Sponsored

2018 JL steering wander

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If the recall ends up being only the stabilizer, then don't get your hopes too high. When I took mine in for wandering, they ordered/installed the latest greatest "AE" stabilizer. Dealer was decent to work with, but that was only thing they changed. If it made any difference, it was negligible. Still wanders, steering still loose. Got too many other things going on to start a back and forth with dealer over it...just played with the air pressures a bit and learning to live with it otherwise. Sucks for long Interstate trips compared to my old JK, but it is what it is at this point.
Did they mount your steering stabilizer with the intake bulge up or down?
Sponsored

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Did they mount your steering stabilizer with the intake bulge up or down?
Pardon my ignorance of steering/suspension components, but can you explain what I would be looking for to check that?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Pardon my ignorance of steering/suspension components, but can you explain what I would be looking for to check that?
On the end of the OEM steering stabilizer that connects to the bracket near the passenger tire, check for a slight bulge. Picture below.

intake buldge.png

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
On the end of the OEM steering stabilizer that connects to the bracket near the passenger tire, check for a slight bulge. Picture below.

intake buldge.png
Finally got a minute to crawl under and look. The bulge is pointing downward. There is actually a directional decal next to the part number decal with an arrow pointing towards "front of vehicle"

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Took my new '18 Rubicon 2 door (8/18 production) to the dealer yesterday for the wandering steering issue. Looks like there's a new TSB for the updated track bar replacement- TSB # 02-003-19 per the dealer invoice. Can't find any details online, but according to my tech, it replaced the the February Starcase noting the availability of a new track bar with stiffer bushings. Still waiting on a new steering damper per recall V41- dealer said they're alloted one every 11 days- mine should be here next Monday. The steering was noticeably better just with the new trackbar.

Sponsored

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Took my new '18 Rubicon 2 door (8/18 production) to the dealer yesterday for the wandering steering issue. Looks like there's a new TSB for the updated track bar replacement- TSB # 02-003-19 per the dealer invoice. Can't find any details online, but according to my tech, it replaced the the February Starcase noting the availability of a new track bar with stiffer bushings. Still waiting on a new steering damper per recall V41- dealer said they're alloted one every 11 days- mine should be here next Monday. The steering was noticeably better just with the new trackbar.
Unfortunately, that new track bar was put on mine 6/24 and it did not help at all. I had my dad (he's an ex mechanic who has done all maintenance on every vehicle we've ever owned) and without looking underneath he thinks the whole steering box needs to be replaced. It's such a shame. I mentioned the PCM flash that has helped / worked for some people and I was basically looked at like I was crazy by the dealership.

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
The fact that I literally just got a PM from someone who lives by me and is dealing with the same dealership is infuriating. I can't believe that they completely play stupid like they've never heard of the issue before.

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Today the attorney received FCA’s acknowledgement of my claim. Now I have to allow 60 days for FCA to respond. This is going to be the death of me.

Jsmith807

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara unlimited jl
FCA needs to refund us for new Adjustable LCA's, Solid adjustable track bars, and drag links. From what I am reading, replacing all of this will fix the issue although I would not be surprised if the Steering box also needs to be replaced. I have a brand new 2018 JL Sahara that I bought for my daughter. It now how 400 miles on it and has been to dealer 3x. Has had PCM reflashed, stabilizer replaced, trackbar replaced and am now experiencing steering wheel shutter every time I cross a break in the Highway when I am driving over 50MPH. I am scared to let my daughter drive and Dealership has my 1 week out to even look at it and then of course not fix the problem. This is very frustrating and a horrible experience for my daughters first car. Jeep needs to step up as I am about to try and get this to go viral so no one will buy these moving forward. Very dissapointing as I own multiple Wranglers

Sponsored

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
FCA needs to refund us for new Adjustable LCA's, Solid adjustable track bars, and drag links. From what I am reading, replacing all of this will fix the issue although I would not be surprised if the Steering box also needs to be replaced. I have a brand new 2018 JL Sahara that I bought for my daughter. It now how 400 miles on it and has been to dealer 3x. Has had PCM reflashed, stabilizer replaced, trackbar replaced and am now experiencing steering wheel shutter every time I cross a break in the Highway when I am driving over 50MPH. I am scared to let my daughter drive and Dealership has my 1 week out to even look at it and then of course not fix the problem. This is very frustrating and a horrible experience for my daughters first car. Jeep needs to step up as I am about to try and get this to go viral so no one will buy these moving forward. Very dissapointing as I own multiple Wranglers

We are essentially in the same situation. I have my videos and all of my documentation to release if need should be. One of my best friends Mom is a producer for our local news station. I will go that route if need be :)

Jsmith807

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara unlimited jl
We are essentially in the same situation. I have my videos and all of my documentation to release if need should be. One of my best friends Mom is a producer for our local news station. I will go that route if need be :)
Everyone needs to be posting. This is crap that they are selling vehicles that are not drivable. Pretty sad that my 2013 JK drives perfect and my new JL is not even safe to drive to the store. They should be paying me for my time wasted dealing with this crap

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Everyone needs to be posting. This is crap that they are selling vehicles that are not drivable. Pretty sad that my 2013 JK drives perfect and my new JL is not even safe to drive to the store. They should be paying me for my time wasted dealing with this crap
That is hilarious. I had a brand new 2013 JKU 2013-2016 and it had not a single issue!!!!

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just got an email from the attorney that FCA wants to insect the vehicle. Seems rather pointless since one of their goons already, allegedly, test drove my vehicle at the dealership and said it is driving as designed... here goes more of my time to be wasted.

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Got an inspection date of 8/28. Guess I twiddle my thumbs until then.
Sponsored