive folks are of 4H. The question really is why wouldn't you use 4H if it gives you better traction on wet roads, for example. Your MPG would suffer, but other than that, why not? For every person saying you don't need 4H until you are stuck, I know a guy who says you don't need a Jeep on any road, ever. Snow tires on an Oldsmobuick gets them through East Coast winters just fine.

Sponsored

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
The Jeep 4WD system is not AWL.

It has to slip. When driving on snow/ice the tires will slip very easily. In turns while in 4WD this can be dangerous. I've found 4WD leads to too much confidence on ice/snow and a lot of people end up in a ditch or worse. 4WD does not make it any safer to drive on ice/snow, it just helps you gain traction to get and stay going.

If you need 4WD to get going...use it

If you are driving just fine in 2WD stay in 2WD.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I had a 2015 Sahara with the "part time" 4WD I was shifting in an out of it a lot around here in the winter. While they keep the main roads reasonably clear the side streets are always a mess. When you are trying to leave an intersection and only the front left wheel is the only on dry pavement 4WD helps a ton. I am loving the JL with the auto 4WD, pretty much set it an forget it.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Well the jl will be my first rear drive car. Owned fwd only in the pass any advise?

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I'm in the GTA as well, and I got to drive in some of the worse road conditions I've experienced for at least five years this last weekend. The entire 401 outside of Cambridge eastbound (and I'm assuming westbound as well) was black ice for 10km or so. I'm surprised there were not more vehicles into the ditch and jersey barriers. I was driving 40km or slower, and just thinking about the throttle had my Jeep feeling squirrelly. Changing lane, and going up the hills I threw it into 4Hi, and then back out when I felt I didn't need it. Judicial application of the brake now and then to test if I was out of the ice or not.

If the pavement isn't dry, use 4Hi as you feel you need it. I stay in 2Hi about 98% of the time and use 4Hi at intersections, etc if the traction control starts firing off, or I can see that I'll have little traction.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the jl will be my first rear drive car. Owned fwd only in the pass any advise?
Shut off the traction control and hit the gas hard to spin around corners. It is great fun having rear wheel drive. :like:

Seriously though just take it slow and drive to the conditions. The traction control is actually great on the Jeep, it is almost impossible to spin out even if you are trying to. Use 4WD when necessary or if you have the Auto just leave it on when there is snow on the ground.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I had a 2015 Sahara with the "part time" 4WD I was shifting in an out of it a lot around here in the winter. While they keep the main roads reasonably clear the side streets are always a mess. When you are trying to leave an intersection and only the front left wheel is the only on dry pavement 4WD helps a ton. I am loving the JL with the auto 4WD, pretty much set it an forget it.
I encounter this too fairly regularly. Coming off a snowy side street onto a cleared main road and because there is a good deal of traffic, you have to jump in quickly - no time to wait for BLD to engage in 2Hi. I put it in 4Hi and sometimes get some binding as I'm turning onto the main road. I assume it will be ok.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I encounter this too fairly regularly. Coming off a snowy side street onto a cleared main road and because there is a good deal of traffic, you have to jump in quickly - no time to wait for BLD to engage in 2Hi. I put it in 4Hi and sometimes get some binding as I'm turning onto the main road. I assume it will be ok.
Yup. I used to set myself up and an angle when I stopped so that the turn would not be as sharp.

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
honestly for me i'm just throwing on a good set of winters tires that way i wont have to use 4 hi unless i absolutely need to and not have to worry bout switching back and forth.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
The first chance you get, head to a large unplowed parking lot or similar space. Try accelerating and braking quickly, turning too fast, accelerating and braking while turning, and other harsh maneuvers to see how the Jeep handles, both in 2WD, 4WD, and with and without traction / stability control.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

If you get into a slide, lift-off the gas, turn the wheels into the slide, and gently tap the gas to regain traction. Don't hit the brakes. Get good winter rated tires. Be easy on the throttle going into turns. It's got ABS so just stomp on the brakes if they start to lock up from a loss of traction, and steer where you want to go.
Sponsored