Sponsored

2018 JL steering wander

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I have to say, I'm impressed with the Jeep Cares folks monitoring this message board. They reached out early when I experienced the problem, called me on a regular basis, wanted to know where it was being serviced, called the service department and got the updates making sure they addressed the problem, then calling me back (twice because I didn't return their first call) to make sure I was happy with the service and ask about any other problems I was having. I do have one more issue (rear window defogger wire came disconnected) and they asked if I needed them to follow up with the dealer if the part didn't come in in a reasonable timeframe. Ya, stuff happens, but Jeep is really making an effort to reach out and keeping buyers happy. Jeep Cares....a class act!
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
And class action suits only make the lawyers money. I was part of one for Walmart not paying my overtime. Yeah, what a joke. I got a check for like $2 and change! So, if anyone ever contacts me again for a class action suit, I'll tell them to kiss my ass:like:
They do tend to keep the corporations honest. Usually one individual is not enough to make a case worthwhile for relatively small infractions. For example, some investment firm that runs my 401k was skimming investment fees. Although individuals only got like $20 it was nice to see that firm have to pay out something like a half a billion dollars. Even though it was probably split half between lawyers and plaintiffs it helps keep firms honest.
That said, I usually don't go through the hassle either :LOL:

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My thoughts, after six weeks of owning my first Jeep, is many of these complaints are from not understanding that these vehicles will not drive like one with rack, and pinion steering. I was full of doubt myself, but the more I drive mine the more I have gotten use to the steering. Now, it's something I just don't think about, I just enjoy the Jeep. Yes it has a bit of play in the wheel, but it tracks fine. Maybe some folks should take a little more time to understand the Jeep isn't a sports car, or any other style car for that matter, and learn how to drive a vehicle with a solid front axle.

Disclaimer: These are just my thoughts, opinion, and feelings. In no way do I think everyone should have the same thoughts as me. I also understand there are some that could have serious problems that need to be addressed by FCA.

Lorenc

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My thoughts, after six weeks of owning my first Jeep, is many of these complaints are from not understanding that these vehicles will not drive like one with rack, and pinion steering. I was full of doubt myself, but the more I drive mine the more I have gotten use to the steering. Now, it's something I just don't think about, I just enjoy the Jeep. Yes it has a bit of play in the wheel, but it tracks fine. Maybe some folks should take a little more time to understand the Jeep isn't a sports car, or any other style car for that matter, and learn how to drive a vehicle with a solid front axle.

Disclaimer: These are just my thoughts, opinion, and feelings. In no way do I think everyone should have the same thoughts as me. I also understand there are some that could have serious problems that need to be addressed by FCA.
Just adding a little positive caster made all the difference in highway “wandering”

Loren

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Just adding a little positive caster made all the difference in highway “wandering”

Loren
Thanks Loren, I'll keep that in mind. My Sahara was like a ship without a rudder when I took it home from the dealer. But, I took the advise from forum members, and checked the tire air pressure. There was 42 psi in every tire. No wonder it wandered (;)). At that much pressure the center of the tires was the only thing touching the road. Setting the tries at 32 psi took the wonder out. After that it was up to me to get used to the steering.

Last edited:

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks Loren, I'll keep that in mind. My Sahara was like a ship without a rudder when I took it home from the delaer. But, I took the advise from forum members, and checked the tire air pressure. There was 42 psi in every tire. No wonder it wondered (;)). At that much pressure the center of the tires was the only thing touching the road. Setting the tries at 32 psi took the wonder out. After that it was up to me to get used to the steering.
Do you get the low PSI warning on your dash if you have it at 32 PSI?

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL

I get that. I came from a Ram 1500, but I had a JKU prior. The difference in the handling is huge.

Sponsored

fdavid

First Name
Fran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I get that. I came from a Ram 1500, but I had a JKU prior. The difference in the handling is huge.
Yeah the JLs and JKs are like night and day for steering!

ZombieMojitoJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Saraha
Vehicle Showcase
I leased my 2018 JL Sport S 5/22. I have the wandering steering issue. Vehicle has attempted to be repaired 3 times. Dealership said there is nothing that they can do. Now what?
I brought my 2018 JL Sahara in for a CREAKING PASSENGER SEAT (which they are replacing) the service writer mentioned to me a RECALL on ALL 2018-2019 to have a Steering Dampener installed. Anyone Else hear about this? I read about a Class Action Lawsuit regarding "Death Wobble" - Luckily mine steers straight like an arrow though the creaking seat drives me nutz! LOL

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I brought my 2018 JL Sahara in for a CREAKING PASSENGER SEAT (which they are replacing) the service writer mentioned to me a RECALL on ALL 2018-2019 to have a Steering Dampener installed. Anyone Else hear about this? I read about a Class Action Lawsuit regarding "Death Wobble" - Luckily mine steers straight like an arrow though the creaking seat drives me nutz! LOL
Recall V41. It is mentioned in the main steering thread. No one has posted the actual PDF yet, can't find it. Also found this: https://www.new-jeep-forum.de/thread/5577-customer-satisfaction-notification-v41-steering-damper/

"The front suspension steering damper on about 18,783 of the above vehicles may not effectively damp oscillation of the steering system, resulting in a sustained shake or shimmy in the steering wheel."

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder