2018 JL steering wander

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I leased my 2018 JL Sport S 5/22. I have the wandering steering issue. Vehicle has attempted to be repaired 3 times. Dealership said there is nothing that they can do. Now what?
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Fine the star and TSB somewhere on here, print them out and go back.
Some have found a loose bolt in the steering box has fixed the wander issue.
What has the dealer done?
Did they bring the tow in some?
Replace SS?
Check steering box for looseness?

My dealer adjusted my tow spec , put in a new SS and the updated track bar and my JL drives straight as an arrow unless it is windy

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Welcome.

Lots of good reading...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/issues-repairs-warranty-tsb-recalls.49/

-Open Star case with Jeep cares (this will get the Jeep issues resolved a lot faster after the dealer told you nothing can be done).
- Most issues are resolved by under warranty:
checking all front suspension bolts for proper torque (ball joint nuts with cotter pin)(clicking noise) are JK specs and need JL specs. Remove cotter pin and tighten.
-replace OEM steering stabilizer with new AE version or aftermarket.
-new OEM updated track bar
-TSB that will flash and update the sensitivity of the steering (steering wheel has a lot of play going straight with no movement of the front tires.
-and/or replace the steering box

My club (5) and both my Jeeps had all the above done at the dealership and all steering issues are GONE!

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Welcome.

Lots of good reading...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/issues-repairs-warranty-tsb-recalls.49/

-Open Star case with Jeep cares (this will get the Jeep issues resolved a lot faster after the dealer told you nothing can be done).
- Most issues are resolved by under warranty:
checking all front suspension bolts for proper torque (ball joint nuts with cotter pin)(clicking noise) are JK specs and need JL specs. Remove cotter pin and tighten.
-replace OEM steering stabilizer with new AE version or aftermarket.
-new OEM updated track bar
-TSB that will flash and update the sensitivity of the steering (steering wheel has a lot of play going straight with no movement of the front tires.
-and/or replace the steering box

My club (5) and both my Jeeps had all the above done at the dealership and all steering issues are GONE!

I have been in constant contact with Chrysler since last Wednesday. My dealer basically told me yesterday to take my vehicle and wait until Jeep releases a fix. I was told a STAR case had already been opened (that was a lie) and it will be opened by Friday. So far, only the track bar has been replaced. I appreciate all of the information. I went and drove a 2019 yesterday and it was like night and day.

OP
OP

glang1992

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Fine the star and TSB somewhere on here, print them out and go back.
Some have found a loose bolt in the steering box has fixed the wander issue.
What has the dealer done?
Did they bring the tow in some?
Replace SS?
Check steering box for looseness?

My dealer adjusted my tow spec , put in a new SS and the updated track bar and my JL drives straight as an arrow unless it is windy

So far, they have only replaced the track bar then sent the vehicle back to me saying there was nothing else they could do.

Sponsored

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Took mine in. Was told its within manufacturer specifications. They wouldn't even check my toe in or torque settings when requested. When i mentioned the upgraded stabilizer and trackbar they said they never heard of it and wouldn't replace it anyways since theres no problems with my jeep

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At first I got the same “it’s within specs” and vin shows no TSB.
Contacted Jeep cares and told the whole story and next day dealer called and said bring it in and we have been authorized to do all the above.
Same story with my friends Jeep and the dealer would not touch it until he contacted Jeep cares.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I don’t know how leasing works in the US but in the UK if I was getting the run around/no help from the dealership I’d be talking to the lease company....they own it.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired

Sponsored

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Are you having steering problems then Gus? I don’t think I’ve seen complaints about any other RHD Wranglers
It's not perfect - about 1-1/2" of slack at the steering wheel before anything significant happens at the road wheels when you go to turn in the opposite direction. It's not bad enough to be dangerous, just annoying, you have to be paying attention to what's going on the whole time instead of just 'enjoying the ride'. You don't notice it so much on the twisty country roads, but it is :swear: frustrating on a good straight stretch of road, particularly motorways.

It's about the same amount of play I have on my old 1973 Series 3 Landrover, so I'm used to it. The difference is the Landy has done 175K miles and has 70 BHP to give a top speed of 55mph. I was hoping that my 2018 JL would have seen some advances in steering technology to keep up with the improvement in performance. Clearly not a high priority for Jeep!

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Yeah, contact the lease company or jeep cares.
Replacing the track bar, SS and checking torque is more for those with wobble issues.
Loose steering is 100% the steering box, whether it is loose, programmed wrong or just bad is what they should determine.
Toe being out does not help it at all...if you let go of the steering wheel and your jeep goes right, your toe is too far out, IDGAF if it is within manufacturer specs.
I could visually see my toe was too far out, asked them to bring the toe in even before FCA released the new toe specs, got the same ol...it is within spec.

Maybe I should be a service advisor for my dealer...since I like researching and fixing things.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anybody hear of a potential recall coming due to "Death Wobble lawsuit"?

Read on here that someone was talking to a Jeep engineer and said that with all the JL steering issues, all new parts for the front suspension will be addressed including new track bar, possible FOX steering stabilizer and new redesigned steering box and longer (adjustable LCA ?) (Gives you your caster back 6.5 which helps with wandering)

Does a recall mean that every JL owner will get these parts installed with no more BS from dealers?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I would imagine one of the downsides to the ‘death wobble lawsuit’ is that Jeep will do nothing until they know the outcome.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I would imagine one of the downsides to the ‘death wobble lawsuit’ is that Jeep will do nothing until they know the outcome.
And class action suits only make the lawyers money. I was part of one for Walmart not paying my overtime. Yeah, what a joke. I got a check for like $2 and change! So, if anyone ever contacts me again for a class action suit, I'll tell them to kiss my ass:like:
Sponsored