Sponsored

2018 JLUR quarter panel paint cracking

pbanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Just noticed it happening on mine. Only had it 6 months. :(
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 JLUR quarter panel paint cracking 9210F06A-65F9-445C-B6CA-6C5ECE03A1C2
Sponsored

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
I have a appointment with a dealership that has a body shop on site for next month. Hopefully they fix it for good. I met up with the paint shop manager and she told me most likely the paint shop I was dealing with didn’t sand down all the way down to the metal and kept just painting over it. I’ve had the most terrible time dealing with this situation.

Just noticed it happening on mine. Only had it 6 months. :(
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 JLUR quarter panel paint cracking 9210F06A-65F9-445C-B6CA-6C5ECE03A1C2

chiefersutherland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I have a appointment with a dealership that has a body shop on site for next month. Hopefully they fix it for good. I met up with the paint shop manager and she told me most likely the paint shop I was dealing with didn’t sand down all the way down to the metal and kept just painting over it. I’ve had the most terrible time dealing with this situation.
It’s a problem with the sealant in the joint. If they aren’t taking a die grinder and removing all of the old crap and replacing it, then it’ll just keep happening.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after months of waiting to get my car finally fixed at a body shop, I was denied service. The body shop at star Chrysler ordered my rear quarter panel due to it being painted multiple times and advised me it will be fixed once and for all. The day of the appointment I went in they told me there’s no record of me being coming in for anything. At this point I was furious because I came to star Chrysler two times already for digital printing and there’s no record of that either... the service advisor was also apparently fired.. the day before I went in to get serviced, Jeep cares called and told me everything was ready to go. Apparently if a dealership painted the car no other service centers will work on your car. I went to three different dealers and they all told me to go back to where it was initially painted...

Sponsored

pbanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally took mine in last week (first oil change/tire rotation) and I am still waiting for approval.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally took mine in last week (first oil change/tire rotation) and I am still waiting for approval.
does This dealership have a body shop on site? If they don’t I prefer you to find one that does, otherwise they sending your car to a third party body shop.

pbanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i don’t think the do. Can I find my own and have FCA reimburse me?

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried doing that because bayside Jeep recommended me finding my own body shop however Jeep denied it. You should call some dealers and see if they have their own body shops on site, once the job is done you can only deal with them.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
FCA works through their dealers, so it is between you and the dealer. The dealer can only reimburse for an approved warranty repair based on the labor time guide. If a dealer does not have a body shop, the dealer will sublet the body repair out to a shop that has been properly trained and approved [hopefully]. The sublet body shop must perform the repair as per warranty guidelines and at warranty rates, if they want the job.

The repair procedure (labor time) under warranty can be dramatically different from a professional body shop that does a professional non-warranty repair. Sometimes I cringe at the work done under warranty so that the shop is able to meet the "allowed" warranty labor time.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmmm....Flexible seam sealant between body seam., Paint cracking along seam........
My guess is either the frame is flexing causing slight body flex or tail gate weight/or slamming causing qtr panel slight flex.

pbanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After not hearing from dealer via email, I finally called and left a VM. Called me back last night and I was informed FCA denied my claim. Really???
I reached out to Jeep Cares, but what other steps do I need to take?

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After not hearing from dealer via email, I finally called and left a VM. Called me back last night and I was informed FCA denied my claim. Really???
I reached out to Jeep Cares, but what other steps do I need to take?
After months of working with the multiple dealers, at this point I have no hope for this repair. I’ve had 6 repairs done and yet no results.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
After months of working with the multiple dealers, at this point I have no hope for this repair. I’ve had 6 repairs done and yet no results.

I'm trying to look at the positive side myself, at at least its aluminum and it will not rust. I also plan on getting some rear corner armor that will patch right over these panels hiding any cracking that is bound to happen in the future.

https://nextventuremotorsports.com/products/jlu-rear-corner-armor?variant=35384258625701

pbanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions on what should be the next course of action? This crack definitely reduces the value of my brand new car. Lemon Law? Small claims court?... if there are multiple jeeps with same defect... class action?
Sponsored