OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Now they are replacing the steering damper because of the "recall." And Chrysler wants to "fix" the Jeep by extending the control arms? Has anyone had this done yet?
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Now they are replacing the steering damper because of the "recall." And Chrysler wants to "fix" the Jeep by extending the control arms? Has anyone had this done yet?
Below are some of the threads discussing the lower control arms. When you say Chrysler wants to extend the control arms, is that something your dealer said or something FCA said? If FCA, do you know of a new TSB about it?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ble-lcas-finally-drives-like-it-should.14117/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691 (mentioned several times throughout the thread)

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Below are some of the threads discussing the lower control arms. When you say Chrysler wants to extend the control arms, is that something your dealer said or something FCA said? If FCA, do you know of a new TSB about it?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ble-lcas-finally-drives-like-it-should.14117/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691 (mentioned several times throughout the thread)

Eh I haven't talked directly to Chrysler. Due the attorney involvement, they cannot contact me directly. Chrysler told me this is what FCA said to do.

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
All,
In addition to everything we all have been trying we should go onto the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website and file a complaint.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

Jeep has been ignoring this issue and giving us the run around for far too long. Maybe in time we can get some help.

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Well they've had the Jeep for 2 weeks as of today. This shit is for the birds!

Sponsored

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Picked it up from the dealer. They replaced the steering damper and adjuster the caster bolts. I think it actually made the vehicle drive worse. So, now I wait on direction from the attorney.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Picked it up from the dealer. They replaced the steering damper and adjuster the caster bolts. I think it actually made the vehicle drive worse. So, now I wait on direction from the attorney.

Correct me if im wrong but i dont think wranglers have adjustable caster bolts other than cutting out the control arms bolt holes on the axle. Do you know if they did that? if so, id be pissed if they cut my new jeep instead of using adjustable control arms

Im thinking they may of done something like this
Hole-Slotted.jpg

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Still waiting...

On 10/9, FCA’s attorneys submitted their recommendation to FCA. Now FCA has been reviewing for the past 3 weeks to approve / decline their attorneys recommendation.

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
And I got a response from the attorney...no buyback or replacement. Offering cash settlement (unknown amount right now) or it will have to go to trial or arbitration.

Went to the dealership. They offered $30,000 for trade in. Payoff is $37,500.

Quoted a 2020 Grand Cherokee Upland (a lower model) at $750 per month lease.

Kill me now.

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
Posting in case it helps anyone else, I had the dealer perform the stabilizer recall and track bar TSB on my 2018 Rubicon and it handles 100% better.
I had to make constant small steering corrections at highway speeds to try and keep it in the driving lane, always tense driving (especially in high winds)
Now it’s much more relaxed.
Time will tell if it stays this way but so far so good :clap:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
You are not obligated to take a lowball cash settlement. The settlement has to include attorney fees and should also cover all depreciation costs..

Let the arbitrator drive it for a while....case closed.

Oh wait, I forgot there’s no problem it’s all our imagination!

Last edited:
OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Posting in case it helps anyone else, I had the dealer perform the stabilizer recall and track bar TSB on my 2018 Rubicon and it handles 100% better.
I had to make constant small steering corrections at highway speeds to try and keep it in the driving lane, always tense driving (especially in high winds)
Now it’s much more relaxed.
Time will tell if it stays this way but so far so good :clap:

Neither of those helped me at all, unfortunately.

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I went to a local Jeep customization shop. Guy there said aftermarket lower control arms, steering stabilizer, and track bar should solve the problem. He doesn’t seem to think the steering box needs to be replaced to the AE model. Would cost close to $2,000.

He also showed me that my dealership during one of the “repairs” blew out a front end busing link and all of the grease has come out.
Sponsored